Gyre: Maelstrom - Announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame has spotted the new RPG Gyre: Maelstrom, in which you can tailor your own adventure:

What is Gyre: Maelstrom?

Gyre: Maelstrom is a video game for PC and Console that is based on a mechanical post-futuristic dystopia stemming from alt-history events of the mid-1800s. Characters are androids with human consciousness and are capable of massive customization. The player character progresses through a non-linear, non-scripted narrative of meaningful choices generated in real-time, that impact their story.

What is the Gyre?

The inhabitants simply call it “the Gyre”. One of only a handful of massive cities left in the world. The Gyre (pronouned “jahyuhr” or “jire”) has consumed what someone might recall as Paris, the city now having evolved and merged with past iconic landmarks. It is home to millions. A prison to some. A delight to others.

[...]
From HardcoreGamer:

Canadian developer Evodant Interactive are aiming high with a game that looks not just ambitious, but sounds like it’s attempting to wholly add weight and even rewrite the very purpose of the word role within role-playing games. And coupled with a steampunk-like backdrop, fully customizable gameplay and a structural design that evolves the further you get in, there’s no denying there are already earnest amounts of material to catch the eye of even the most light-hearted of RPG followers. But while Evodant may want to spin a tale on continually-advancing technology, it’s the dwindled presence of humanity — and the resulting consequences that’ve unfolded between these two eventful periods — and the way Gyre as both a city and a game evolves that can potentially give it a huge step-up above others.

Gyre: Maelstrom primarily centers this around a procedurally-generated city populated by a whopping eight million NPCs, but it’s the very fact the city shapes and molds itself around your play-style that is most striking. Whether you prefer to practice parkour across rooftops, fight it out on the streets or try to learn the secrets of the tale behind this robot-populated civilisation, the city of Gyre will change and adapt to the way you want to play it. The game is built around the Toska Engine, a system that reacts instinctively to player-choice and calculates these changes based on real-time decisions. The moment you come up against (but not immediately engage with) a combat situation for example, will be the exact moment — like so many times prior — that the path continues to further deviate and transforms ever further into something more tailored and custom to your own unique play-style.
More information.

Sure is ambitious, will follow.

This is extremely interesting from a scientific perspective.
I doubt that it's possible to procedurally create an actual interesting and joyful narrative at this time but I'd very happily be proven wrong.
Need to read a bit about this Toska Engine...

Unfortunately I couldn't find detailed information on how the Toska engine works but at least I found out that they have been working on the game since 2013. Research and development of the Toska engine reaches even more back.

'All Along the Watchtower' is one of my favorite songs:

They have spotted us, we are now under AI surveillance.

HA! Nice message, thx… but now Gyre Overwatch AI knows we know. If they spotted our news that means that RPGWatch was irregularly watched. Now we are probably closely monitored.

It reminds me of this: :)

img_1445-1200x800.jpg

Its actually strange coincidence… Because yesterday I found big grasshopper in my home. In a room with only slightly opened windows. It showed some suicide tendencies when trying to hide before me, but didnt succeed and was thrown out. That poor creature looked alive and biological to me, but now… hmmmm…. I wonder if some AI uses robotical grasshoppers or flies as spies. :)

So please, GYRE AI, if you are watching us… let us know on your FB.. are you harmless or nice or chameleon-like or real spy? It could be small first contact… maybe before another contact if mighty AI is not afraid of human curiosity. ;)

Thx

Farflame, watcher watching overwatch AI

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom