Josh Sawyer - Historical RPGs, "Save Scumming"

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Josh Sawyer has been verbose lately on his Tumblr page, answering fan questions about a variety of topics. He's been talking about save scumming in Fallout: New Vegas, as well as work on other projects.

Obsidian Entertainment's Josh Sawyer continues to crank out answers to community-submitted questions over on his Tumblr page, with the latest topics including the mechanics in Fallout: New Vegas used to deter "save-scumming", whether he'd consider licensing Ars Magica or Darklands for the planned historical RPG project, Pillars of Eternity combat mechanic effects, and more. A sampling from the latest post:

yellowthirteen asked: Hi Josh. I've seen you mention previously how some mechanics in New Vegas were implemented in order to deter save scumming (e.g. hard speech checks). Do you think that, in general, systems which are susceptible to save scumming also tend to be less fun for players? Or would heavily percentage/RNG-based game elements be just fine in a world where save scumming didn't exist?

Tabletop RPGs are the world in which save scumming doesn’t exist, so I think it serves as a reasonable subject for comparison. In TTRPGs, most GMs/DMs/storytellers/god emperors won’t allow players to re-roll or take back the consequences of a stand-alone check (e.g., trying to pick the lock on a door). The game may have built in mechanics for retrying a check, but otherwise the player has to live with the results. Some games also have a caution to let the results stand, e.g. Burning Wheel’s “let it ride” recommendation won’t let the player test again unless the circumstances surrounding the test change significantly.

In these situations, the tension/exhilaration/relief/anguish comes from the “no take back” stakes. Here’s a video from a D&D game we played a few years ago. Darren’s character would die if the incoming damage were over a certain threshold:

https://www.instagram.com/p/kFyR2sJxy4/

That sort of reaction happens in a TTRPG because you can’t reload from it. The chaos of die ranges normalizes in a combat, which is why save-scumming is not usually as big of a deal outside of early combat save-or-die effects.

There is also a different feeling for many people that comes from rolling physical dice rather than seeing a RNG spit out a result. A lot of people like an element of randomness in games. It increases tension and uncertainty. It doesn’t really matter that people are colossally awful at understanding probability (e.g. listen to people cry about “bad beats” in poker). The emotional aspect of rolling is more compelling than the rational analysis/problem solving aspect of considering the odds.
More information.

He's forgetting something though: Content in an RPG is incredibly expensive. You can't just cut people off from stuff with the roll of a dice, unless you have absurd amounts of it. In table top RPGs you can just make it up as you go along, which is a completely different situation.

Also, I'm not sure how popular it would be in a table top RPG if people died after 20 minutes and only half the group could continue, especially if the rest of the game was balanced for a full party. Again though: In a table top RPG, you can just re-balance along the way, or re-introduce the player with some new character you just made up that happened to bump into the existing party. These things are much more static in PC RPGs, and would be almost impossible to get right for an AI, unlike a good GM.

Josh strikes again.

Fallout:NV is not FO1 nor FO2. F:NV just like FO3 contains endless trashmob respawns "feature". Because trashmobs are unavoidable, there is no point in savescumming, save or not save, all those trashmobs will still appear. If savescumming was a way to get rid of those trashmobs, I'd be the first one to scum!
Good job on making savescumming in F:NV irrelevant Josh, because we all just adore filler!

Is there random loot in F:NV? If there is, I can understand why would someone go savescumming. If all the loot is handplaced on the other hand… Anyway I don't know if there was random loot, I didn't savescum in FNV, there was no point.
But another example - random loot is the very reason of savescumming in D:OS (I didn't do it, many did for a reason to get a better loot).

So why are some people savescumming in a game? Because of too much involved RNG. And who can put RNG more important than any other aspect in the game?
Josh, himself. Good luck with roguelikes.

And why masking the whole point by tabletop talk? Recently Josh was about balance, now about game saving.
He's obviously into MMO designs. Well Josh, singleplayer games do not need MMO designs. Return to BlackIsle style already.

Ugh, Joxer you've gone off the rails again. Sawyer is a cool guy. Gets +1 for aggravating those damn codexians in my book.:p

I played through Fallout New Vegas using his Sawyer ultra difficulty mod that was mentioned a few times on this site. I had never played the game before. It was excellent... quite challenging, made exploring each area fun and valuable. After 100s of hours, I thought the ending of the main campaign was a letdown, but how could it not be i suppose.

He's forgetting something though: Content in an RPG is incredibly expensive. You can't just cut people off from stuff with the roll of a dice, unless you have absurd amounts of it. In table top RPGs you can just make it up as you go along, which is a completely different situation.

Also, I'm not sure how popular it would be in a table top RPG if people died after 20 minutes and only half the group could continue, especially if the rest of the game was balanced for a full party. Again though: In a table top RPG, you can just re-balance along the way, or re-introduce the player with some new character you just made up that happened to bump into the existing party. These things are much more static in PC RPGs, and would be almost impossible to get right for an AI, unlike a good GM.
The Age of Decadence?

The situation is very simple: you need to support fail scenarios in every mission. They can be as simple as they get "go there and bring this" and if "this" is destroyed, the world needs to react accordingly. And not with a simple "ah well, you'll do better next time and you take less experience, here's your next quest".

Ugh, Joxer you've gone off the rails again. Sawyer is a cool guy. Gets +1 for aggravating those damn codexians in my book.:p

If he really managed to poke codexians, all is forgiven.

I have no problem with save scumming. I've always done it, and I'm going to continue doing it. So there.

Yea, but you can't do it in Alpha Protocol.
I suspect you can checkpointscum in that game though. ;)

FO:NV + DLCs (even the excellent and difficult Dead Money) + user mods = among my most cherished RPG experiences. My only regret was the RobCo Mod that let you create cyborg hybrid companions out of basically anything dead (or living) lying around. When I created a mad-cool Cyborg DeathDog - 60% metal & alloy, 40% dog-flesh, brain & bone - with one ruined eye replaced by a glowing red Terminator peeper, my game would completely crash every time I would sic him on someone :( But for ultimately making that possible, and for creating the base game, Josh is A-1 in my book, boys and girls. A-ONE.

I have no problem with save scumming. I've always done it, and I'm going to continue doing it. So there.

Hi, my name is Jack and I am a save scummer. I'm deeply ashamed of it though, wish I could be out of the closet and proud about it like you, and I don't think this support group is going to make me feel better about it, so if you all will excuse me, I'm going to go into the corner and roll up into a fetal ball and rock myself back and forth, repeating to myself over & over, "YOU DISGUSTING SAVE SCUMMER! YOU MAKE ME SICK! GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!"

I've never used SS for loot drops in any game. What I have done is Save before any encounter so that if I get my ass handed to me and die, I can reload and try again. Also, in FO3, NV, and FO4, I back out and retry while hacking terminals so I don't get locked out. Cheat? Exploit? I don't feel it's a big deal.

The last bit leaves question on the understanding of probabilities.

Lately, crowdfunded projects have tried to dismiss save and reload. It has nothing to do with gaming. These days, this is about sinking hours into an activity and quite a large number of video products are content browsers.
Therefore banning save and reload extends the content: instead of saving at a branch node and reload to see alternate content, players are forced to go through the same content over and over again to see the alternate content.
That is a major difference with video products and tbt: content is pre existent. In a tbt, players miss no content through a dice roll, a GM might want to link up if anything though worthwhile was excluded by a dice roll.

The comparison to tabletop rpgs is off: learners of a game are usually allowed to retake any roll until they have an understanding of the basic gameplay mechanics. Gaming is not about punishing people for taking bad decisions out of ignorance.

Save reload works the same during the learning stage. It is quite useless to keep enduring the unwanted decision made out of ignorance. For a gamer, this would only delay the moment when the game is started to be played (for devs, though, it conveniently extends the time spent on the product and since for players, it is about sinking hours)
Once the game mechanics are understood, it makes no sense to save and reload since the decision was made in awareness. Except when the game is poorly designed and the outcome is punitive.

What we need is a save scumming mini game involving battles versus respawning trash mobs in a randomly generated dungeon to escape from purgatory. :p

Save scumming. I've done it and felt dirty afterwards. It's like reading a strategy guide or walkthrough to solve a puzzle. I don't recommend it.

I do wish more RPGs gave you some sort of "hardcore" limited save options. I asked the Ghostlight publishers to consider something like this with Elminage Gothic. In that game, the design is so tight except for the fact that you can save whenever and wherever. In practice, this makes the game too easy at times, even with challenging encounters, you can save after every success.

Glad that Bard's Tale 4 is going to have limited saving options. For challenging RPGs going forward this option needs to be on the table.

Back
Top Bottom