Torment: Tides of Numenera - Brilliantly weird

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCGamesN thinks that Torment: Tides of Numenera is the most brilliantly weird RPG you'll ever play:

Torment: Tides of Numenera is the most brilliantly weird RPG you'll ever play

The world of Torment may well be the most imaginative gaming has ever seen. ‘Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic’ said Arthur C. Clarke, and it’s a law that developers inXile have run with. The Ninth World is neck-deep in ‘magic’, AKA technology from a billion years in the future, and you can tell that the writers have had a riot of a time creating it.

Related: the best RPGs on PC.

“We didn’t want to go too crazy. We wanted to tell a coherent, cohesive, satisfying story that is about you,” says Colin McComb, creative lead on Tides of Numenera, as he presents his work at Gamescom 2016.

Some examples of the ‘not too crazy’ things you can do in Torment are:

• You can die, reappear in your own mind, and chat with the ghosts of people you’ve met. You can press them for secrets they would never have told you in the real world.
  • You can enter someone’s memories and change their past. When you emerge from that memory, reality will have changed around you.
  • You can sell a companion to a robotic slaver, who will harvest their body for its youth.
  • You can help a giant robot give birth, steal the babies, and use them as explosives.
  • You can feed your friends to a predator the size of a city.
  • You can travel to a world of crystal and light and discover that it’s a supercomputer that killed itself out of desperate loneliness as it circled a dying star in a forgotten corner of the galaxy.
[...]
More information.

Moving the standard up. Frian Bargo does it again.

I wish I could've contributed there ... ;)

DarNoor said:
Sounds right up my alley.

Mine too.

- You can help a giant robot give birth, steal the babies, and use them as explosives.

For some strange reason it reminded me of Alien queen giving birth to "humanoid alien". Hmm, Im probably weird too. :p

My most anticipated game. Afraid to even play it before it's completed and officially released, don't want to spoil the experience.

Not just the most imaginative, but probably the most complex game I've ever seen. My mind boggles at all the subsystems that have to work together and all the branching paths that have to have viable outcomes. I'm not surprised they have trouble with bugs. :sweatdrop:

Some members broke NDA on the forums repeatedly so the publisher blacklisted codex

Why so much hate @codex?

I've been wondering that for at least a decade.

The official definition of RPG Codex at Urban Dictionary…
Literally one of the hells in the Internet. This is an internet forum for the discussion of anything that's related to role-playing games but just like most internet forums, they can deviate from that and discuss other things. However, most of the members of that particular forum seems to hate pretty much everything, say curse words all the time, accuse fictional characters of being things that they dislike, and regularly use racist or antisemitic words all the time. Even the moderators are pretty terrible as they also seem to unable to stop the insanity of the forums and they sometimes even join in the racism, cursing and trolling. Overall, the place is one of the literal hells of the Internet. Seriously, it's on par with youtube comments, gamefaqs message boards and comic book resources in terms of stupidity and insanity.

What's the definition of the word rpgcodex?

Hell itself.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rpgcodex

Why so much hate @codex?

It gives them something new to shitpost about in phony outrage for the next ten years. They enjoy that much more than RPGs.

Good one.

The Codex/inXile situation is now cleared up:

So, I just had a long Steam chat conversation with Brother None. Since he finally agreed to reply to me, I'm going to extend him the courtesy of not posting a full transcript in public. But I will say this for closure's sake:

My above theory is sort of correct. But it goes deeper than that. Brother None actually believed that I revealed the console port on July 19th, and then edited it out of that post. That's why he didn't bother to examine the truth of Techland's claim. He thinks I'm such an inveterate leaker that I must have spilled it all.

Even now I'm not sure if he believes me that I didn't. Brother None is a loyal corporate servant now and he'll never admit that inXile fucked up. We can only wait and see and what happens in the future.

This will nourish the Codex hivemind for centuries.

Ah, Codex-Fargo incident. After Watergate , greatest scandal of this century.
Torment ( of Codex): Tides of no interviews. :p

Ah, Codex-Fargo incident. After Watergate , greatest scandal of this century.
Torment ( of Codex): Tides of no interviews. :p

They've gone fully batshit now. They're conducting a real-life vendetta against the rep from Inxile, digging up his own grotty posting history, and HHR is the voice of reason!

It's hardly a "vendetta", they're not even using his real name. And his colorful posting history is no secret:

EvEaXW2.png

usTMICG.png

No need to post that here. Anyone that gives a damn about peering into the murk of the Codex will look into it for themselves, and that's not going to be very many. I'm just mildly amused, and things have been a bit slow since the great crash.

Also, yes, they have posted his name, and photo, and twitter account, and talked about getting him fired. To their credit, some members have had the sanity to try and put the brakes on.

What it really comes down to is that the Codex can't decide if it wants to be a 4chan tribute band, or a games site that is actually taken seriously. Trying to be both is failing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom