Divinity: Original Sin II - Interview with David Walgrave

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GameWatcher has an interview with the producer of Divinity: Original Sin II David Walgrave They ask him how the development of the game went and about some of its features.

GameWatcher: One of the more interesting additions to the first Original Sin game was the RPG editor. Will it be returning in this game?

David Walgrave: Yes, it will return. We are doing everything we can to make it more user-friendly. We also want to see what people want to use it for, so that the most requested features are more intuitive. Because in the end, this is our own editor. It's a developer's tool, and a complex one at that, but it's the right tool for us to create a game as ambitious as this.

GameWatcher: Speaking of the RPG Editor, did you guys ever see some of your fans' creations? What did you think of their work?

David Walgrave: We are always looking at the efforts of our community. Feedback is really important for us, and we are also interested in the ways how people interact with certain features. We even contacted one of the modders because of his exceptional skills, but unfortunately, he was not able to relocate.

GameWatcher: What do you think makes this game stand out, compared to other games in the genre?

David Walgrave: I'm usually not very into graphics, but I do think our engine (built in-house) is doing extremely well. It's fully 3D, supports an insane amount of interactive items, and has all sorts of fancy, state-of-the-art things going on. For instance, in our new engine, we use PBR and we have cloth simulation; everything looks so detailed and sharp from up close and any angle. I think our programming team deserves a huge ovation for a change!

Other than that, I love our combat system; it's easy to understand, but it has so many different possibilities, abilities, skills, and talents. It becomes more complex, chaotic, and fun the deeper into it that you go.

I also think a Divinity game stands out because of our design philosophies: Everything can be moved, used, and destroyed if you like. You can talk to anyone, trade with them, kill them. Systemic reactivity forces us to design the world in such a way that it really comes to life. This world that we've created is full of memorable experiences that are really going to get people talking.
More information.

Have details been released on the the other two of the four preset characters? So far I've only seen descriptions of the cannibal elf and the Red Prince.

Just 11 days before we can put our hands on this 'thing'.....

Back
Top Bottom