Digital Antiquarian - So You Want to be a Hero?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Digital Antiquarian looks back at Hero's Quest (aka Quest for Glory) and analyses what made the Coles different from other developers at the time.

So, while Corey programmed in Sierra's offices, Lori sat at home with their young son, sketching out a game. In fact, knowing that Sierra's entire business model revolved around game series rather than one-offs, she sketched out a plan for four games, each taking place in a different milieu corresponding to one of the four points of the compass, one of the four seasons, and one of the four classical elements of Earth, Fire, Air, and Water. As was typical of CRPGs of this period, the player would be able to transfer the same character, evolving and growing in power all the while, into each successive game in the series.

With his established tabletop-RPG designer still not having turned up, Ken finally relented and brought Lori on to make her hybrid game. But the programmer with whom she was initially teamed was very religious, and refused to continue when he learned that the player would have the option of choosing a "thief" class. And so, after finishing up some of his porting projects, Corey joined her on what they were now calling called Hero's Quest I: So You Want to Be a Hero. Painted in the broadest strokes, he became what he describes as the "left brain" to Lori's "right brain" on the project, focusing on the details of systems and rules while Lori handled the broader aspects of plot and setting. Still, these generalized roles were by no means absolute. It was Corey, for instance, an incorrigible punster - so don't incorrige him! - who contributed most of the horrid puns that abound throughout the finished game.

Less than hardcore though they envisioned their hybrid to be, Lori and Corey nevertheless wanted to do far more than simply graft a few statistics and a combat engine onto a typical Sierra adventure game. They would offer their player the choice of three classes, each with its own approach to solving problems: through combat and brute force in the case of the fighter, through spells in the case of the magic user, through finesse and trickery in the case of the thief. This meant that the Coles would in effect have to design Hero's Quest three times, twining together an intricate tapestry of differing solutions to its problems. Considering this reality, one inevitably thinks of what Ron Gilbert said immediately after finishing Maniac Mansion, a game in which the player could select her own team of protagonists but one notably free of the additional complications engendered by Hero's Quest‘s emergent CRPG mechanics: "I'm never doing that again!" The Coles, however, would not only do it again - in fact, four times more - but they would consistently do it well, succeeding at the tricky task of genre blending where designers as talented as Brian Moriarty had stumbled.
More information.

I will always have fond memories of this series, especially the first three. I still remember getting my first real sound card at the same time as getting the third game. The music, at that time in the early 1990s were almost shockingly impressive.

Same here, very fond memories, especially of quest for glory 2 (pre vga remake)

Back
Top Bottom