HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Strategy RPG Shock Tactics will be available in the first quarter of 2017:

Trailer:

Writing Bull Preview [German]:

Shock Tactics is a single player turn-based sci-fi strategy game with tactical combat, exploration, squad management and base building. It is inspired by the space western style of Firefly and tactic games like Jagged Alliance and X-COM.

You are a trailblazer for the first wave of the free Space Pioneers that are exploring an ancient alien homeworld. In their centuries-old struggle with the dictatorship of the Imperial Consortium, this planet is the first real hope of finding a new home for their people.

• Challenging squad tactics combat: Lead your strike team against smart enemies that employ a large array of tactics. Know your enemy, build a strategy, rule the battlefield.
  • Exploration is key: The world map is full of mysterious landmarks containing alien technologies and ancient secrets that you can unravel to become strong enough to tip the balance of fate.
  • Procedurally generated world map: You never know what you will find when exploring the world. This makes strategic decisions unique for each game session and leads to a high replayability.
  • Strike team progression: Harness the power of the alien artifacts, unlock unique abilities and build your group of soldiers into a fierce strike team as you explore the planet.
  • Base building: Expand your base with structures to build advanced weapons, develop sophisticated healing capabilities and research alien technologies.
  • An immersive story woven into the open world: You are dragged into the struggle for the New World’s future while trying to stay alive in the middle of an escalating war between the Space Pioneers and the Imperial Consortium.
More information.

Last edited:
They won me at " It is inspired by (..) tactic games like Jagged Alliance and X-COM."

:)

Single Player, Turn Based.

Looks like a blend of Alpha Centauri and XCom.

I'm in.

I agree with JDR to some degree, but yeah, still interested.

Can anyone speaking German listen to the second video and give us most interesting tidbits from it?

Did you guys notice how visual effects of your actions get paused after like 25% of it happens, like with that explosion in the trailer?
Then it all happens in the end to simulate visually that time is not really paused :)

Base building. I tried to, but did never find why this is attractive for so many players. We also have that in ArmA, people are crying for base building, to me it is a waste of developer resources. If I want base building I can play DF :)

Base building. I tried to, but did never find why this is attractive for so many players. We also have that in ArmA, people are crying for base building, to me it is a waste of developer resources. If I want base building I can play DF :)

Because it connects tactical combat with another layer. You do tactical combat, get resources out of winning it and use those for other things like base building.

UFO and Xcom is also procedurally generated world. It didn't make it a bad game :)

You don't really explore in XCOM though. Shock Tactics is different because it lists exploration as a key feature. That's where I would prefer a crafted world instead of procedural generation.

You don't really explore in XCOM though. Shock Tactics is different because it lists exploration as a key feature. That's where I would prefer a crafted world instead of procedural generation.
You do, with your bases and radars and your airplanes.

Here you will do it with your ground vehicle. Means are different, goal is same. To find missions where you will do tactical combat so you can get resources when you win and take back to base to study and use for your next battle.

Ah ok, you must be talking about the original XCOM. I thought you were talking about XCOM EU. Still, that's not what I consider exploring in the traditional sense.

Ah ok, you must be talking about the original XCOM. I thought you were talking about XCOM EU. Still, that's not what I consider exploring in the traditional sense.

But it is exploring for this type of games. Shock Tactics is obviously a Xcom like game, it is not a RPG.

Back
Top Bottom