BioShock - Collection Review @ Nerdist

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Nerdist has reviewed the remastered Bioshock collection:

Is BIOSHOCK: THE COLLECTION Worth the Sweat of Your Brow? (Review)

I will be the first to admit that remastered games have become an incredibly boring way for publishers to cash in on previous successes. However, BioShock: The Collection is a bit different, especially once you consider that the original masterpiece that is BioShock launched almost 10 years ago. Even then, this collection has to be done correctly and provided enough content to justify the lofty $60 price tag. So how does it fare?

[...]

THE VERDICT

As far as remasters go, BioShock: The Collection is great. Despite some minor glitches, the inclusion of all the downloadable content, gorgeous graphics, and the new Director’s Commentary make this a must own for any BioShock fan. And let’s not forget that the BioShock series is still one of the best collections of games ever made, and should be played by every gamer. If you have yet to play these stellar games, this is the best way to experience the set, even if the price is a bit steep at $60. If you’ve played it, but missed out on the DLC, this is also for you, my friend. Heck, it’s still worth replaying BioShock just to check out the graphical upgrades.

Score: 4/5
More information.

I was disappointed in Bioshock for several reasons, even though I loved the setting and atmosphere. It was a solid FPS game, but I was led to believe that it was the spiritual successor to System Shock, and found it nothing at all like it.

It was also the very first game I encountered that featured limited install DRM. I was not aware of that when I purchased it and ended up using all 3 allowed installs the very first day. It treated each user account on the same computer as a separate installation. Initially there was no way to revoke an install either.

The other thing that bothered me was that it was just too easy. There was no real penalty for dying, so even the toughest big daddy could just be whittled away - die during the fight and you would resurrect fully healed while his health was still diminished.

Despite these negatives, I still enjoyed the game and may have to give the remake a try after a nine years absence.

I was disappointed in Bioshock for several reasons, even though I loved the setting and atmosphere. It was a solid FPS game, but I was led to believe that it was the spiritual successor to System Shock, and found it nothing at all like it.

Totally agree. It had the atmosphere, but I found the overall story to be very lacking. I realize this puts me in the tiny minority, but I just didn't think the twist was very clever. I also remember hating the fact that on Steam BioShock was the highest rated "RPG" for several years.

Now BioShock 2, I strongly believe it is the best BioShock by a mile. But anyway, I can enjoy all three, so I can't complain too much.

Picking this up definitely. Don't know much about the series, looks a bit comical, but I once read a very funny article on Kotaku about it.
Are visual upgrades really noticeable on 1080 res?

I award BioShock maximum points for being a darkly satirical skewering of Ayn Rand and her mad 'philosophy'. I also thought that the artistic design and atmosphere of the world were phenomenal. Sadly, the actual gameplay didn't live up to the other elements, which was a great pity, since if they had kept it closer to System Shock 2, I think it would have been one of the great classics.

The other thing that bothered me was that it was just too easy. There was no real penalty for dying, so even the toughest big daddy could just be whittled away - die during the fight and you would resurrect fully healed while his health was still diminished.

Were you aware that you can disable the Vita-chambers in the options menu? Iirc, that was added in the first patch, so maybe you had already finished the game by then.

Were you aware that you can disable the Vita-chambers in the options menu? Iirc, that was added in the first patch, so maybe you had already finished the game by then.

I do not remember that, but thanks, I will keep that in mind if I do decide to replay it. I bought it on launch day as it was supposed to be the new System Shock and finished it within a week, so if it that option was in the first patch I probably did miss it.

Back
Top Bottom