HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer checked out the Early Access version of Divinity: Original Sin II:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 improves on the original

[...]

It makes for good roleplay, at least from what I could tell in the mere nine or so hours of story available in Early Access. The opening hours lack the punch and purpose of the first Divinity: Original Sin, but the details benefit from more attention than before. You can create a custom human, elf, or lizard hero with a blank slate as you wish (or a dwarf with a deplorable beard selection), but I found it's so much more fun to follow one of the four preset origin stories with their plentiful customized dialog options. You can recruit the three heroes you didn't choose later, and they often aren't so chummy. It hints at great replay value, as does a new system of ‘tags’ such as ‘scholar’ or ‘noble’ that affect conversation choices.

[...]

It wouldn't exactly be wasted. Original Sin 2 looks better than ever. The visual details here often impress, regardless of whether it's the refracted sunlight on the waters surrounding a shipwreck-prone island, or in the candlelit corridors of a menacing keep. The music, subtle but strong, comes with a nifty option to choose which instrument dominates the rest.

Great stuff. But for my money (and yours), I recommend giving it time, unless you feel compelled to support Larian's work in spite of your own enjoyment. Grand RPGs tend to work best when they're fully featured and served in full. This is a rough draft—a fine one, but a draft nonetheless.
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

I finished a play through (~ 19 hours) of the available area with the Red Prince and two other NPCs (I could have had three,but we got into a fight…and I had to kill them :p) Overall, I quite liked it - but things that annoyed me before, like excessive use of elemental effects are still there, and even more excessive. Sometime I have no idea why things are blowing up or reacting (which can be useful, but often fatal). And yes I know the basic combos, but it is often not clear why some reactant is even there to combine in some way. I really hope they tome it down. At least most pathing ignores areas of danger.

The fights seem somewhat harder, especially the boss fight at the end (I mean, c'mon…you'll have to play it to see what I mean. Hopefully that will be re-thought…I tried when I was level 6 and died and then scraped through with my 3-person level 7 party, about 4 resurrection and N healing potions later….) If I did not have these, there is no way in hell I could have survived. To add some context: you have a fight with 4 8th level characters a 10th level (boss) …and something extra..all of whom have very nasty abilities. I dread having to redo this when the game comes out :'(

I also, as I suspected, do not like the Memory mechanic. You finally get source abilities but they suck up 3 (yes, THREE) of you precious memory slots (initially 5 for most). They are simply - in the current incarnation - not worth using. And they require source points…which do not regenerate (yes, you can find them, but its not clear how plentiful they'll be). For every 2 ability points you can get another memory slot, but for some characters I had many skills I wanted on hand, but simply did not have slots to use them. Also, if you concentrate on memory, then you have to sacrifice other stats (which means you do less damage, for example). Sadly, given the attention Larian have lavished on memory, I don't see it being dropped. I do hope they rescale it though.

Tough boss fights…is that due to a lack of level-scaling, maybe? I remember in the first game if you tried certain boss fights too early you would get stomped. Maybe it can be avoided and returned to later.

I'm cool with tough boss fights and tough encounters in general. I don't remember being overly challenged in the first game. We even 2-shot-killed the boss of the entire game with a scroll and a spell. Literally, killed the boss in 2 shots. The toughest was one of the earlier boss fights that turned out to be optional until you wanted to pursue it, then at the proper level it was easier (if not too easy by the time we returned).

I loved the elemental interactions in the first game. It was just good ol' fashioned fun for me. I'm glad they added more but I would like to see some tougher encounters at times, not only bosses.

And bruh, using potions/scrolls/resources/etc. is why you get those things! Stock up on 'em when you can. I like when a game poses challenges that forces you to use items and not just stockpile everything for a tough encounter that never seems to come.

I'm cool with tough boss fights and tough encounters in general. I don't remember being overly challenged in the first game. We even 2-shot-killed the boss of the entire game with a scroll and a spell. Literally, killed the boss in 2 shots.

huh? Did they overhaul it in the EE version? Because, I remember people saying it took them an 45 minutes to an hour to beat the last boss in the original version of Divinity Original Sin because it was immune to basically everything.

D:OS had some very random boss fight though. I did like 4 today, hehehe.

huh? Did they overhaul it in the EE version? Because, I remember people saying it took them an 45 minutes to an hour to beat the last boss in the original version of Divinity Original Sin because it was immune to basically everything.

D:OS had some very random boss fight though. I did like 4 today, hehehe.

I played the EE version.

If I recall correctly, the first spell was the powerful "Freezing Rain" (or whatever it's called) spell that froze him, and then the next turn my dad's character used a scroll of Meteor that killed him.

We did have to try the battle a few times, since at first we focused on the other enemies and not the boss directly. Once we decided to focus it all on the boss, it was over quick!

I have not reached the bos fight yet (in d:eek:s2) but look forward to seeing how it goes.
-
For D:OS I don't remember much but the boss were all difficult (esp rex's fight); but in D:OS-EE they were also difficult but on the hardest difficulty (the one before perma die); the last fight in the game (void dragon) was trivial if done right. On my final play through I killed it in one round; and thinking i got lucky - i replayed that last fight 3 more times and in all three attempts it died less than 3 rounds. I hear there was one final patch that made it more difficult but not sure - haven't played it in a while - might test one more time but the game has gotten stale.
-
My comment above was not a reflection of my skill as a player (i'm lousy at min/max) but rather I found a group composition that made the game easy (but chance - on each play through i tried different groups to add in all the companions).
-
To be honest i much prefer DKS to D:OS by a wide margin. I found the 'story' in D:OS confusing at best and in most cases non-sense. DKS seemed much better to myself. Also I had more fun times in DKS. The mechanics in D:OS are fun (perhaps more fun than DKS but the game as a whole doesn't work that well).
-
D:OS-2 seems deeper and the story tone is definitely more serious but I think I woudl prefer the next divinity game to revisit DKS mechanics and approach. It isn't just first person vs party base top down - the game as a whole had much better flow. Loved that killer bunny incident - esp when it happened by surprise at level 8 - I just don't have memories like those from D:OS. No real wow moments in D:OS.

Back
Top Bottom