Vigilantes - Kickstarter Live

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Vigilantes is a crime themed, turn based tactical RPG being developed by Timeslip Softworks. The kickstarter has a modest goal of 5K and has 37 days to achieve it at time of writing. Vigilantes is also trying to get on greenlight.

Inspired by the classic turn based RPGs of the 90s, like X-Com and Fallout, yet striking out in its own unique direction, Vigilantes is a crime themed, turn based tactical RPG with an old school heart, for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Players assume the role of Sam Contino, an idealist dragged down the rabbit hole of vigilantism as he works to bring down the three gangs that dominate Reiker City: the mafia, survivalists, and Church of the Final Exodus.

Vigilantes has all the features you would expect from a turn based RPG, yet we feel it stands out from its peers in a number of areas:

• Avoids typical RPG settings, striking out in its own direction with gritty, neo noir.
  • Melee combat is choreographed and fluid to an extent rarely seen in turn based games.
  • Avoids the trend of simplifying character systems and gameplay. It's very much old school, with the best of modern design advances.
  • Emphasis on atmosphere: memorable allies, deadly opponents, a declining city, all brought to life through quality writing, artwork and voice acting.
  • Use surveillance to locate gang facilities and leadership. Randomly attacking footsoldiers won't get you anywhere.
More information.

This is a true indie game made out of love that needs your support guys (and gals).

Very nice UI. Surprisingly fun melee attacks on the battlescape. The global trading system is also good. There is crafting and looting with new creative feature after battles. Character generator is attractive with quality of life features. Developer listens to requests and recommendations. Vigilantes is shaping up to be a nice area-clearing and area-conquering game akin to Syndicate and Mafia types. And its all turn based!

MMO? No.
DLC? No.
Phonegame? Errrr… Okay, fastforward video to 2:09 (or main character pic on the KS page), well this doesn't look phone design.

Only 5K asked sounds suspicious…
It's important to note that we aren't proposing to build a game of this scale, complexity and with this level of polish from scratch for €5,000. That simply wouldn't be possible. Vigilantes is a labour of love which has been in self-funded development for almost 2 years. The current build is the result of well over 4,000 development hours. Vigilantes is effectively feature complete, stable, has a near final level of polish, and overall, is in the region of 65% complete. We are completely confident in our ability to deliver, but we do need your help!

Got answers to all my questions on the KS project page. I'll back this one.
Interesting note, you get both standalone (DRMfree) and steam version. Nice touch.

Looks like a nice project, and I hope the game will do well!

I do think that the guy in the video could've been much more passionate though, I wonder why he sounds almost subdued ?

I'll back this too. Looks decent.

This is a true indie game made out of love that needs your support guys (and gals).

Thank you Archangel!

Very nice UI. Surprisingly fun melee attacks on the battlescape. The global trading system is also good. There is crafting and looting with new creative feature after battles. Character generator is attractive with quality of life features. Developer listens to requests and recommendations. Vigilantes is shaping up to be a nice area-clearing and area-conquering game akin to Syndicate and Mafia types. And its all turn based!

Glad you are enjoying Vigilantes so far Mercy. I think we can push things quite a lot further in the full release.

Looks like a nice project, and I hope the game will do well!

I do think that the guy in the video could've been much more passionate though, I wonder why he sounds almost subdued ?

Thanks GothicGothicness. Ha! I'm aware I'm not the best speaker, and I'm okay with that. The real problem here is I allocated too many stat points into computer science and not enough into speechcraft :) But being a little more serious, I am very passionate about what I'm doing, but this is just how I speak, I guess some people are a more high key, others more laid back... like Cordelia, I can't push my heart into my throat!

MMO? No.
DLC? No.
Phonegame? Errrr… Okay, fastforward video to 2:09 (or main character pic on the KS page), well this doesn't look phone design.

Only 5K asked sounds suspicious…

Got answers to all my questions on the KS project page. I'll back this one.
Interesting note, you get both standalone (DRMfree) and steam version. Nice touch.

Hi Joxer. It's very much an old school game for an old school gamer. Definitely not a phone game. The truth is, I haven't actually played a game on a mobile phone since snake : )

I just wanted to add, the standalone will likely have a once off entry of a cd key - it won't limit installs, try to install anything funky on your PC, send any infomation back to a server. As a small studio, we'd much rather spend time working on our games than building DRM, and we don't want to inconvenience people who buy our games, so we usually just add this minimal check to discourage casual piracy.

So it is all over.

Hey, ChienAboyeur. I don't really understand?

Ok, you convinced me. I backed.

Thank you forgottenlor!

I'll back this too. Looks decent.

Thanks crpgnut!

Downloaded the demo but haven't tried it yet. Anyone else give it a go?

Hey, ChienAboyeur. I don't really understand?

You'll fit in here fine Timeslip.
Best of luck with your KS.
:)

PS. He was alluding to the number of developers that try and listen to fans then fail because they can't please everyone. Only a few can understand Chien, don't even feel bad.

Thank you Archangel!Glad you are enjoying Vigilantes so far Mercy. I think we can push things quite a lot further in the full release.Thanks GothicGothicness. Ha! I'm aware I'm not the best speaker, and I'm okay with that. The real problem here is I allocated too many stat points into computer science and not enough into speechcraft :) But being a little more serious, I am very passionate about what I'm doing, but this is just how I speak, I guess some people are a more high key, others more laid back… like Cordelia, I can't push my heart into my throat!

I wouldn't worry about your delivery, mate - I find it much more convincing than a lot of the grinning bullshitters on KS.

Let's see:
Approved by all Watchers except for Chien? Check.

I'm in.

Edit: Pledged.

Last edited:
You'll fit in here fine Timeslip.
Best of luck with your KS.
:)

PS. He was alluding to the number of developers that try and listen to fans then fail because they can't please everyone. Only a few can understand Chien, don't even feel bad.

Thanks Wisdom! Yeah, I have heard of cases of that happening. It's pretty much a given that I can't make a game to suit everyone, but I do listen to feedback and evaluate it carefully. If I tried to do everything everyone suggested the game would be very inconsistent, not to mention impossible to finish, but I have received a lot of very useful feedback, some of which I've worked into the game. Vigilantes is already better for it.

Back
Top Bottom