Diablo Series - Diablo 2 vs Diablo 3

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Indigo Gaming compares Diablo 2 to Diablo 3 and asks which is the better Diablo by comparing what made each game great.

Join Indigo as he looks back and compares Diablo II with its successor, Diablo III in a point-by-point rundown of what made each a great game, as well as their individual failings.
More information.

Diablo 1 - atmosphere
Diablo 2 - everything else
Diablo 3 - auction house, graphics?

Man, I loved those tomes in Diablo series. D3 is more fun to play, but lacks character.

Diablo 2, take your laptop to an uninhabited island, plug it into solar charger and knock yourself out. Continue it for years.
Diablo 3, no internet, no game. Ever.

What else is there to compare. Nothing. You can't play one of them to check.

Diablo 2, take your laptop to an uninhabited island, plug it into solar charger and knock yourself out. Continue it for years.

Really? Doesn't that game have endless respawn? That's why I quit it about 30 min in, at least...
Didn't bother with D3.

Trashmobs design doesn't matter.
The point was you can move to Mars and play it. Unlike D3.

Diablo 3, no internet, no game. Ever.

What else is there to compare. Nothing. You can't play one of them to check.

I agree with the sentiment, that the online only is a deal-breaker.

Still even ignoring that, Diablo 3 was the WOW or Disney version of Diablo. It's not simply about graphics but also tone, atmosphere. In games that have that you can't simply take it away without loosing something important, even critical in some instances.

Diablo 3 may have some modern improvements but I'd much rather play Diablo 1 (with Belzebub) or Diablo 2 (with PlugY/multires). They hold up surprisingly well, played through both earlier this year and enjoyed it, at least until in Diablo 2 when getting creatures basically immune to both/all my magic damage types pretty much forcing me to rage quit.

If I wanted something modern and online only I'd go play Path of Exile again, something which Diablo 3 can barely hold a candle to. Also while having played a bunch of ARPGs recently, old and new and even re-releases (such as TQ Anniversary) the crafting/gear from PoE has me disappointed with them all in that regard. I can still handle simple skill systems but the stupid crafting just annoys me constantly. (Crate also needs to wake up already when it comes to stash storage, for heavens sake).

At this point I have no excitement about a new Diablo, expectations are not positive and my requirements seem to conflict with that Blizzard is/does these days. I almost hope whatever it is they add more superficial online requirements so I can just spare myself any optimism and time and just skip it.

Diablo 3 may have some modern improvements but I'd much rather play Diablo 1 (with Belzebub) or Diablo 2 (with PlugY/multires).

Same here.

As I said in the other thread, the core of Diablo for me was what the first 2 games perfected. Atmosphere, simple-but-satisfying combat, cool loot system and deep dungeons to explore (preferred the first game more overall, but the second is good, too). Once they try to make it a more action-oriented game it falls flat for me. That coupled with the graphics and art style of the new game kept me from being all that interested in it.

Also, the fact that you can't single-screen "couch co-op" on PC with dual controller support is a big letdown. You could play Diablo 1 in couch co-op on the PS1!

Going to be doing some more painting in the house coming up...I will watch that dry over playing any of them...

Back
Top Bottom