Tyranny - Some Previews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The first paragraph of the PC Gamer preview is super spoilerific about a game possible starting choices. Be warned, other previews might also have some spoilers about the first 2 hours of the game (that's what they played).

I find it interesting that Conquest choices are played though. I had the impression you just selected them at character creation from the older previews.

So far the reviews are reinforcing the fact all the choices are evil, some are just less evil. I'll be interested to see what people think. I don't do evil characters.
Also the time limit to encourage replayabilty is less RPG to me, and more forced gimmicky.

Yup, evil characters are a no-no for me as well and I dislike timers and time limits. Looks like a game to skip but time will tell...

WHAT!!!
If there are timers and forced urgency that doesn't let me explore, they can keep their game. There is little I hate more than timers!

I thought the reviews implied that the choices you make during conquest were generally more evil than the choices you make during the full game, in part because your acting as a general in a war, and as we know, war is hell and horrible things happen even when your armies aren't being lead by an evil overlord. Within the main game though there is an example of the main character becoming known as a great peacemaker after he solves problems without bloodshed.

As for the time limit, I personally find that having a time crunch can add quite a bit to the story, but I understand how people who more into leisurely free exploration might not like it.

Overall the game could go either way, but I'm at least happy to see some creativity with mechanics and story, even if it might not work out in the long run.

Love the interface but it will be an underwhelming experience like PoE i reckon

Love the interface but it will be an underwhelming experience like PoE i reckon

PoE may have been underwhelming in the last third of the game on release. Though with the expansions, it is far from that now.

Story timers and no good choices makes Jack a dull boy

I'm also not sure I can deal with more of their RTwP combat. I don't dislike RTwP but found battles in PoE were often a mess and not very enjoyable - especially later in the game. Whereas the turn-based D:OS battles stayed fresh and enjoyable through pretty much the whole game.

After watching relevant bits, combat is as expected: it is UgoIgo with an automatic end turn validation.
Moves are separated, pace is slow.

Even with all this accomodation, the skills displayed in the vid are too low to match the demand even though the same sequence is used over and over again. This turns into the usual slide show.

Impossible to know if there is a proper interface as the video maker is mouse only. Looks like though there is enough time for it to be played with mouse only.

At first glance, it does not look as if it brings the mattering points in RT.

Mattering points indeed.

Yet another mattering point is missing: the impression that battles featured in the vid would resolve without player inputs.

Of course, this kind of demonstration is unlikely to be delivered by this type of vids.

This is how it is hard to tell of a product when watching this kind of vids. Vid makers have little to no interest in playing a game, they aim at making money through views.

Back
Top Bottom