Tyranny - Gameplay & Mechanics Video

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Obsidian has released a gameplay and mechanics video for Tyranny.

In this final episode, gamers will see how the many design elements of Tyranny come into play – from the companions to spell creation, reputation, combat, and beyond. The video shows all of these systems in action, and will prepare players to experience the game itself when it launches next week on Thursday, November 10, 2016.
More information.

Looks watered-down and mediocre ... a low-effort , hasty PoE in different clothing

Yea, I lost all interest in this game a while back personally. The combat looks bad, with second rate graphics, and just a rather uninspiring game overall. But that's me. *shrug*

Anyway, I know negative comments about games have some people touchy lately, so I try to limit my negative comments on certain games to a few posts lately, here and there, lol.

I haven't done a playthrough of POE yet so I don't know if this is similar or not or if that's even a bad thing.

I do know that I'm in favor of devs using the same engine even some of the same assets in multiple games.

I wouldn't mind 3-4 games over a 5-7yr period or something using the same engine with maybe a tweak here or there. It worked quite well with the I.E. games.

Yea, I lost all interest in this game a while back personally. The combat looks bad, with second rate graphics, and just a rather uninspiring game overall. But that's me. *shrug*

Anyway, I know negative comments about games have some people touchy lately, so I try to limit my negative comments on certain games to a few posts lately, here and there, lol.

I must admit I don't get why some get so easily upset. At its worse I liken such 'outrage' to being obsessed over what score a game reviewer gave a game. ie The idea that if you like the game you feel anything under an 80 is an insult (if your 12).

In reality its just someones opinion on a forum and I usually find differences of opinion interesting. At the very least I want to see the logic behind an opinion if I find it questionable. If the opinion is a low effort 'this game sux!' I can kind of understand getting annoyed but I generally just ignore such comments and move on to more interesting stuff.

I'm still unsure about Tyranny. For one, I mostly liked Obsidian games and some stuff about the game, like the faction system seems kinda cool. For the other side, I really didn't enjoy Pillars of Eternity much and the combat doesn't look very good.

I'm still unsure about Tyranny. For one, I mostly liked Obsidian games and some stuff about the game, like the faction system seems kinda cool. For the other side, I really didn't enjoy Pillars of Eternity much and the combat doesn't look very good.

I liked what Obsidian has done with the story in most of their rpgs (not Pillars) but I feel they always let me down with the mechanics and combat and fun factor is usually low.

You could tell from the start this was a hasty, low-cost, fast-money project. I mean look at other people who're polishing games for years and years, these guys are releasing it WAY too fast. Half of the game assets are taken from PoE. I bet its gonna be overpriced too

I must admit I don't get why some get so easily upset. At its worse I liken such 'outrage' to being obsessed over what score a game reviewer gave a game. ie The idea that if you like the game you feel anything under an 80 is an insult (if your 12).

In reality its just someones opinion on a forum and I usually find differences of opinion interesting. At the very least I want to see the logic behind an opinion if I find it questionable. If the opinion is a low effort 'this game sux!' I can kind of understand getting annoyed but I generally just ignore such comments and move on to more interesting stuff.

Yea, especially when it comes to certain games and companies, like Bethesda, lol.
I notice when I give negative opinions on that company or their games, there seems to be a lot of push back here from their fans...but its fine.

I'm not completely innocent of this kind of thing either from time to time, I have defended Wasteland 2 for example, a few times in the past here in the comments section. I agree with you though, I try to ignore those kinds of posts, or refrain from posting emotional based responses to most of the posts that I don't like about particular games.

I guess its more of a matter of how you do it, in terms of how your post comes across, if it seems to be unusually attacking or personal, or defensive, or whatever...but no big deal though, this is to be expected on a game forum with a lot of passionate fans, it is probably a good thing when looked at in that way.

Anyway, that is enough "meta-analysis" from me on a Friday night, lol.
I should be playing games instead, heh.

I haven't noticed anything that seems particularly bad to me about the gameplay or the mechanics, but the 4-character party is a huge letdown to me. For games like this, I want at least 5 party members and prefer 6.

Also, their explanation for limiting us to 4 characters was really lame. They said they didn't want combat to be too chaotic or something like that.

Will it have that "cool" mechanic POE had that prevent getting xp once you kill a fixed amount of creature of the same type? Hope not...

Will it have that "cool" mechanic POE had that prevent getting xp once you kill a fixed amount of creature of the same type? Hope not…

Errr, you didn't get xp from killing monsters in PoE. You got it from completing bestiary entries and completing quests/events.

There was more than enough xp in PoE to reach level cap wasn't there?

Errr, you didn't get xp from killing monsters in PoE. You got it from completing bestiary entries and completing quests/events.

There was more than enough xp in PoE to reach level cap wasn't there?

it was but i felt like that mechanic didn't push you to explore the whole areas. Also i think the way xp worked in icewind dale/baldur's gate was perfect and not in need of any rework (which in fact was not for the better).

The video shows little: people talking their product features while providing no illustration for it.

I liked some of Obsidian's earlier titles such as Alpha Protocol and Fallout New Vegas, but Pillars of Eternity didn't do much for me, and it looks like Tyranny will be in the same vein. I have never really liked real time with pause combat, preferring turned based such as Divinity Original Sin or Wasteland 2 to name a couple more recent titles.

I will probably try it at some point depending on what people say about it, I am willing to put up with the combat system if it has a decent story, but I will wait a year or so and not purchase it at launch.

I haven't noticed anything that seems particularly bad to me about the gameplay or the mechanics, but the 4-character party is a huge letdown to me. For games like this, I want at least 5 party members and prefer 6.

Also, their explanation for limiting us to 4 characters was really lame. They said they didn't want combat to be too chaotic or something like that.

Combat being too chaotic (and unmanageable for many) is one of PoE main complains and Tyranny combat is very similar mechanically, in fact, I'm pretty sure I saw engagement at work in that video.

I am willing to put up with the combat system if it has a decent story,

It is story driven. Type Cdt Sheppard boosted on steroid. End of an era, fate of the world hanging to the player's lips. Exceptionalism at its best. Hard to see how it does not fit socalled RPGers, it is tailored for them.

Think I've played every Obsidian game except DS3 and only half way through PoE. Even loved Alpha Protocol (well not the dialog timer) and all those amazing choice and consequences.

I never play evil so the game has never been a priority. The biggest secret seems to be if and how you can play good. Guess they could have taken the approach of putting in something for the people who like to play neutral or good. I saw the previous video and no saving one woman that way was not in anyway neutral or good. It's similar to making a pvp only game, excluding 60% of the gaming customers and fans.

That is a good explanation since they are reusing PoE engine and combat that was pretty bad and chaotic. I guess it was cheaper to reduce number of party members (and probably enemies) than fix the shitty engine and combat.

Obsidian is all about low effort these days. Like how they fixed pathfinding from IE games making wider areas in PoE and making characters run like robots in formation and be able to run through each other outside combat. But once combat stats, they get stuck on each other all the time just like characters did in IE.
It a fake way to make it better than IE games, very low effort.

Back
Top Bottom