Rapture at Pale Gate - Kickstarter Launched

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A Kickstarter for Rapture at Pale Gate has been launched. A demo for this satirical RPG is already available:

Rapture at Pale Gate

Rapture at Pale Gate is an RPG where the characters know that they're inside a game – and they aren’t happy about it.

In between battling monsters and fulfilling their destinies, our heroes will argue with the narrator, each other, and you over the quality of the writing, the graphics, and the incessant use of puns. Ever been frustrated by a game mechanic? These adventurers know how you feel.

Level up to hit things harder. Learn powerful spells and always wonder whether they're powerful enough to K.O. the bold kobold flying for you at eye height. Increase your vocabulary to channel the pun-demonium of your attacks. Maybe you’ll even discover what the hell is going on and why everybody is trying to kill you.

More information.

Seriously, why don't we post about Atari 2600 games too? It looks worse than the original Zelda.

Its not THAT bad crpgnut. Theres a lot more pixellated junk out there that is far worse.

It doesn't seem any worse graphically than many other games that have been posted about (Take Knights of the Chalice for example, that was a badly pixelated but really great game).

I actually tend to prefer that look to clumsy badly modeled/animated 3d. I also appreciate the fact that they gave access to a demo, gives you a chance to see if you could possibly enjoy the game before backing.

I'll keep an eye on this and give the demo a try when I get a chance.

I'd be more interested to know if it's actually funny, or just painful.

Graphically it looks a lot like Last Dream [which, by the way, is an excellent PC RPG styled after classic JRPGs and has a ton of features from those classic games (and more) all in one game].

The pun starts with the game's name: its initials does form an widely known abbreviation…

I noticed the name of the game as well, and kicked in about two minutes later. I think it will be good.

I only noticed it in the final of pitch video, when the game's name is displayed :)

Last edited:
I'd be more interested to know if it's actually funny, or just painful.

I agree. Good idea but if the writing isn't top notch, it probably be a chore to play. It seems to me parody-style games often think they can get away with poorer gameplay because they have a funny concept. The only game I can think of that I've found funny and still had decent gameplay was South Park.

I agree. Good idea but if the writing isn't top notch, it probably be a chore to play. It seems to me parody-style games often think they can get away with poorer gameplay because they have a funny concept. The only game I can think of that I've found funny and still had decent gameplay was South Park.

Yes, games that are actually consistently funny are about the rarest kind.

Pixelated games should have died after the first one (which was ok because of 'nostalgia').

Hi guys,

Myself and the other designers are street performers, gladiators, larrikins and suchlike.
The one thing we were really trying to do was to see if we could create a game where puns, storyline and wit were strong enough to sell it. What we were going for is a dungeon crawler with the whimsy of the early Monkey Islands.

We've combined a magic system is similar to the Dragonlance with what we hope is an easily accessible combat system.

If the first thing you look for in a game is the graphics, then this game is not for you, however if you really get into oddball storylines then perhaps give this a go.

Either way, positive or negative comments are always welcome, and thank you all for at least looking at the kickstarter.

The Gnomes.

The presentation certainly made me smile. I would love this game on my phone. 16k stretch goal FTW.

I doubt it will make that much, but I'll pledge anyway. Humour is underrated as a game mechanic.

Ah I'm glad tomasp3n,

So the kickstarter is doomed to failure, but it was our first attempt and we're thinking of releasing it in chapters for free. I'll be in touch when we've got this set up.

What type of phone do you have? We were thinking of releasing a phone version for basically everything except Iphone (we're having problems porting it to the IOS)

I think that is a good idea. It seems like you have to have a name for yourself ot even have the slightest chance to make a game on kickstarter.

Yep, was talking to a few successful game campaigners, and that was pretty much what they advised.

Also several comments about the graphics were made. So we're upping the ante on those as well.

I'm not into Apple, I only use Android devices. So no iPhone isn't a problem to me. You'll be missing out on a huge part of the market without it though.

Back
Top Bottom