Expeditions: Viking - Hands on @GamePressure

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GamePressure gets hands on with Expeditions: Vikings and finds it an interesting game.

The first installment in the Expeditions series focused on conquistadors, and their conquest of the New World. In the second game by the Danish studio - Viking - the developers invite us to their homeland by setting the game in early medieval Denmark, where players become Viking clan chiefs. As the new boss, the player will have to fight for power, trade with others and organize looting expeditions. I've had an opportunity to try the game myself and spend over seven hours in its world, and although I wasn't too impressed initially, it grew on me with every hour. Expeditions: Viking will not be a game for everybody, but the fans of hardcore RPGs should keep it on their radars - especially those who don't think graphics are the most important element of a game.

You Can't Plot Without a Head

Let's start with the plot, because it's clearly going to be the game's highlight. In Expeditions: Viking, the players are taken to 8th-century Denmark, and assume the role of a young Viking who becomes the chief of their clan after his father's death. The deceased man wasn't the greatest leader in the clan's history, so his death leaves the player in dire straits - many of the local chiefs want to use this situation to their own advantage by trying to lessen our Viking's influence.

The adventure begins during the wake - friendly small talk soon turns into an argument followed by an outbreak of violence, provoked by one of the neighbors. As soon as we manage to contain the situation (the wayward Erlingr can be spared, exiled or... decapitated), another threat has to be faced head-on: an invasion of oak-tough warriors from Scandinavia. Not to spoil too much: during the first couple of hours the plot revolves around preparations for a looting (or trading - your choice) expedition to the British Isles. As soon as I managed to rally ten warriors, obtain some valuable goods to trade and find proper wood so that a ship builder could fetch me a nice drakkar, the demo ended.
More information.

All my TBS hopes remain with this one. The new Eisenwald DLC didn't turn out to be a Blackguards and Dungeon Rats is no fun.

Mercy, what do you think about Rencounter ?

Skillful intro art. Excellent UI. Animations are really nice. Blood particle effect is well timed on enemy death. Awesome combat resembles my 1st level characters fumbling with attacks in Champions of Krynn.

Rencounter: 9/10
http://store.steampowered.com/app/431810/

I think in this light:
Dungeon Rats: 4/10

Skillful intro art. Excellent UI. Animations are really nice. Blood particle effect is well timed on enemy death. Awesome combat resembles my 1st level characters fumbling with attacks in Champions of Krynn.

Rencounter: 9/10
http://store.steampowered.com/app/431810/

I think in this light:
Dungeon Rats: 4/10

I'm having a lot of fun with DR.
I guess your positives for Rencounter don't give me much interest though, as particle timing is one thing I do not notice in games.

Back
Top Bottom