Tyranny - Obsidian AMA has started

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Obsidian AMA has started on Reddit:

We are Obsidian Entertainment, creators of AAA RPGs for over a decade including our upcoming Tyranny! Ask us Anything!

Hey there Reddit! We are Obsidian Entertainment! Tomorrow we release our brand new RPG Tyranny which will add to our long legacy of RPGs.

Ask us anything you want, doesn’t have to be about Tyranny (though we’re pretty excited to talk about it!), but as game developers we’d of course love to keep it within that scope of relevance! We have also charmed some of the lovely people from our publisher Paradox Interactive to assist us in answering/pitching-in on questions where they are able as we've been working together with them for some time now!

With us today are

It’s gonna be fun hanging with you all! Let’s do this!
More information.

I wish I had enough willpower to register and ask if the game is really just one afternoon long.

Someone else did another:
Farveille: So... when are you guys doing Kotor III ?

FeargusUrquhart: If you could pitch EA on that for us, I'd be your friend for life. :)

Another good one.
xXx_MemeDonne_xXx
are you developing the next fallout game?
Also, new vegas best fallout game amirite xd

FeargusUrquhart
We are not, but we would love to work on another Fallout. And, thanks! It was awesome to make Fallout: New Vegas, as it was to work on Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 as well.

velocity_rob
a game about an evil dictator about to complete his takeover of the world.
Did you time the release purposely to coincide with the election?

sirreman @paradox interactive
we did not purposely decide on having the release close to the u.s election. In hindsight we do understand the "irony" in it thou...

rotfl

Obsidian should just come up with their own ip and work on a fallout-like game if they really want to. Its what Interplay did when they didn't have Wasteland anymore.

Obsidian should just come up with their own ip and work on a fallout-like game if they really want to. Its what Interplay did when they didn't have Wasteland anymore.

Pretty much this. It's not like Fallout had a frag ton of memorable characters and the Bethesda's run is even worse on the characters side.

I wish I had enough willpower to register and ask if the game is really just one afternoon long.

Someone else did another:

More like a week end long. Like ME 2

Streamers are enjoying it. Adam "CallOfChthulu" called it "fucking tremendous".

They are going to stack reruns after reruns.

I've been playing it since yesterday. It is NOT an 'afternoon' to finish. Hell I've played it for like 8 hours and only scratching the surface.
Maybe if you skip all the dialogue it could be short, I don't know, but that's like saying you read the Bible in a few seconds by just turning the pages quickly.

The game seems to be around 25 hours long. But there seems to be a lot of reactivity and it is meant to be played again and again, and everytime you play the world will be shaped differently around your decisions. I have to say, I like this approach a lot more than those big neverending 100+ hours RPGs without replayablity. It seems to be similar as Age of Decadence, that you won't get the full story if you do not play again with a different approach.

Teeheee

SB: Let’s say Bethesda goes and tries to fill the wait for Fallout 5 with a Fallout MMO by The Elder Scrolls Online developer Zenimax Online Studios. Do you see any potential in this idea?

CA: I think a Fallout MMO would do well. Yes, RPG Codex, light your torches, I'll send you a map to my house.

The game seems to be around 25 hours long. But there seems to be a lot of reactivity and it is meant to be played again and again, and everytime you play the world will be shaped differently around your decisions. I have to say, I like this approach a lot more than those big neverending 100+ hours RPGs without replayablity. It seems to be similar as Age of Decadence, that you won't get the full story if you do not play again with a different approach.
That sounds great! Now just ditch the TBWP combat and you'll have another sale.

That sounds great! Now just ditch the TBWP combat and you'll have another sale.

You can play it as turn based (set a pause after every action) or real time (let the AI do everything), it's up to you.

i think that if they would do a scifi game, they would have many more sales

I will be getting this for sure. Question is whether it will be full price or bargain bin.

Steam reviews like this are making me think bargain bin.

Loot:

There's plenty of loot to find in Tyranny, but very little of it was worth my time. The legendary items that I found were great, but the majority of the items were worse than items I had found a few hours earlier. I never found any good staffs in the game. The most dps I got out of a staff was about 9dps while the rest of my party did a average of 25-35.

A.I.

The A.I. in this game is brain dead on every difficulty level. My party members did a decent job of engaging enemies without me having to issue them commands, but there were too many times when no one did anything even after I gave them a command. They would just stand there running back and forth doing nothing. This has got me killed a few times on higher difficulties and it's really annoying. The werewolf companion's A.I. is the most broken of all of the companions while the mages seem to have the best A.I. out of the bunch.

True? What do you think Wolfing?

Also any links to your YouTube stuff?

I will be getting this for sure. Question is whether it will be full price or bargain bin.

Reviews are out and is mostly positive. There is also a lots of Let's Play since Tuesday (when youtubers and reviews were allowed to show themselves play the game) if you want to check how the game plays.

Happily going to be playing this but sad it's only 25 hours long. Even with Age of Decadence I only managed two playthroughs.

Pillars of Eternity I couldn't imagine playing twice... ugh. The whole story and both expansions were decent but to start over? Nope.

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Back
Top Bottom