Cyberpunk 2077 - What to expect?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted this long Cyberpunk 2077 article:

Cyberpunk 2077 – what to expect from an RPG made by the studio that gave us The Witcher 3?

Although Cyberpunk 2077 has occupied a place in our minds for more than four years now, there’s literally no information pointing to what the new CD Projekt RED game is going to be. Still, there are sources allowing us to make certain assumptions.

In the field of triple-A games, cases such as Cyberpunk 2077 are few and far between. Entertain the following idea for a second: how many developers decide to announce a project just to keep it in the cellar for the next five years, feeding us mere shreds of information and convincing people that the work is still in progress? Even Mass Effect: Andromeda, which hasn’t really been a high-profile project during the four years since its announcement (similar time span as Cyberpunk’s), cannot hold a candle to CD Projekt RED’s secrecy.

[...]
More information.

I've owned a copy of 1st edition boxed Cyberpunk rpg since it first came out. One thing I really want to try is proper smart gun links. You don't need to pull the trigger, just wave the gun at the baddies, so no point and click, just aim and gun will fire automatically when there's an optimal firing solution. That might be sweet to mess around with.

I'm probably in the minority but TBH I would kind of prefer Shadowrun tbh. I know many think it's kind of naff but magic adds another raft of gaming opportunities. Back in the day I had hoped Bethesda would mix FalloutNV and Oblivion to achieve it. Be that as it may I still have high hopes for this one. I'm interested to see if/how they integrate netrunning.

I'm probably in the minority but TBH I would kind of prefer Shadowrun tbh.

But… we have Shadowrun. Pretty good games, too - especially Dragonfall and Hong Kong. So, thanks to that, we can have both.

This is very likely a day-one purchase for me. Maybe I will even pre-order. I like the company and their attitude. Also, with Witcher 3 they already prooved they can pull off massive projects.
If the multiplayer part is unintrusive or even adds to the experience of the single-player world I'm all for it. Otherwise I hope it's optional.

Compared to Witcher? Crazy amount of customization, plenty of weapon types, and play styles, different ways to approach the mission...combat is very lethal and (usually) your last resort. Probably will have version of Power Armor called "ACPA". With art/visual design, Blade runner influence all over the place, new build over the old. No "levels" or scaling. "Cyberpsychosis" as limitation to augmentation..something similar to "Humanity" in Bloodlines( though no idea how they'll properly implement it).
Ton of lore, technology transforming world in different directions. Factions probably in form of mega corporations like Arasaka, Millitech, etc.
I'm thinking something of a mix of Deus Ex+Fallout+Blade Runner+GTA.
Only thing Witcher has over it, are main characters perhaps.
They pull this off, this may as well be the last game I need to play. ;)

I'm hoping they've invented some new tech for generating a proper future city. Perhaps something a bit like Speedtree, that makes it feasible to generate whole blocks really quickly. I know some people don't like too much empty space, but I really like a sprawling open-world, even if the quest content has to be spread thinner.

And I'm hoping for hairworks/tressFX on everything not just fur.
I mean… Everyone has a nextgen GPU now. It'd be a shame if CDpr can't beat TR2/DXMD hair, they've proved being competent in that department unlike Ubi.

I personally hope that all that Bobo writes will be in there, and that most of what the author of the article speculates isn't. Set protagonist, no stats and multiplayer? God please no. I do believe multiplayer in some form is confirmed though, but the rest I hope will not come to be.

Co-op multiplayer could be ok.... Especially if one person is netrunning whilst the other guys are in the corporate headquarters. But still it'd be towards the bottom of my wishlist. I really hope it's not a set protagonist.

So the most important features for future RPGs are…
- cute super realistic hair
- generated city
- sex cards
- cyber sex…

Anything else? :p

Don't know enough about it to make a purchase decision. The Witcher series wasn't a homerun for me like it was for many here so it won't factor in my decision at all.

I was watching again the cinematic trailer from 3 years ago. It's a very hyping (is it a word?) trailer, an excellent piece of propaganda/advertisement. I expect the final product is a damn good game. Please CDPR, don't do like the Dead Island's devs, who also made a hell of a trailer and delivered a forgettable game.

Last edited:
I don't really expect much to be honest. The Witcher games seem alright but not really my thing (Witcher 1 is, maybe, but 2 and 3 didn't really attract me because they didn't really seem like the style of RPG that I care for). So, I expect Cyberpunk 2077 to be this company's "big hit". Tons of marketing, bigger budget and likely more streamlining, simplification, etc. I could be wrong, but I basically expect a typical big-budget AAA game in the vein of Assassin's Creed, GTA or something like that (obviously more of an RPG, though, but in terms of overall "direction" and the crowd they are aiming for).

Fluent,

I have this expectation because IMHO CDPR have no fear to cross some lines in order to make an outstanding product. They have more money and skills than an indie studio, yet they aren't the typical AAA studio "sold to the system" (*).
Of course, they may deliver a so-so game, though I don't believe this. But even so, this forgettable game would be miles ahead of "another Assassin's Creed".

(*) I don't know if this expression does exist in English language. I'm translating it literally, from an expression used in my language.

Fluent,

I have this expectation because IMHO CDPR have no fear to cross some lines in order to make an outstanding product. They have more money and skills than an indie studio, yet they aren't the typical AAA studio "sold to the system" (*).
Of course, they may deliver a so-so game, though I don't believe this. But even so, this forgettable game would be miles ahead of "another Assassin's Creed".

(*) I don't know if this expression does exist in English language. I'm translating it literally, from an expression used in my language.

I understand what you're saying. It can go either way. People said the same about Bethesda, BioWare, etc. at one point until they reached the "tipping point" of popularity/fame/money/etc. Same thing will likely happen to CDPR at some point. But really, even though Bethesda publishes their own games, some people still have the perception that they "sold out". It happens in every creative industry since time immemorial.

But enough of that. I'm quite sure CDPR will deliver a game that is going to be popular. I don't see Cyberpunk being a "flop" or anything. Even if they stick to the current way they've been making games they will be fine, IMO.

Well on the plus side, Marcin and the "core" staff are said to be big fans of CP2020. And Mike Pondsmith creator of original pnp game is active and behind the project as well…he waited a long time for this, probably would not agree to sell it to someone who would simply turn into shallow blockbuster AAA title.

His words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYxt7cwDk4E

And CP2020 rules and mechanics are incredibly in depth…even if a lot of it is simplified to modern standards, it would likely still have more complexity than most crpg's.

https://xarxasuportmutueixdreta.fil...rpunk-2020-cp3002-core-manual-2nd-edition.pdf

Pretty damn odd that some Bethesda fans here aren't more enthusiastic about this…if done right, this would bring back actual strong role playing and mechanics that older Bethesda games had, along with production and technical values they always lacked.

Well on the plus side, Marcin and the "core" staff are said to be big fans of CP2020. And Mike Pondsmith creator of original pnp game is active and behind the project as well…he waited a long time for this, probably would not agree to sell it to someone who would simply turn into shallow blockbuster AAA title.

Fully agreed! If there is a studio which can make a great game out of CP2020 ruleset, this studio is CDPR. I think the franchise lies in very capable hands.

Last edited:

His words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYxt7cwDk4E

And CP2020 rules and mechanics are incredibly in depth…even if a lot of it is simplified to modern standards, it would likely still have more complexity than most crpg's.

https://xarxasuportmutueixdreta.fil...rpunk-2020-cp3002-core-manual-2nd-edition.pdf

Pretty damn odd that some Bethesda fans here aren't more enthusiastic about this…if done right, this would bring back actual strong role playing and mechanics that older Bethesda games had, along with production and technical values they always lacked.

That's great and all but the Elder Scrolls games were also based on in-depth rules (the original games were D&D campaigns, so I'd say that's quite in-depth). I just think this game is more likely to be their big AAA smash, their home-run swing, basically.

Do you really think this game is going to bring back RPG elements and complexity like D&D, etc., or go for a more accessible, "cinematic experience"? If it is some crazy RPG with all the pnp-style elements you could ever want that will be great and I'll check it out then.

Nothing wrong with game having "cinematic" dialogue...it immensely adds to the flow and immersion when executed right.
Fallout IV going for it was a mistake for different reasons: animations, camera and direction, voice work, dialogue writing...these things are simply there done not well.

Take a more thorough look at what's behind it...honestly, simply saying it will be just another AAA blockbuster is, to be blunt, basically ignoring it's entire core foundation.
Witcher coming from directly books, was stylized more for adventure game with set protagonist and playstyle than crpg.
Even in basic thematic run this is an opposite from typical player super empowerment , so I think there would be a lot more "gravitas" to player choices and style of roleplaying than even coming from games like Daggerfall and Morrowind.

Back
Top Bottom