Torment: Tides of Numenera - New Screenshots

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@DSOGaming Some new screenshots have been released for Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Techland has released a new set of screenshots for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Torment: Tides of Numenera is a new RPG from inXile in which players' choices matter, and in which morality is not a simple matter of "right" and "wrong".

The game will pack a thoughtful and character-driven story. Its philosophical underpinnings will drive the game both mechanically and narratively.

The game will also feature hand-crafted set-pieces which combine battles with environmental puzzles, social interaction, stealth, and more.
More information.

It is a weird looking place. Do they have any "normal"-looking locations, I wonder?

This sure has been under development for a long time.

For some reason I thought this was a fantasy game....

I like it. Looks like the game is set in a prog rock album cover.

Interesting. Is that Gene Wolfe "New Sun" literature/its setting related to the Numenera world? Or Numenera inspired by him? I'm currently interested in some "very different setting from what we know" literature. :)

My GOODNESS man! That looks...beautiful. I love it. The art is definitely strange and bizarre in places but the overall art style is gorgeous and crisp.

A few things. I hope developers continue to refine the new-school 2D isometric look. Please, give the games a more hand-drawn looking art style, keep it with a fixed camera that can zoom, and whatever you do do NOT give into the hype of 3D or "isometric 3D" (which does not give the same vibe or feel as a 2D isometric RPG). I really hope devs who consider making games like this improve it and evolve it in this way.

Now, I do have to say that hearing it's another one of these 20-25 hour RPGs makes me not too excited to play it. It's weird. I know RPGs can be short and still amazing (Chrono Trigger), but just knowing that it's going to be a short game makes me not want to really play it when I know I can play some other epic RPG for 60+ hours. But please, feel free to make a 100 hour RPG that looks like this and I may forget to eat and sleep!

Fluent, I believe you CAN finish the game in 20 hours, but I believe the estimated average is more along the lines of 50-60 hours.

I like it. Looks like the game is set in a prog rock album cover.

Take your pick… and rock on!

torment-1.jpg

Or…

torment-2.jpg

I like the screenshots, am digging the weird sci-fi futuristic vibe...I have heard the game has a lot of bugs though, from reading steam reviews of the early access, so hopefully they will polish it very well before they release it, or get it nicely polished and patched up eventually. As usual, its best to wait a while before playing these complex rpgs, because as time goes on, they get more and more polished and fixed up.

do NOT give into the hype of 3D or "isometric 3D" (which does not give the same vibe or feel as a 2D isometric RPG)
True. Fixed angles and/or limited zoom in isometric 3D makes me feel uncomfortable. I feel held back, artificially limited. E.g. D:OS2, the way too close min zoom is claustrophobic, like I am trapped.

True. Fixed angles and/or limited zoom in isometric 3D makes me feel uncomfortable. I feel held back, artificially limited. E.g. D:OS2, the way too close min zoom is claustrophobic, like I am trapped.

You should be able to zoom way out and see much more of the map on the screen, yet still be able to see what's going on well. I also think that 3D isometric graphics don't really look as good as hand-drawn or 2D/2.5D graphics.

Interesting. Is that Gene Wolfe "New Sun" literature/its setting related to the Numenera world? Or Numenera inspired by him? I'm currently interested in some "very different setting from what we know" literature. :)

The New Sun tetralogy, among my absolute favourite sci-fi/phantasy books

pibbur, from the shadow

Fluent, I believe you CAN finish the game in 20 hours, but I believe the estimated average is more along the lines of 50-60 hours.

It's definitely going to be nigh impossible to do in ~20 hours unless you completely intentionally defeat the whole purpose of the game by skipping through all texts and dialogues like crazy.

The game has so much text. If you play it "properly" by reading every dialogue option then just reading it all will make sure that it will take quite some time.
I have only played around a little with the beta of TToN and it has taken me three hours alone just to get through the intro and to do one or two quests in the first area.

Granted, I am not familiar with the setting (so I read every description slowly and carefully) and I'm probably a slower reader than people whose first language is English but I am very sure that you would need supernatural text absorption skills to finish this game in anywhere even near 20 hours.

I play slow anyway so I'll likely double the average playtime anytime. Thanks for the heads up on that fellas. Sounds more interesting if I can play it for at least 40-60 hours.

Back
Top Bottom