• Smart level design
  • Gorgeous visuals
  • Loads of replay value
The bad

• Tired story
  • PC version suffers performance problems
The ugly

• Having to go back to the beginning of a level because you forgot to save
Verdict: Dishonored 2 is one of the smartest, most well-designed games released this year. If you fancy a challenge, this one is a no-brainer.
Eurogamer:

Arkane manages to better the already exceptional Dishonored in nearly every way, creating a masterpiece of open-ended design.
PC Invasion:

So: Dishonored 2 is a fantastic game. It may, in fact, be the best game you really shouldn’t risk buying right now, because right now it’s a technical mess. Yes, I hope a patch comes out soon which fixes a lot of these issues – but yes, I’m also worried that a lot of this is baked into the new Void Engine, and if that’s the case… well, this might be something to look into in a year or two. I’ll keep you updated, but for now, a definite “buyer beware” on an otherwise phenomenal game.
More information.

DQZiy0E.png

'nuff said.

P.S. author of the pic is NeXuS23.

I find it strange. It's hard to believe that they weren't aware, and I don't expect they are stupid. I can only guess that they calculate that putting out the PC version to get early sales outweighs the impact of some bad publicity.

It is unfortunately common for a AAA game to be released in a poor state for PC. Nowadays I wait until the problems die down (relatively speaking) after patch(es) before I begin playing a AAA game, though it is difficult because I wanna play.

Hmm...I've seen some footage and stealth didn't seem right( "glitchy" detection, instant worldwide alarm, no indications, etc)..imo, Arkane is much better at pure first person combat than anything else.
Intro was pretty damn funny though...evil chick walks into the court and they kick you out, instant Dishonored.

I'll wait for the 'complete' version.

Yeah, I can wait, sad that I have too. On the other hand, not only is this 'the piece of crap id engine', but think they are using the new drm too. No way I'm installing some new untested drm, avoided all the games it's on so far. The original was the Unreal engine, iirc.

Hell, maybe in 5 years they will release it fixed, complete and drm free, then count me in.

The console versions don't fare any better than roughly equivalent PC hardware in performance, it's silly to push the agenda of PC gaming being hard or inconsistent or whatever based on a poor port of a game released in poor condition everywhere. Of course even superior PC hardware doesn't get rid of the issues, which is an equally big problem but the core problem of the game's poor state would remain even if that wasn't the case and rich people could brute force it to run well. Hopefully whatever optimizations and fixes occur in patches are rolled out on all platforms, not just the PC.

Hmm…I've seen some footage and stealth didn't seem right( "glitchy" detection, instant worldwide alarm, no indications, etc)...

They increased the "alarm range" where nearby guards come over when they hear another one screaming (or gunshots) and the speed at which they become alerted because of sitting/sound. Higher difficultly also affect this.

It is unfortunately common for a AAA game to be released in a poor state for PC.
No reason for them to hold back as the crowdfunded scene has made an industry of releasing buggy products on purpose.

Hm, seems I'm one of the lucky ones: No technical problems with the pc version (besides having to switch it to the other screen). Sometimes npcs seem to see you for a short moment through walls, etc. but it never lead to actual detection.

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people say. I have about 15 hours on it and it's never crashed. The gameplay systems seem to work fine. Hopefully they can tune the performance a bit, but if you have a 970 or better you can enjoy the game.

I think this is the final nail in the coffin for idTech 5 though. Nothing developed on it has ever run quite right. I can still get Wolfenstein New Order to do weird stuttering things even on my 970.

I really enjoyed the first one and look forward to seeing what they've built upon and/or improved... But, I will wait for the "complete" version. AKA, all the DLC and patched/polished to a nice shine(hopefully).

swaaye said:
I think this is the final nail in the coffin for idTech 5 though.

Sad as it was an incredibly promising game engine(I was quite fond of Rage). That said, I have to agree, though I think they've stripped/gutted a lot of id Tech 5 innovations/issues and renamed it id Tech 6. Perhaps without Carmack Bethesda cannot into id Tech, then again, maybe Carmack couldn't either...

Back
Top Bottom