Battle Brothers - Ambitions

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
In dev-log #89 the devs of Battle Brothers tell us about the campaign goals of the game:

Ambitions

This week we’re talking ‘ambitions’, a new feature and part of the overarching campaign goals as announced on our roadmap to the finish line. What are ambitions and how do they work? Read on!

Introduction

Battle Brothers is a game about leading a mercenary company. It’s also an open world game that relies heavily on replayability. When it comes to introducing overarching goals to the game, then, a linear story would quickly conflict with replayability, and any story straying from the mercenary narrative would quickly feel artificial and conflict with what the game is supposed to be about. Maybe you care about saving the world or the fate of some princess, maybe you don’t, but it’s for you alone to make that call, and we don’t want to force you into a story that may not align at all with how you want to play a game that should be about your mercenary company. Indeed, the one constant in every campaign, and the one constant for everyone enjoying the game, is building up your own mercenary company, and that’s why this is and will be the overarching goal of the game.

We’ll be introducing 3 different aspects to support this further and give you more sense of purpose, progression and challenge; ambitions, the ability to finish your campaign by retiring from your company, and late game crises. Each of these will be covered in detail in the weeks to come with their very own dev blogs, and we’re starting things off by taking a look at the first of these aspects today: ambitions.

Ambitions

Not surprisingly, players approach the game quite differently. While some easily motivate themselves to build up their company and pick up challenges on their own for dozens of hours, if not more, others crave for being provided with more direction and structure. We’re introducing ambitions as mid-term milestones for you to work towards on the path of forging a legendary company in a way that fits the game’s narrative and lets you earn unique rewards.

[...]
More information.

Part of the contract I had with Overhype was in writing the backstory, descriptions and dialogue for the 33 different Ambitions throughout the game. It was a lot of fun!

Part of the contract I had with Overhype was in writing the backstory, descriptions and dialogue for the 33 different Ambitions throughout the game. It was a lot of fun!

It's i while i have and play this game (a couple of patches before goblin made their appeareance), i like pretty much everything that has been implemented but i'm not sure about ambitions.

I'm more a "free roam" type and i hope those ambitions won't be too pushy cause this game is all about freedom (well at least in my head).
On the other hand that could also add some spice to my wandering/killing/collecting reward routine.

Yeah. As someone said commenting on the blog, maybe having an option not to take an ambition would be good for players who want the pure sandbox experience.

I like the ambitions idea it gives you goals to work towards because after a while just wandering around killing things gets dull. But for those who don't want or have no ambition then at the start of a game have a check for story mode on or off.

Later stage Ambitions include the "end game" style invasions and war between the Noble Houses, which don't actually end the game but provide that ultimate level of challenge for maxed out troops.

Back
Top Bottom