Graywalkers - Exclusive Alpha Peek

Aubrielle

Noveliste
The Graywalkers: Purgatory dev team has given us an exclusive look at their alpha, coming soon!

Las Vegas, NV - December 4, 2016 – Dreamlords Digital, the minds behind the unique and exciting video game called Graywalkers: Purgatory, is hard at work preparing for Early Access in the first quarter of 2017.

Graywalkers: Purgatory is the first in a series of emergent Strategic and Tactical Turn-based Role-Playing Games set in a stylish supernatural post-apocalyptic world, where parts of Heaven and Hell have merged with Earth in an event called "The Rupture". The game was inspired by a combination of the tactical elements of XCom, the strategic features of Jagged Alliance, and the RPG aspects of classic Fallout & Wasteland. The game was funded on Kickstarter and is now currently in the alpha stage. It will be released first for PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) and later on will be ported to console (PS4 & Xbox One)

The story happens on the new island of Purgatory, a place made up of displaced land masses from all over the world that have merged together. You play the prophesied leader of the Graywalkers, 36 individuals who are destined to protect mankind across history. Your goal is to unite all the factions together under your banner and lead the war to reclaim the world for humanity against the supernatural forces that have dominated the world.

The game will have several key features:

• Game Modes – will have 3 game modes: Campaign, Skirmish (Mission Based), and Multiplayer will be added through a free update. Early Access will be released with the Skirmish mode first.
  • Strategic Management - Manage your resources, personnel, influence, technology, magic, and equipment
  • Race – choose from 6 races (human, dhampir, Nephilim, cambion, wolfkin & hunterborne). More races will also be added through DLCs
  • Character Paths – choose from 10 initial paths(classes) for your character to follow
  • Characters – in addition to your custom character, you will be able to recruit from over 40+ playable NPCs, each with his own abilities, background and personality. Level them up and customize them as they improve
  • Table-Top Experience – game utilizes a new table-top RPG system
  • Enemies – encounter creatures like vampires, demons, angels, werewolves, ghosts, witches, zombies, and many other supernatural enemies
  • Resources - Scavenge for resources, rebuild lost technology, recover ancient relics, research new technologies, and craft objects from ordinary items that you find.
<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-right: 0.25in; margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; line-height: 14.65pt; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">Factions – choose your alliances from among various factions, with each having their own agendas. <strong style="background-color: rgba(255,255,255,0);">
[/b]
More information.

So, uh, where exactly is this exclusive look? Usually there are videos to see, but if all that you are going to show of your "exclusive" look is the text article, well, most of that is nothing new. So what exactly here is "exclusive"?

The photos and new PR text are exclusive - nobody else has seen these screenshots yet, according to the dev team.

I still have some hopes for this...but they're not huge.

Hey everyone,
Entropy from the Graywalkers game team here from Dreamlords Digital. Thanks for taking a look at our SRPG, and we will have more alpha screenshots for you soon!

Also, RPGWatch will be one of the first to get our upcoming alpha, and will have permission to post any and all video and screenshots they want. This game was designed with you guys in mind, especially those of you into tabletop RPGs (the game actually runs off of a unique tabletop ruleset we have designed, and a Graywalkers RPG tabletop game will be released as well!)

For more, Follow us on:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/graywalkersgame
FB: https://www.facebook.com/Graywalkers/
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/graywalkers

Hey everyone,
Entropy from the Graywalkers game team here from Dreamlords Digital. Thanks for taking a look at our SRPG, and we will have more alpha screenshots for you soon!

Hey Entropy :)

Thanks so much for chiming in! I'm definitely excited to see the results of your hard work. :)

Well, if that is the 'exclusive', it is a really disappointing one. We have seen much more in the Kickstarter updates.

We'll see what comes next. This is one of those projects in which I have zero faith. But I'll be happy if anything good will materialize....

The photos and new PR text are exclusive - nobody else has seen these screenshots yet, according to the dev team.

As much as this is cool, how on earth is a site getting this info before their backers?

Hey everyone,

Also, RPGWatch will be one of the first to get our upcoming alpha, and will have permission to post any and all video and screenshots they want. This game was designed with you guys in mind, especially those of you into tabletop RPGs (the game actually runs off of a unique tabletop ruleset we have designed, and a Graywalkers RPG tabletop game will be released as well!)

For more, Follow us on:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/graywalkersgame
FB: https://www.facebook.com/Graywalkers/
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/graywalkers
It's been a while since your last post.:(

Anyway count me as an excited backer as I have followed, and covered the game since it was launched on Kickstarter. I'm also glad to see development is going smoothly.

Great to hear from you Couchpotato, and thanks so much for your support! Sorry, I've been quite busy and haven't posted, but I do read the site.

If you guys have any comments or questions, we are paying attention. We want to bring you a great game, and that takes lots of time and effort, esp. with a small indie team.
Feel free to contact us on Twitter, Facebook, or Steam if you want to grab our attention.

For those of you who haven't seen it, https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ory-turn-based-post-apocalyptic/posts/1709184 gives many more details on our upcoming Alpha, such as:
*Over 500+ abilities, 7 player races, 30+ more races of creatures, 10 player classes, 15+ creature classes
*200+ weapons of different kinds are also functional in the game already. This includes firearms, melee weapons, projectiles, explosives, thrown weapons and heavy weapons. These numbers do not include variants to those weapons and unique weapons.
*100+ items that are functional in the game such as different kinds of ammunition with different effects, weapon upgrades, armor of different types, and various other functional items.
*25+ available playable characters to join your party
*100+ enemy NPCs
*20 factions
*leveling system up to Lvl 30 for PCs & NPCs
*and more (see the link above)

Great to hear from you Couchpotato, and thanks so much for your support! Sorry, I've been quite busy and haven't posted, but I do read the site.

If you guys have any comments or questions, we are paying attention. We want to bring you a great game, and that takes lots of time and effort, esp. with a small indie team.
Feel free to contact us on Twitter, Facebook, or Steam if you want to grab our attention.

For those of you who haven't seen it, https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ory-turn-based-post-apocalyptic/posts/1709184 gives many more details on our upcoming Alpha, such as:
*Over 500+ abilities, 7 player races, 30+ more races of creatures, 10 player classes, 15+ creature classes
*200+ weapons of different kinds are also functional in the game already. This includes firearms, melee weapons, projectiles, explosives, thrown weapons and heavy weapons. These numbers do not include variants to those weapons and unique weapons.
*100+ items that are functional in the game such as different kinds of ammunition with different effects, weapon upgrades, armor of different types, and various other functional items.
*25+ available playable characters to join your party
*100+ enemy NPCs
*20 factions
*leveling system up to Lvl 30 for PCs & NPCs
*and more (see the link above)
That sounds like a lot of potential bugs and nightmare to balance it all :D

Well, I guess my point is that "exclusive peeks" at a games usually consist of more than a couple of screenshots and a text blurb. Usually, they include some video and some discussion with the creators about the game, progress, where it's going, etc. Based upon this expectation, this article didn't deliver what it said it would. A better headline would have been "New screenshots revealed here for Purgatory - Graywalkers" or something like that. Just my opinion.

@Grifman and everyone else:
I think some "discussion with the creators about the game, progress, where it's going" has already been provided by me in this forum (see above), but that said we would be love to further converse with you or any member or staff here about Graywalkers: Purgatory! We will answer any questions you have, so fire away (or if anyone wants an interview or to write an article let me know)!

As for video, that is coming soon! Once the Alpha is ready, as I said, RPGWatch will have permission to record/stream/post any video from it they want.

I think some "discussion with the creators about the game, progress, where it's going" has already been provided by me in this forum (see above), but that said we would be love to further converse with you or any member or staff here about Graywalkers: Purgatory! We will answer any questions you have, so fire away (or if anyone wants an interview or to write an article let me know)!

As for video, that is coming soon! Once the Alpha is ready, as I said, RPGWatch will have permission to record/stream/post any video from it they want.

Understand, I wasn't questioning you or your team, I'm a KS backer of the game,a and am very much looking forward to it! I was just questioning RPGWatch as to how they titled this new article. It seemed a bit misleading to me. That's all.

You name dropped a lot of different games, but which one is this closest to?
Is it Xcom like where losing one team member is just losing some expertise but can easily be replaced with newbies that eventually become useful?
Is it JA2 like where each of those expandable team members also has a cool personality and gameplay is more like one whole instead of bunch of missions?
Or are companions more like in Fallout where each has a real personality, goals and there is a limited number of them and losing one means forever losing access to certain expertise (unless your character has that expertise)?

Do you even have a main character?

Description says you are leader of 36 greywalkers but you can recruit 40 npc? Are those in addition to 36 greywalkers? Is everyone expandable? Does the leader go on missions? Can he die?

@Archangel:
Yes, you make a custom hero, who is your main character – Your player character is a special one, even among Graywalkers. This hero is customizable, where you can choose his or her gender, race, appearance, path(class), skills and special abilities.

From Classic XCom, the features that influenced us are:
• Many of the tactical combat features are close to xcom
• Permadeath
• The strategic use of action points
• Fighting different kinds of opponents with different abilities

From Jagged Alliance, the features are:
• The strategic aspect of managing your team and gaining control and influence over territories and settlements
• Each having unique personalities that actually influences your combat and how they work together (both good and bad)
• Resource and task management of your team rosters

From Fallout, the features are:
• Each character is unique with a backstory. These backstory comes with quests.
• All recruitable characters have at least 1-2 quests each. One to recruit them and another that you do once your relationship with them strengthens.
• Many other post-apocalyptic rpg elements

You can recruit up 36 active people, but your roster to choose from is over 40+. If somebody dies, then you still have more people to recruit. You’re not required to reach 36 but it is your max. You can’t recruit more until you lose one.

Thanks for the interest, and the questions!

Tnx for those answers, it sounds very interesting.

But you didn't say if your main character can go on missions and what happens if it dies?

Yes, the main character can go on all missions.

If the main character dies, it is Game Over! :sweatdrop:

Back
Top Bottom