Mass Effect: Andromeda - About the Novels

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCGamesN reports about the Mass Effect: Andromeda novels:

Mass Effect: Andromeda novel Nexus Uprising will make sense of the latest trailer on March 28

Despite us not knowing much about the universe ourselves, Bioware are already hard at work expanding the backstory of Mass Effect: Andromeda. The previously announced novels have now been finalised with titles, release dates and even the odd plot hint. In an interview with Eurogamer, Bioware confirm these novels, particularly the first, provide more context for a variety of situations you actually encounter in-game - including what was showcased in the most recent trailer.

For what else there is to know about Mass Effect: Andromeda’s release date, story, characters and more, check our dedicated article.

As announced by Titan Books, the three novels will be:

• Mass Effect: Nexus Uprising, by Jason M. Hough and K.C. Alexander. Out March 28.
  • Mass Effect: Annihilation, by Catherynne M. Valente. Out in summer.
  • Mass Effect: Initiation, by N.K. Jemisin. Out in fall.
[...]

Thanks Farflame!

More information.

If the book is good, I personally don't care where it is set.

If the book is good it means they didn't put it in the game and game is not good.

If the book is good it means they didn't put it in the game and game is not good.

I know plenty of books that would make terrible games, but were excellent read. I don't see how or why a good book should be in a game and the game would be bad if it wasn't, if the book would make for a terrible game to start with.

I know plenty of books that would make terrible games, but were excellent read. I don't see how or why a good book should be in a game and the game would be bad if it wasn't, if the book would make for a terrible game to start with.

You're mixing Mass Effect with Skyrim.

Mass Effect needs stories. As many as possible.
In the game.

You mentioned the novels - the first is released at the end of the March. You guys have also said you don't want to talk about the novels because they will spoil the game. So I'm wondering if the end of March might be a good time for the game to release as well?

Mac Walters: The first novel which comes out is more about setting up the backstory of certain factors at the point when Ryder arrives in the galaxy. The reason I don't want to get into story stuff is, honestly, these things are better played or in this case read. It's better if you fall in love with them or hate them for yourself - that's more where that comment was coming from.

What a slimy weasel. It's better played than read, so we release a book before a game.

What a slimy weasel. It's better played than read, so we release a book before a game.
I think you misread. He said that these things are better played or read than having them being told by someone.

While I don't mind books related to games, I'm not a fan of directly tying the events together. It generally makes a mess of things (like the lore in Warcraft, which gets retconned every few years). Previous ME novels weren't too bad in that regard, but some of the stuff in ME3 (Cerberus/Kai Leng etc) probably seemed a bit out of place for people who had not read the novels. That being said, the whole Cerberus/Kai Leng stuff was crap even for people who had the novels, so I guess it didn't make that much of a difference.

I think you misread. He said that these things are better played or read than having them being told by someone.

Oh, shame on me, you are right. Just a slimy weasel then ;)

While I don't mind books related to games, I'm not a fan of directly tying the events together. It generally makes a mess of things (like the lore in Warcraft, which gets retconned every few years). Previous ME novels weren't too bad in that regard, but some of the stuff in ME3 (Cerberus/Kai Leng etc) probably seemed a bit out of place for people who had not read the novels. That being said, the whole Cerberus/Kai Leng stuff was crap even for people who had the novels, so I guess it didn't make that much of a difference.

But World of Warcraft lore was a patchwork to begin with anyway. While Cerberus came completely out of nowhere, and completely redefined the galaxy (how did they become so wide-reaching and powerful?). Kai Leng was just horrible in every respect.

But World of Warcraft lore was a patchwork to begin with anyway. While Cerberus came completely out of nowhere, and completely redefined the galaxy (how did they become so wide-reaching and powerful?). Kai Leng was just horrible in every respect.

Yep. Also, Warcraft has had so, so many different writers and novels and what not the past 10 years that it's not really a surprise it's messy. The ME inconsistencies are worse in that regard, especially considering BioWare has confirmed that it was planned as a trilogy right from the start.

Cerberus was already big and powerful in ME1, you need to explore, read codexes/quest text and do a bunch of side quests to see how far spread they were by connecting the dots to the main plot. Pick the Sole Survivor background for even more exposition.

But yeah, Kai Leng was horrible.

The ME inconsistencies are worse in that regard, especially considering BioWare has confirmed that it was planned as a trilogy right from the start.

That's because they ditched the original plan half-way through ME2 production (the dark energy plot).

I call BS on their "not really fleshed out" excuses. There was a bunch of quests and dialogues in ME2 that directly referenced it and nothing following those plots in ME3.

On top of it, I'm pretty sure they retrofitted the Reaper's origin and the Crucible to fit their new organics vs synthetics idea.

Anyone here actually buying these Bioware books? Seen a few comics, you really need to experience it. ;)

I'll probably grab the first one to see whether or not I like it. I did read most of the DA and ME novels (maybe all, I honestly don't remember).

Anyone here actually buying these Bioware books? Seen a few comics, you really need to experience it. ;)
I read two DA novels (The Calling and Asunder). Both were of far below average quality. That's how I grew to dislike famous David Gaider. His writing works for games but doesn't work for novels. That bad experience serves as a big deterrent to buying more books from them now. I have no more faith that they know how to pick up authors with a writing talent.

Written books - no. Nor will. It's a game! It needs no books!

I have all comics (two volume integrals), The Art of Mass Effect and god help me I bought the abomination Paragon Lost animated movie on amazon - dunno why I just didn't burn that money.

While there is no way I'd ever buy another ME movie, live or animated, art book and comics are all IMO awsome so I'd still buy next ones.

I have no more faith that they know how to pick up authors with a writing talent.

N.K. Jemisin is a triple Hugo nominee and won the Hugo for best novel in 2016 among other awards since 2010. She's like the rising star of fantasy/scifi writers and the only reason BioWare/Titan books were able to get her is probably because she's a huge fan of Mass Effect.

Catherynne M. Valente also won a lot of awards, if you check her novels review they all mention how amazing her prose is, but she has a dark whimsical style and seems to mostly write YA so probably not for everyone. Also, a gamer and huge fan of Mass Effect (she also likes Vampire Bloodlines).

Jason M. Hough is a scifi writer and has only his Dire Earth Cycle trilogy out. It received positive reception, but not award worthy. K.C. Alexander is a "newcomers", her first book released in September 2016. It's apparently very 90s Cyberpunk and is currently receiving very good reviews. Going by both authors, Uprising will probably be quite violent…

Back
Top Bottom