Techland - Monnier on Open World Fantasy

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Eurogamer they report that an ex-Witcher 3 developer Damien Monnier is now working for Techland on an unnamed open world fantasy game with rpg elements.

Former notable Witcher and Gwent designer Damien Monnier has a new job - one not a million miles away from his last. He's landed at Techland, Polish developer of Dying Light, as lead designer of a new IP.

It's the new IP Techland announced in May, the studio told me this morning. This is an open-world fantasy game with RPG elements, co-op multiplayer and single-player. Fits well with the experience Damien Monnier accrued working on The Witcher series from 2012 to 2016. Plus, Techland's open-world fantasy team is in Warsaw, as is Monnier and CD Projekt Red.

Monnier was a senior gameplay designer during The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt development, then lead designer of breakaway title Gwent: The Witcher Card Game, currently in closed beta. Before CD Projekt Red, Monnier worked as a level and game designer at Sony, at Evolution Studios, developer of MotorStorm and DriveClub.
More information.

Could be worth paying attention to, once we know a bit more.

Game designer at Sony? O_O
We got lucky with TW3 not being garbage then.

So the game is not Hellraid ?

Well, atm we don't know a thing, so I will just say that I would have preferred a new IP set in a sci-fi universe and not another (likely generic) fantasy world. Guess I will have to wait for Cyberpunk then...

RPG elements? If it's not fully an RPG, I'll not hold me breath. Bioshock certainly didn't grab me.

Especially nowadays when almost every game seems to boast of "RPG Elements". I'm not certain that means anything anymore.

Dying light was very good, had similar "elements", sort of Far Cry-ish with light skill trees ( as even regular shooter have them these days). Probably similar, first person, good melee, would be great if it had similar parkour, one of best in fact.
Wouldn't hold my breath on story/writing or having any substantial mechanical depth.

I assume its revamped Hellraid. They stopped the project in order to make it better (= open world?). But I could be wrong.

http://escape.hellraid.com/

Since I saw those Hellraid videos from 3 years ago, I eagerly waited for this game. But then they kinda froze/cancelled the project. And now it seems they're resurrecting it with co-op multiplayer feature. I'm a tad sad to know that, I don't know if I'll be able to fully enjoy this new Hellraid... Oh well

Back
Top Bottom