Fallout: NV - Project Brazil almost done

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The mod Project Brazil for Fallout: New Vegas is nearly complete:

2016 was a hard year, but we're almost done with F:pB!

Most of 2016 was kind of a drag in real life. I don't know anyone who's 2016 was a good year. From divorces, to friends nearly losing a child, me almost losing someone I love, people being harassed online, jobs folding, all kinds of awful stuff. There are a lot of people saying it's the election's fault, or celebrities dying, but honestly? To tell the truth, I think it's that people aren't being good to each other, and this is what that air of distrust and anger feels like.

We forgot what it means to be hospitable, to have vitality, fidelity, self-discipline, craftsmanship, and kinship. We're nose deep in social media, but not being social. We're spending money, but not getting things that last. Fighting, but not for victory. Working, but not in joy. We forgot what doing the right thing means, and instead we snipe each other for our failures, then shrug when we get it right.

People need to stop blaming the bad on the year, and decide to be good to each other again.

Especially when it feels like we don't deserve it. Especially when it feels like there is no point.

That's when you have to decide to be better. Not for them. Not because we deserve it. But because we want to live in a better world, and it starts with us making the decision to be decent, even when the world isn't, even when we don't know why.

Choose to do good work. Not because it is easy. But because it is right.

To start a new year off right, we will be giving out the complete Fallout: Project Brazil sometime in the first quarter of 2017, after we go through a closed Alpha phase in our private group of modders.

[...]
Thanks rjshae!

More information.

The last time I attempted to even run F:NV or F3 on Windows 10, both blew up in grand fashion .... is this still the case ?

The last time I attempted to even run F:NV or F3 on Windows 10, both blew up in grand fashion …. is this still the case ?

F3 runs in general poorly even on Vista. Never heard of New Vegas having any issues though.

I think you need the NVAC mod to play on Windows 10, these days. I'm playing F:NV at the moment on Windows 10, and it would instantly CTD until I installed this.

I'm currently a handful of quests away from completing everything, I wonder if I can do it before 2017! I might take a look at Project Brazil though, when it comes out.

I never could stick with F:NV long enough to finish the game. The story just didn't grab me. Perhaps this will stoke my interest?

I never could stick with F:NV long enough to finish the game. The story just didn't grab me. Perhaps this will stoke my interest?
This is like my third attempt, and I've only managed it this time with the application of plenty of mods. I'm always surprised when people say they much prefer F:NV to F3 as some of the writing and world building in F:NV can be really abysmal; plus it's much smaller.

This is like my third attempt, and I've only managed it this time with the application of plenty of mods. I'm always surprised when people say they much prefer F:NV to F3 as some of the writing and world building in F:NV can be really abysmal; plus it's much smaller.

Fallout 3 is one of the worst games in history. Can you elaborate on how is the writing and world building of New Vegas so bad? Fallout 3 had one of the most stupid storylines ever and the world building was an offense to the earlier Fallouts. Do you remember Little Lamplight? I unfortunately do.

As an unabashed hater of all things Bethesda, I can grudgingly admit that Fallout 3 had more interesting world design for the most part. The worldspace itself just felt more interesting, leading you along from location to location. Thank goodness for that, as it was the only thing halfway interesting about the entire game.

By contrast, the worldspace in FalloutNV was just bland, giving way to long stretches of the same scenery again and again (Jacobstown being the only exception). Whereas FO3 relied on the worldspace to keep people captivated (and little else), FNV relied on superb storytelling and Choice & Consequence. And I'm fine with that.

Fallout 3 is one of the worst games in history. Can you elaborate on how is the writing and world building of New Vegas so bad? Fallout 3 had one of the most stupid storylines ever and the world building was an offense to the earlier Fallouts. Do you remember Little Lamplight? I unfortunately do.

Well that's your perspective. I enjoyed FO3 more so than F:NV. Yes the latter had better mechanics, but at least with FO3 I enjoyed it enough to complete it twice. My interest in F:NV faded each time I made it to Vegas. Not sure why; maybe it's the empty, lifeless feel to the place. FO3 had a better, more explorable setting, a more desolate and hopeless feel to the post-nuclear wasteland, and the plot had the appeal of a classic pulp fiction tale.

Fire up the "Day after" (GREAT movie) for some post apocalyptic get-into-the-mood and play Fallout III with alternate start +hardcore survival mod, ignoring everything Bethesda put into it, content wise. It can be pretty solid experience then.
In comparison, New Vegas world was very bland and unappealing, except for Lonesome Road DLC.

I'll repeat myself for the hundredth time my ranking for the Fallout games.

1. Fallout:NV - Loved the Story & Companions & Mods.
  2. Fallout 3 - Good atmosphere but Lacking in Story.
  3. Fallout 2 - My Favorite Older Fallout Game.
  4. Fallout 1 - Not as good as Fallout 2 but enjoyable.
  5. Fallout 4 -Average but hated the Dialogue changes & Settlement Building.
Can't forget to mention the two spinoffs.;)

Fallout Tactics - Some RPG elements but its mostly a tactics game.
Brother Hood of Steel - The only console version but many don't like it.

As for Project Brazil I enjoyed playing the first part, and cant wait to play the second part of the mod. It's a shame the mod was cut in half as the original version was better.

Brotherhood of Steel also has a local co-op mode on console. Pretty neat (until you run into that boss who throws the grenades...yikes!) :)

The world building is my biggest gripe with F:NV. F3 had lots of detail and things to discover, it was a joy to explore, where as F:NV had so many areas that just felt unfinished. Places like Hover Dam, Camp Golf or McCarren, or Nellis Airfield base; these just felt like dreadful, empty locations devoid of any life or exploration value. Then there was the illogical areas like around New Vegas, where Fiends and raiders just wandered around people’s back yards in a way that didn't make any sense. It wouldn't be so bad if there had been some other, great, memorable locations to explore, but sadly there wasn't.

I found some of the writing to be pretty poor in F:NV as well, though then it was in F3, so not much to compare really. Many of the quests had the same silly plot holes, or just didn't make sense.

None of the above probably matters so much if you you just want to whiz through the game, doing the main quest; however, if you want to take your time then F:NV's flaws become much more apparent. F3's flaws are harder to miss, but then there is plenty of great stuff in-between that makes up for it. I guess what you notice depends largely on your play style.

Both are great games, however! Regardless of their flaws!

Back
Top Bottom