Best Shooter: Titanfall 2
Spirit of the PC: Stardew Valley
Best Multiplayer: Overwatch
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

Last edited:
No Pokemon Go on their list?
Surprising.

The serious competition for Darkest Dungeon was what? Looks like Tyranny, The Banner Saga 2, Final Fantasy IX, Dark Souls III, BG Siege of Dragonspear, and Grim Dawn.

No Pokemon Go on their list?
Surprising.

Hmm, there's no award for "Fad of the Year".

The serious competition for Darkest Dungeon was what? Looks like Tyranny, The Banner Saga 2, Final Fantasy IX, Dark Souls III, BG Siege of Dragonspear, and Grim Dawn.
Technomancer would be on my list as well.

Yea… It was. But it became phonegamer.

Yea… It was. But it became phonegamer.
No, it really hasn't.

There was a LOT of griping in the forums about how Darkest Dungeon isn't really an RPG at all.

Another to add to the potentials list: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. It showed up on PC in January. (I'm still waiting for that "Dragon's Dogma 2: Dragon's Apologetics" game to be announced! ;))

There was a LOT of griping in the forums about how Darkest Dungeon isn't really an RPG at all.

Okay, I'll bite: why do they say it isn't a role-playing game? It seems to have most of the necessary elements and a decent amount of player choice.

No, it really hasn't.

Another to add to the potentials list: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. It showed up on PC in January. (I'm still waiting for that "Dragon's Dogma 2: Dragon's Apologetics" game to be announced! ;))

It has.

I didn't notice DD comments like that, but well… Anyone is entitled to their opinion.

Giving anything to that grind-o-rama would feel like a blasphemy. If bears from DA3 didn't exist, I'd have nightmares from rabbits grind timewaster.

Okay, I'll bite: why do they say it isn't a role-playing game? It seems to have most of the necessary elements and a decent amount of player choice.

Those "elements" are now included in so many games that they become meaningless as any sort of a yardstick.

Well, none of those games are very interesting to me, so here's my own GotY 2016. Fluent Edition!

Let's start with the worst of the worst awards.

Worst Multiplayer Service Ever - Beamdog (Baldur's Gate: EE + Icewind Dale: EE)
Great Game and Translation But Dialogue Doesn't Work Right On Windows 10 - Wizardry Empire 2 (blame Windows 10)

And that's it. Now for the best.

Funniest RPG Ever - Anachronox
Best RPG Ever - Anachronox
Best Old-School Experience - Avernum: Escape from the Pit
Best First-Person RPG With a Bunch of Cool Ideas and Basically a Turn-Based Morrowind - The Quest
Best Android Dungeon-Crawler RPG - Oubliette
Best Nintendo DS Dungeon Crawler RPG That Would Also Be Good On PC Or Any Other System - The Dark Spire
Most Amazing RPG of the Year - (tie) Anachronox/Enderal
Best Mod of the Year - Enderal
Best Looking Thing I've Seen On My 4K TV This Year - (tie) Anachronox/Enderal
Best Reason To Reinstall Skyrim - Enderal

2016 was a good year even though I took some months off from gaming. Plenty of great RPGs out there and it's worth it to check out some of the old gems that you may have missed. It's very possible to have an excellent year of gaming while not even playing many new games. :)

More than anything, it is not disqualified from being a RPG as it has no roleplaying in it.

When a product features roleplaying as its core, it cant be RPG.

DD has no roleplaying in it, it can be a RPG.

More than anything, it is not disqualified from being a RPG as it has no roleplaying in it.

When a product features roleplaying as its core, it cant be RPG.

DD has no roleplaying in it, it can be a RPG.

????????????????????????????????????????????????

Are you saying one thing ("no rolepaying") can be its opposite ("RPG") ?
You wrote: "When a product features roleplaying as its core, it cant be RPG."
Are you sure you didn't make any typos in your sentence above?

Chien is an AI experiment, henriquejr. It writes English words but they are put together randomly and, most of the time, incoherently.

I'm also combining words in the wrong way often, but AI shouldn't have problems with basic deduction, in fact it should be it's forte.
Unless it's "roguelike" AI.

????????????????????????????????????????????????

Are you saying one thing ("no rolepaying") can be its opposite ("RPG") ?
You wrote: "When a product features roleplaying as its core, it cant be RPG."
Are you sure you didn't make any typos in your sentence above?

Sure as sure. The characterization of a RPG is based on anything but role playing.

Chien is an AI experiment, henriquejr. It writes English words but they are put together randomly and, most of the time, incoherently.

Probably a confusion with the message written by the put on ignore list bot.

I just hope Darkest Dungeon doesn't win here. :( I made a list for fun and of the 13 rpgs released this year, which I've played, I'd probably give it place 9 or 10 depending on my final verdict for The Dwarves.

Back
Top Bottom