Divinity: Original Sin II - Arena Battles

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCGamesN checked out the arena battles of Divinity: Original Sin II:

Turning the tables and setting them on fire in Divinity: Original Sin 2 multiplayer - a battle report

Christmas is a time for gift-giving, especially if that gift is turn-based murder. It’s one of our favourite winter activities here at PCGamesN, with past Yuletide periods having seen us do battle in XCOM. We’re trading aliens for swords and sorcery this year, though, as we try out Divinity: Original Sin 2’s PvP arena mode.

Larian’s new and unexpectedly great deathmatch mode is already available in Early Access, and after a couple of wild matches we knew we had to share it with you. That’s why we’ve pitted Jeremy and Matt against each other for an epic battle report. Larian call the game an RPG; we call it a table-turning simulator.

[...]

Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I was never impressed with D:OS's combat, partly because of the very saturated colors, like you were always standing in the middle of an exploding rainbow, partly because the animations never seemed to have any weight, and partly because it seemed like you could never lose. I always had tons of options and any one of them was as good as all the others.

was never impressed with D:OS's combat, partly because of the very saturated colors

I didnt like their color palette either, too childish, but combat was mechanicaly sound

the combat could be very engaging and cerebral too, such as the use of all those environmental variables. In fact the combat is what I remember most fondly.

Co-op and arena battles. Wake me up when there are RPG elements to discuss. The companion system was horrible last game and if we still have dual characters, this game can wait till I'm just desperate for something to play.

I'm almost to the point where I can just cycle through Bethesda titles for the rest of my life, with an occasional foray into something else. Last year was Fallout 4, Skyrim, and finishing with Enderal. I played several other games too, but those took the bulk of my time.

You don't have dual characters anymore. You only create one character and can have a party of four. Each with their own background story and goals.

@crpgnut: we're opposites. I'd rather not play games at all than play Bethesda titles, and fortunately there are TONS of good rpgs lately for me.

I was never impressed with D:OS's combat, partly because of the very saturated colors, like you were always standing in the middle of an exploding rainbow, partly because the animations never seemed to have any weight, and partly because it seemed like you could never lose. I always had tons of options and any one of them was as good as all the others.

Well, I am the opposite of you. I like the saturated colors and I think the animation of the game is very fantasy. In the contrast, I don't think Wasteland 2 are doing a good or decent job in these two area.

If you play on Tactician difficulty, you will lose many times and some options are absolutely better than the others.

You don't have dual characters anymore. You only create one character and can have a party of four. Each with their own background story and goals.

This is great news!

@crpgnut: we're opposites. I'd rather not play games at all than play Bethesda titles, and fortunately there are TONS of good rpgs lately for me.

That's cool. I enjoy other stuff too. I just find myself replaying TES and Fallout nearly every year. Most years, I play both. I'm playing SkyrimEE now. Then I'll play D:OS 2 because I won it here. I may play D:OS 1 first. I burned myself out on it during the beta. I had over 200 hours in Sin before it was released. I donated over $500 bucks for that game and never finished it.....

Not really interested in PvP, but D:OS was a great game to play couch co-op with my old man. We're really looking forward to the second game after we beat the first game with close to 140 hours total play-time. D:OS is one of the rare RPGs that has very fleshed out local co-op on PC.

Back
Top Bottom