GDC - The Untapped Potential of Roguelikes

True, rogue-likes have yet to tap the full potential of the entire unicode character set.

Roguelikes = random generators.

What potential are we talking about? How to code dicerolls? Baaaaaaaah.

Some examples:

You have limited tools which you have to find creative uses for ie how to deal with a monster that can turn you to stone. Picking your path through a level/starfield is also part of a strategy (opportunity cost) in terms of resources found or monster frequency.

There's a lot to like about roguelikes. There are alot of interesting trade offs and variety. Its not just about randomness, your build determines how you meet those challenges and how the randomness is done matters as well. A curated randomness, if you will, is what separates a good roguelike from a bad one.

Thanks very much for posting this, Silver. I watched the whole thing. First time I have ever watched something so scholarly about making games in 30+ years of playing them. I have a vague notion of making my own roguelike someday...

Hmm, I've never run across a roguelike that I ever thought was good. Some were almost tolerable, but that's the closest I've ever come. It's just not my thang.

This was an OUTSTANDING lecture from Tom Caldwell, and truly the potential for true and roguelikes that adhere more to the Rogue tradition, are there for the taking in today's game market. Caves of Qud is an example of this - a fantastic new roguelike that has sky's the limit potential, is getting top reviews on Steam, and is drawing gamers from all over to play it right now.

Back
Top Bottom