Sunless Skies - Kickstarter Live and Funded

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Sunless Skies is now live on kickstarter and has already exceeded its 100K goal with 29 days remaining.

Sunless Skies is a 2D, top-down, story-led game of exploration, corruption and jeopardy from Failbetter Games. It's the successor to our first game for PC, Sunless Sea, but you don't need to know Sunless Sea to play and enjoy Sunless Skies.

It is the dawn of the 20th century, and London has taken to the stars! As the captain of a spacefaring locomotive you'll behold wonders and battle cosmic abominations in the furthest heavens. Stake your claim. Fight to survive. Speak to storms. Murder a sun. Face judgement.
More information.

Sunless Sea was an interesting game. It oozed theme and the game world was really compelling. However, while I enjoyed the game, it played at a glacial pace so you had to be ok with that which I think a lot of players found frustrating. There were also some mechanics around tracking and completing quests that were too obtuse imo. Sounds like they're aware of some of these issues from the first game... hopefully they can address them in this one.

Glad to see they have such a dedicated fanbase. This got funded in what, under a day? Can't wait to see their stretch goals.

Sunless Sea was one of the most unique games to come out of Kickstarter for sure.
And one of the most atmospheric.

The only thing I did not like too much was the grind, hope they turn down on that.

They have been open about Sunless Sea issues. They want to correct. The vid shows dissent: a team member reports a capital decision as if taken externally. He does not seem convinced.
The decision being of providing a persistent universe that will give opportunities to players to rework their actions.
They will have to make deaths common occurrences so that the mechanics work.
Sunless Seas shows that players were much inclined to do one life, two life runs if anything.
Certainly not enough deaths for the mechanics to work.

Back
Top Bottom