Pillars of Eternity II - AI Scripting and Multiclassing

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The $2M stretch goal with AI scripting and Spanish localization for Pillars of Eternity II has been achieved. Next stretch goal is UI customization and Italian localization, followed by doubling the amount of voice overs and Korean localization.

Next to that there is also an update by Josh Sawyer on multiclassing.

Salve, amici. I'm here to rap at you about a very cool topic: multiclassing. In Pillars of Eternity, it took a huge amount of work to get in our 11 classes. During the early phases of Deadfire, a demon whispered in my ear, "What about multiclassing?" and here we are today.

Before I begin explaining how our multiclassing works, I'd like to explain our goals for multiclassing, because I think that can help put the system's mechanics into perspective. We want multiclassing to allow players to realize character concepts that aren't possible with the single class options. We want to keep the relative power of the multiclass character at about 75%-85% what a single class character would have at any given level. In our experience, that's the sweet spot where multiclass characters feel powerful and effective, but don't clearly outshine the single class characters. We want the multiclassing system to keep characters viable no matter when the player chooses to multiclass. We want to limit the number of permutations to something manageable. Finally, we want to give multiclass characters a unique title for their class combo.

More information.

It seems like a good system to me. While I liked the character classes in Pillars, after two playthroughs I'm glad to be able to add some more variety to my party in this one. As always a well done video.

Yep, sounds good. It seems roughly like a compromise between the AD&Dv2 and D&Dv3.5 multi-classing approaches. There's a decent level of flexibility in your character builds, and the character capabilities can roughly keep up with the single-classed characters.

Double the V.O. seems… vague. What does that mean specifically? Not that it matters; I usually just advance conversations based on my reading speed, which is much faster. They could get by just with a brief comment.

Last edited:
Sounds like a little of DnD 3.5 with HoMM IV class combinations…. not bad. I mean, pretty much *anything* is better than the system in PoE 1. Finally this man learns from his mistakes!

PS Deadfire is such a dumb title, but I guess they want to draw in as many players as possible.

PPS The body frame of Sawyer, hahaha.

I think the multiclass idea sounds really cool. Maybe now I can get to work the Druid/Rogue build I always tried and failed with in NWN and NWN2.

Sounds closer to dual classing than multi classing but no matter. I hope they don't go crazy balancing, I like the ability to make uber or gimped characters. I'd also like to see some restrictions such as not being able to wear heavier armors and cast spells, etc. there's no need to create a system that allows you to make a character that can do everything in a party based game. I like the restrictions and needing to specialize in party based games.

Sounds closer to dual classing than multi classing but no matter. I hope they don't go crazy balancing, I like the ability to make uber or gimped characters. I'd also like to see some restrictions such as not being able to wear heavier armors and cast spells, etc. there's no need to create a system that allows you to make a character that can do everything in a party based game. I like the restrictions and needing to specialize in party based games.

My man. I agree 1000%. :)

Sounds closer to dual classing than multi classing but no matter.

While it is limited to two classes, dual-classing might make people think of AD&D dual-classing where you where locked out of your first class until the second was at the same level as the first one.

The mechanics in POEII works more like D&D3.0+ multiclassing, even if limited to two classes.

I hope they don't go crazy balancing, I like the ability to make uber or gimped characters. I'd also like to see some restrictions such as not being able to wear heavier armors and cast spells, etc. there's no need to create a system that allows you to make a character that can do everything in a party based game. I like the restrictions and needing to specialize in party based games.

Considering the recovery penalty for wearing heavy armor (-50%), making a caster in full plate is gimping the character unless you plan for him to spent most of the fights standing there doing nothing.

Goddammit hold still, what does that tattoo say on his arm? Did he put all of Pillars patch notes on himself? :p

Yes, indeed. Everyone's always so worried about making the best possible build. I often just make whatever fits the character I have in mind. You know, role playing. I'm often very aware I'm "gimping" my character while doing it, and I'm fine with that. I appreciate the challenge.

Yes, indeed. Everyone's always so worried about making the best possible build. I often just make whatever fits the character I have in mind. You know, role playing. I'm often very aware I'm "gimping" my character while doing it, and I'm fine with that. I appreciate the challenge.

Same here. I like the challenge as well as the creativity of creating interesting and/or unique builds. Taking the road less traveled. I could never follow a guide or min/max in that way. It would ruin the experience for me.

Providing there are no heavy penalties for opting to take single class characters (my general preference regardless of the stretch goal) on paper at least, this sounds like an interesting system that could add interest and depth to character building.

Josh' excitement on the matter is rather infectious and it's hard not to consider the possibilities and indeed, come up with one's own titles for the class combinations.

I'm still keen to see some additional stretch goals that target actual content; particularly on the side of dungeon design. I'm hoping Obsidian really try to extend themselves beyond the more generic "kill and loot" aspects of "Endless Paths" from the first game and come up with something more in the tradition of Durlag's Tower.

Goddammit hold still, what does that tattoo say on his arm? Did he put all of Pillars patch notes on himself? :p
The next time he wakes up in the mortuary and doesn't remember a thing, he can at least read up on where he was.

The next time he wakes up in the mortuary and doesn't remember a thing, he can at least read up on where he was.

What an awesome comment :)

Back
Top Bottom