Beautiful Desolation - Kickstarter Update

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted this Kickstarter update for Beautiful Desokation:

THE WORLD OF DESOLATION

As far back as during the development of STASIS, both Nic and I spent time discussing several ideas for future projects. During these conversations we kept circling back to a vivid post apocalyptic world.

A story revolving around a similar theme to STASIS: family. The idea of two brothers, transported to another world fell beautifully into place in a post apocalyptic African dystopia. This setting was a feature of our original story. It was different, inspiring, and considering our location - achievable! For research, we just had to open the door and step outside.

[...]
South African Gamer interviewed the devs:

An interview with THE BROTHERHOOD about STASIS, CAYNE and BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION

A while back I got to play and fell in love with STASIS, an isometric adventure game set in a dark, scary near future. Now the team behind this game are back with a Kickstarter for BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION, a sci-fi adventure set in a dystopian Africa after an alien artifact allows technology to leapfrog… and lead to all-out war.

The Kickstarter is sitting past 50% of its target goal and I got Chris Bischoff to talk to us about the game, its inspiration and how things have changed since STASIS.

[SA Gamer] Thank you so much for agreeing to an interview. I know things must be pretty crazy right now, so I appreciate you making time for this!

[Chris] It’s only a pleasure!

BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION has shots of Cape Town and a distinct African aesthetic. Many local developers aim for something more first world in their creations. What was the reasoning behind this choice?

We’re using a place we know well, and we’re twisting it into a post apocalyptic world. To many, Africa is already quite a different setting and we love the post apocalyptic genre – so it seemed like a natural step for our environment. As we started to really explore what we could do in that world everything started to fall into place.

There is something romantic about walking through the ruins of a long gone society – a place that you remember, but it’s different… changed and transformed into something else.

[...]
More information.

I'm hoping this kickstarter does not fail.
Art style and atmosphere of Stasis and Cayne are wonderful - already increased my pledge, but Beautiful Desolation just needs more backers!

I'm not sure if this one is going to hit it's goal. This offering seems a little "off" to me, and the setting is not quite something that a lot of backers can relate to, I'm surmising.

I enjoyed Stasis and this looks much better, some really excellent isometric art. I really hope this one makes it. Hopefully there will be a surge of backers close to the end to push it over the edge.

I had mixed reviews after backing/playing STASIS, but… I'm comfortable that The Brotherhood games knows what they're doing now and will learn from some mistakes while further improving upon the things that were done well.

Bottom line is that Beautiful Desolation looks really cool. So much so that I'm breaking my Kickstarter boycott that has lasted several years. I hope I don't hate myself in the morning…

Last edited:
I think this looks terrific, and I hope it succeeds.

I do think there are things they could have done to polish up the pitch, which might have improved their chances. I think the name is not great, and the top few inches of the campaign page are too much unfocussed jibber-jabber.

it is not helping that PoE 2 is on FIG at same time.

Why? There's always going to be competition, every day of the year, and PoE 2 isn't exactly similar.

Wonder if they'll hire an animator this time...

Back
Top Bottom