Mass Effect: Andromeda - Dialog Options

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCGamesN reports that you won't have many dialog options in Mass Effect: Andromeda:

Mass Effect: Andromeda’s conversation options will be built around ‘agree’ and ‘disagree’

BioWare said earlier in the year that Mass Effect: Andromeda’s conversation options would be ditching the black and white morality of the original trilogy for shades of grey. Now the developers have gone on to say exactly how that will work.

In an interview with GamesRadar, creative director Max Walters explained:

"The reason [Paragon/Renegade] are gone is because they were very tied to the Shepard character, so they didn’t really make sense if we weren’t going to have Shepard as our protagonist. What we have now is based more around agreeing and disagreeing.”

Walters says this is in reaction to how binary Paragon and Renegade are. You choose red or blue and you stick to it, not thinking about your responses on a case-by-case basis. This new solution will hopefully change that.

"With agree and disagree it changes by the circumstance and it changes by the character you’re talking to, so you have to actually be more engaged in what’s going on, to know if you’re going to do that," Walters adds.

[…]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Last edited:
Either agreeing or disagreeing would still be binary.

He wanted to say that Paragon/Renegade was basically binary simplified path set for you for the whole game. Bad design IMHO. Now you can agree/disagree individually in every important dialogue based on your idea.
Of course its not guarantee that these individual dialogues will be better and not binary or simplified.

Yes, your use of the word simplified would have been a better choice of word for the author of that article. Perhaps I'm nitpicking. :p

The thing is, if you still can agree and be the dumbest ever lawful stupid paladin or disagree and select the random dickhead dialogue option, that won't be much difference. Except maybe now you won't have the red/blue meter to max out.

It seems like in the original trilogy, you were faced with a situation where you could choose between hitting the left trigger or the right trigger, and some players always pulled the left and others always pulled the right. Bioware thinks the solution to this problem is to create situations where you choose between hitting the left trigger or the right trigger, but which trigger you pull will vary from conversation to conversation. They could have achieved a similar effect by keeping the Paragon/Renegade system but randomly varying which trigger mapped to which attitude.

Yeah this doesn't sound too dissimilar to other recent bioware games. Could be good or bad depending on implementation.

Shame there won't be headbutts etc though. I thought those reactive event things were good additions to the dialogue in the previous installments - it just broke the flow occasionally and gave the player more of an illusion of control during cut scenes. Although sometimes the renegade action was a bit OTT - you expected a head butt, but instead you push someone out of a window towards certain death…. :)

Seems PCgamesN is trying to track every social networks wall or whatever because Bioware moving to Roman Empire decadence ending in order to keep us informed due to lack of proper news.
After so many "meh" things I've seen, heard and read about ME4, finally today two good news appeared.

1. ME4 singleplayer campaign is not Diablo3 and can be played offline:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/mass-effect-andromeda/mass-effect-andromeda-offline
The question remains how long this campaign is. Hopefully it's not just 10 hours of Doom.

2. ME4 openworld is not DA:I in space, apparently sidecontent is not let's grind some bears:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/mass-effect-andromeda/mass-effect-andromeda-open-world-hub-areas-witcher-3
According to that article, Bioware learned from it's direct competitor CDpr that grindy filler does not make a great game and ME4 sidestuff won't be meaningles timewaste.

Back
Top Bottom