Torment: Tides of Numenera - New Story Trailer

Great trailer :) I am so looking forward for this game to come out. I hope it will be remembered and played for a long time and become a legend like the original Torment (but with much greater commercial success for its creators :))

Nice trailer, but I'll wait for a 50% off discount, if I may :)

That was great - really enjoyed the trailer and the concept behind the characters creation - also nice and open ended in a way.

I've played a few hours of the Early Access version and then decided to wait to play it until the final version comes out.
SPOILER FREE OPINION: My main gripe was that a lot of the conversations seem pointless; the verbal equivalent of grinding. Remember when you had to write an essay for school and it had to be 500 words? So, you wrote a lot of nonsense just to get 500 words. TToN seems a bit like that; they wanted a million words and so they just stuffed irrelevant dialogue into the game. I know it's not just me because Darth Roxor said something similar in his lengthy article on RPG Codex: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10511

Anyway, I really hope the final product lives up to the hype. I'm not usually susceptible to hype, but they got me this time.

Planescape was pretty wordy from what I hear, so I think having a high word count is by design. I'm sure there will be plenty of reactivity.

Nice trailer, but I'll wait for a 50% off discount, if I may :)

First you will have to wait about a year for the enhanced version, then another 6 months for that to be 50% off. 😀

I've played a few hours of the Early Access version and then decided to wait to play it until the final version comes out.
SPOILER FREE OPINION: My main gripe was that a lot of the conversations seem pointless; the verbal equivalent of grinding. Remember when you had to write an essay for school and it had to be 500 words? So, you wrote a lot of nonsense just to get 500 words. TToN seems a bit like that; they wanted a million words and so they just stuffed irrelevant dialogue into the game. I know it's not just me because Darth Roxor said something similar in his lengthy article on RPG Codex: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10511

Anyway, I really hope the final product lives up to the hype. I'm not usually susceptible to hype, but they got me this time.

This was my main problem with the original game. So much irrelevant dialogue that 90% of the time led to the same place.

I will keep an eye on reviews for this one though as it does seem like a cool premise for a game.

Planescape was pretty wordy from what I hear, so I think having a high word count is by design. I'm sure there will be plenty of reactivity.
By this comment I can assume you didn't play PST as well. So I now it is PST and Fallout games you missed (I don't count F3 and beyond Fallout games)… are you not ashamed of yourself? (don't answer, it is a rhetorical question)

So since you know nothing about good games (while being proud you spent so much time playing Bethesda shit) I can tell you PST had lots of words but most of the time it was mesmerising to read them. I have not played TToN beta but people that played that and PST say TToN just has a lot of words.

Wow that trailer did a fantastic job of explaining the plot. Never seen one prior so well thought out and concise.

To be honest up to this point I didn't even know the plot of the game.

So since you know nothing about good games (while being proud you spent so much time playing Bethesda shit)

Eh? Most of Fluent's posts are about interesting, obscure indie games from what I see, and he clearly likes proper old-school mechanics.

Although yeah, if you haven't played them yet Fluent, make some time on your bsuy list for these. Particularly Fallout in my view, which is one of my favorite rpg experiences. I keep meaning to have a play through with a low intelligence character - I hear its an entertaining experience!

Back on topic, this looks really interesting and I'm looking forward to it.

I have not played TToN beta but people that played that and PST say TToN just has a lot of words.

It's also up against the nostalgia factor, so anything that comes out now is going to be considered inferior by a certain group of people. I'm sure Numenera will be fine.

Eh? Most of Fluent's posts are about interesting, obscure indie games from what I see, and he clearly likes proper old-school mechanics.

Yessir. :)

Don''t know... after reading Darth Roxor's article on RPG writing, I think I'll wait for at least a 66% off (instead of 50%) before getting TToN. :p

@ The constant criticism of RPG writing, I say to to each their own. I personally don't need Tolkien or Shakespeare-level writing to enjoy an RPG. As the great Ken Rolston said,

AusGamers: So games are basically always going to be a set of preset systems that we interact with, but have limitations regardless, because of that.

Ken: Limited conventions, like a sonnet. Why is that bad thing? It’s a wonderful thing! You learn to take your conventions; you do the very best that you can do with them within those conventions. It turns out that these games aren’t bad! They’re fun! They’re very satisfying. It’s just that when we get into this abstract discussion about RPGs in general. I think it’s nice to say -- within this framework -- we’re living in a very, very tiny world of the possibility space. And that huge possibility space outside of it that you dream about -- that’s completely somewhere else.

and

Now what you’re talking about is in the sense of humanity. You’re looking for the humanity in literature and art and I’m saying maybe you should stick with film or novels, because they’re really, really good places to do that. Or live-action role-playing games, where it’ll be a lot better than it is in your computer game. In live-action role-playing where you’re actually talking to human beings.

and a bit on voice acting that I highly agree with

For example: let’s talk in the abstract about the worst thing that ever happened to role-playing games is recorded audio for dialogue. I happen to believe that was the death of my joy. Because that limits... that causes production things... the content has to be nailed down at a certain point.

So [voiced] text is not easily revisable. As I play, text is easily revisable; audio isn’t. As I play, I want to make tiny little changes to the tone, to the feel of things, but you can’t do that when you have all this audio -- oh my god, all the audio that we have to record! So what I’m going to say is: for what the audience wants, we are forced to create these things that are very brittle, that cannot be revised.

Whereas in the happy old days of Baldurs Gate and things like that, I thought you had the best of both worlds. You could have a little snippet of dialogue that would give character, but then you would get in text trees which you could easily scan and click through. For page, that’s the important thing; dialogue pace. In a good old-fashioned role-playing game, the user controls the pace, where unfortunately in both video and recorded audio, you can’t scan it and you can’t backtrack in it.

First you will have to wait about a year for the enhanced version, then another 6 months for that to be 50% off. 😀

I can wait :)

Question is: can they ?

I find as I get older I become more likely to only skim long bits of writing in CRPGs, but it does depend on how relevant it is to the game as a whole. For example I enjoy reading the flavor text for bestiary entries because you spend so much time in combat, it's nice to know what your fighting. On the other hand, every time I play an elder scrolls game, I tell myself that this time I'm going to actually read those books, but I just can't do it. They are just too far removed from the actual gameplay experience. I also tend to start skimming in spiderweb games by the time the 10th NPC tells me about their detailed life story.

I don't remember ever skimming PST, which may speak to it being well written and relevant to actual gameplay. But it may also have just been that I was younger, and dialogue heavy games where more novel back then.

Back
Top Bottom