Shock Tactics - Preview @GameGrin

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
GameGrin has previewed Shock Tactics and finds it a promising title that wears its XCOM influences proudly.

"All units can use all weapons and armour, regardless of class, so players are free to choose how they will equip their squad" Leonard tells me. "You have three abilities that are class-related, and three slots that are unlocked with level and can then be trained. You can also change them later in the game."

One of these abilities is the awesome teleportation skill, that allows your soldier to place three beacons and teleport to each of them in quick succession, shooting whichever enemy is closest to each one. Leonard utilises this to clear out half an enemy squad, before losing an allied mercenary to enemy gunfire.

Although the game is focused on aggressiveness, it is not meant to be frustrating and punishing. Whenever your soldiers die, you got three turns to reach them and stabilise their vitals, meaning they get to rest for a few days in a hospital instead of a cemetery. The campaign also keeps the difficulty slightly in check: "It starts with a tutorial, and then the player gets a story about why they're there and it sets up the game. It tells them what they have to do, and then we basically let the player loose." Leonard says. "He can explore the planet and choose the missions, they're pretty free at this stage. And then, the Consortium invasion fleet is coming to the planet, and the player has 70 days to prepare. So these 70 days are like the exploration phase of the game, and after those 70 days, his outposts get attacked by the Consortium and the enemy troops get way stronger."
[…]

A new gameplay trailer was released recently

Shock Tactics is a turn-based sci-fi strategy game with squad management, exploration, base building and tactical combat that captures the heat of the battle while maintaining fluid gameplay. http://shock-tactics-game.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shocktactics...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PointBlankG4mes

More information.

Good, we need more RPGs of "Squad Tactics" kind. I hope the devs embrace and support modding. I'll keep my eye on this game :)

Looks fresh but the music is awful.

Mouth agape :-oooooo INSTABUY!! MUST BUY. Excellent trailer music, very good particles and sound effects. Top notch animation. Refreshing art direction sizzling with new energy. I feel this has the potential to be much better than crappy XCOM from Firaxis. 10/10 from the trailer

In the comments of that video someone asked for release date in German (or maybe it was about beta) and they said end of March if I understood it well.

Might as well change my name to sucker4turnbased.

It sounds promising and everything, but the devs really seem to bend over backwards to assure everyone it's not going to be hard...

There's a Steam page.

Back
Top Bottom