Torment:ToN - Review Roundup #2

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is the second batch of Torment: Tides of Numenera reviews.

A video review at Angry Centaur Gaming:

More information.

Last edited:
"GOG Connected, 8"

The correct name is COG Connected. GOG Connect is another thing, entirely different. :p

What's a "revire"?

No one's really sure, so we all pretend we don't see it. Maybe it's an actual word and I will seem ignorant for not knowing it...

More great reviews. I hope the sales start to take off, I sure as hell think inXile deserves them.

What's a "revire"?

according to dictionary.com
noun
a state of dreamy meditation or fanciful musing:
lost in revire.
a daydream.
a fantastic, visionary, or impractical idea:
reviries that will never come to fruition.
Music. an instrumental composition of a vague and dreamy character.

verb (used with object), revired, reviring.
to regard with respect tinged with awe; venerate:
The child revired her mother.

Like I was saying the other day, "I revire gogconnected. It gives me reviries!"

That would be revere and reverie? I think...

Sure sounds like the definition for reverie.

It must have been a roundup up fanciful musings then :)

You forgot the cog :p

Yeah, my cog wheels are turning slowly apparently.

Nice, I've really been enjoying this title as well.

At first I thought it was a bit of a let down, with environments that didn't seem very interactive and the system for character building seemed a tad too simplistic as well, but as I kept exploring I got totally swept up in both the main story as well as many of the side-quests. Interesting characters & lots of neat little surprises to discover puts this game above my latest played title "Deus Ex:MD" (not that I didn't enjoy that title as well)

Been a long time since I played a game that keeps me up late at night and is my first go-to game when I get home instead of my two current staples. I am still in the main area but at 15 hours played now. Just entered the final area in the main city - the docks (some name that begins with a C). So I will probably get somewhere between 15-17 hours for the main area before I finally venture out.

I think I will be fine with shorter game time since this is more story driven and it has a great story so far. The combat has picked up lately and recently did one place that had a fair amount of it ... and by the end I was glad it was over. Not because of the combat mechanics but I forgot how time-consuming true turn based combat is and how much I dislike it now. Used to love it ... but after years with real-time turn-based combat (that pseudo style which I like) or just real time combat going back to the very time consuming and somewhat tedious turn based combat has been hard - at least when there is a lot of it. So maybe they got the right balance with less combat. I enjoy the occasional battle and they are challenging. But at the same time death can mean having to try it over again and since they are so long ... well I for one have decided they hit the right balance in combat for me at least.

Leveling is fun, especially to a new tier as you get all kinds of new things to play with. It is a very interesting level up design with many choices at first that narrow down since you can only take one option per tier. I found it complex enough to be satisfying myself.

I also like how I can really do so much through dialogue using persuasion, deception, and getting hints with the Amanasia (no idea how to spell since I don't know how to pronounce it) skill - that lets you increase your chance of accessing past memories.

Quests are fun and they weave a tangled web a lot. A few times I thought I had hit a block only to work on another quest that helped solve the block in some other quest. Encountered that over the weekend when I was stuck in combat unable to defeat my opponents with my weak combat character. But after doing some more things got another option that let me avoid combat.

Followers are fun as well although I totally regret taking on Rhin. I felt sorry for her at first but she has just turned into a needy whiny child ... course she is a child. But my character is too nice to boot her from the party. Next time going to try and avoid her completely.

Anyhow looking forward to whatever comes next in the game.

Followers are fun as well although I totally regret taking on Rhin. I felt sorry for her at first but she has just turned into a needy whiny child … course she is a child. But my character is too nice to boot her from the party. Next time going to try and avoid her completely.

Anyhow looking forward to whatever comes next in the game.

Like I said in the impressions thread: Get her to tier 3, and start using cyphers with her. One or two cyphers per fight and she's badass.

Like I said in the impressions thread: Get her to tier 3, and start using cyphers with her. One or two cyphers per fight and she's badass.

Thanks Maylander - missed that earlier. Admittedly I am skimming some of these threads as I am worried about spoilers being blurted out. Hints and such as this is fine but trying to avoid any big reveals.

Thanks Maylander - missed that earlier. Admittedly I am skimming some of these threads as I am worried about spoilers being blurted out. Hints and such as this is fine but trying to avoid any big reveals.

Totally understandable. It's definitely the kind of game you really don't want spoiled.

Back
Top Bottom