Tyranny - Virtue of the Villain

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted this editorial about Tyranny on OnlySP:

Tyranny Examines the Virtue of the Villain

RPGs are synonymous with the hero’s journey. Whether tasked with saving the kingdom or galaxy, or simply defeating a great evil, gamers come into these titles with a certain expectation to do good deeds and hold back the tides of darkness. However, some of the better RPGs, especially in recent years, do not portray morality in such a stark, black-and-white fashion. Instead, such titles allow many of the decisions players make to exist in a grey area. Few ever put the player in direct control of a villain, at least from the onset. In Tyranny, Obsidian subverts this tradition, casting players as a bad guy in the form of a Fatebinder of the Overlord Kyros. Tasked with overseeing the final conquest of the Tiers, the last country holding out from Kyros’s rule, players are the villain, the conqueror coming to crush the last holdouts under the Overlord’s heel. Yet players are not blindly the black on this moral scale, as two main factions exist within this evil, the Disfavored and the Scarlet Chorus, which offer vastly different versions of that morality, and therein allow players to explore evil from the perspective of the bad guys.

[...]
More information.

I could not have played it for long. It uses the same atrocious ruleset as PoE 1, so character building I felt has been boring and unrewarding. Combat was dull, as you've had yourself encountering humans (warrior/archer/mage) ninety percent of the time. The companions were pretentious as hell, and I hate being unable to dismiss them right away. Only then did I've discovered the game has been pushing insidiously a liberal agenda through world-building, quests and dialogue. So even when I disregard that fact completely, the core RPG has been as bland as PoE 1, or actually worse.

Back
Top Bottom