Tale of Ronin - Announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Deaf Mage Inc. announced their new RPG - Tale of Ronin:

Tale of Ronin Debut Trailer

Live as a ronin, survive the consequences of your choices in a dynamic world of turmoil and violence. An RPG game about camaraderie and betrayal, about war and peace, and above all honor, coming to PC and consoles.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Great aesthetic in the trailer though it doesn't reveal too much about gameplay. I've always felt there's a lack of good RPGs that use ancient Eastern cultures or mythologies (though maybe there are JRPGs that do that but I don't play those much). Fingers crossed on this one.

I'm not impressed.
By the trailer this game should have been titled "sepukku" and not ronin.

I like the opening quote,I like the music and the art style,the sound,the setting.
Not much is revealed ,but if it is a sidescroler game then I don't really like that.

I wonder, is this the graphical approach that the game will take? Or is it just a trailer?

Attachments

• C0CyxE-WIAApqj-.jpg
    C0CyxE-WIAApqj-.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 6
  • C1RckVlUUAE3iMe.jpg
    C1RckVlUUAE3iMe.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 5
  • C2HnAhIXcAEHooz.jpg
    C2HnAhIXcAEHooz.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 6
I like the art, but, yes, that trailer and the website tell you next to nothing about the game.

Hey, does anyone remember the name of the samurai-type RPG under development with tactical turn-based combat that has been covered by the Watch in the past? I thought it was subtitled "Dawn," but I searched that word in the database here and came up empty. That one looked promising, as I vaguely recall.

Edit: Nevermind. I was close. It's subtitled Dusk. Looks like it died. :(

Last edited:
Glad you found the game, and here are a few Samurai games that might interest you.

Disgraced - http://store.steampowered.com/app/485360/
Based in Feudal Japan, Disgraced allows you to assume the role of a soldier who was reluctantly conscripted into the newly proclaimed Shogun's army. Serving a corrupt and tyrannical government, you're expected to follow orders and commit terrible atrocities. Torn between duty and justice, you must choose your own path, and forge your own destiny.
Way of the Samurai 3 - http://store.steampowered.com/app/427510/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1
Honour, sacrifice, betrayal… Your choices make you who you are. How will history remember you? You must wield the sword of a mysterious lone samurai during Japan’s turbulent Sengoku era, in one of the most atmospheric action RPGs ever created.

Explore the villages, body-strewn battlefields, bandit fortresses, immense castles and local town of Amana, in an open world bustling with a rich cast of colourful characters that you can help, ignore or victimise.
Way of the Samurai 4 - http://store.steampowered.com/app/312780/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1
Way of the Samurai 4 takes place in the humble port town of Amihama during the mid 19th Century, several years after the arrival of the “black ships” from the West ended Japan’s long history of cultural isolation. Amihama’s downtown area has slowly been converted to a “Little Britain,” complete with European-styled buildings, occupied by an influx of adventurous foreign settlers. Not everyone welcomes these new residents though, and three distinct factions with opposing ideals begin to take shape.

Thanks for recommendations, Couch. I've almost pulled the trigger on Way of the Samurai before, but I've never heard of the other one.

How about Kenshi, Couch? I think I recall you in the old Kenshi threads back in the beginning. I bought the game from the developer, and I think I lost the key or something and bought it again when it hit Steam. Been a long time, and I see it's still in Early Access, although getting good reviews. Played Kenshi lately, Couch or anyone?

How about Kenshi, Couch? I think I recall you in the old Kenshi threads back in the beginning. I bought the game from the developer, and I think I lost the key or something and bought it again when it hit Steam. Been a long time, and I see it's still in Early Access, although getting good reviews. Played Kenshi lately, Couch or anyone?
Kenshi has been in beta for years, but it does show promise. Its an open world RPG so you can do whatever you want similar to how the Mount & Blade series plays out.

Basically you make your own story, but be warned it still needs more fine tuning as the updates explain why. You can also buy it GOG, or Steam if you prefer.

Guess I'll hold off for a couple more years then. :p

Hey, does anyone remember the name of the samurai-type RPG under development with tactical turn-based combat that has been covered by the Watch in the past? I thought it was subtitled "Dawn," but I searched that word in the database here and came up empty. That one looked promising, as I vaguely recall.

OneSamurai: Dusk isn't necessarily dead. The developer has recent updates on twitter and released an alpha demo on Indiedb last year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom