Divinity: Original Sin II - Seeking Summoners

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Take a look at a new class for Divinity: Original Sin II called Summoners.

Seeking Summoners

The "Summoning" school revolves around summoning a personal Incarnate and infusing that Incarnate with elements and powers. Summoners also use strategically placed and totems to turn the tide of battle.

The Summoner's Incarnate resembles a small, hairy devil, and can be a flexible and efficient partner in combat. They seem to absorb the elemental powers of the surface they are summoned on. Some tales tell of Summoners who call upon Familiars or Inner Demons instead of Incarnates.

Like Incarnates, totems also utilize powers that reflect the surface on which they are summoned, and cast automatic attacks and other nasty effects.

The elemental powers of the totems and Incarnates, as well as the added strategy of dealing with multiple and potentially unpredictable foes cause Summoners to be fearful opponents indeed.

It is also said that at full power, Summoners can create portals, form storms and utterly dominate the minds of their enemies. So be sure the nearest Summoner is on your side before your next adventure.
More information.

My two favorite classes to play in rpg's would be paladins and necromancers. I would say this summoner fits into the necro class. Sounds good to me.

My two favorite classes to play in rpg's would be paladins and necromancers. I would say this summoner fits into the necro class. Sounds good to me.

You just named my favorite and least favorite classes :) Wisdom does not raise demons or undead.

So have they set an actual release date yet? It's getting harder every day not to hit "Install" in my Steam game browser, but I refuse to spoil myself...

Ok…so more tie-in with elemental surface types. I find its getting a bit old now, cool when they first introduced it, but not so much now. Seems to be the lynchpin of most tactics. Presumably if you don't have (or create) a surface, you'll get some less useful or damaging form of summon? Presumably when the summon dies it will explode and cause yet another surface type to form. I remember many combats where every bloody pixel in the game had some affect lying over it. Yes, you had abilities like hover etc, but not everyone had that Also, it was too easy to just levitate enemies into lava pools (which are instant kill). I won quite a few very tough fights by using that trick (which is a bit of a joke). Often you don't even know that doing X will cause some cascading chain reaction and result in surfaces of type Y, W, and Z splashed everywhere. I find that takes away from tactical control, rather than adding to it.

For me the obsession with environmental hazards/surfaces is an over-used part of the game - I died numerous times (after tough fights I barely survived) because I stepped on the wrong pixel or combat ended before I could cleanse myself of poison etc. This part of their mechanic (sudden drop out of TB) is still "broken" - I have played the beta and you can still quite easily die when combat ends, even if you had resources to stop the effect, because 'real-time' suddenly reasserts itself.

Ok…so more tie-in with elemental surface types. I find its getting a bit old now, cool when they first introduced it, but not so much now. Seems to be the lynchpin of most tactics. Presumably if you don't have (or create) a surface, you'll get some less useful or damaging form of summon? Presumably when the summon dies it will explode and cause yet another surface type to form. I remember many combats where every bloody pixel in the game had some affect lying over it. Yes, you had abilities like hover etc, but not everyone had that Also, it was too easy to just levitate enemies into lava pools (which are instant kill). I won quite a few very tough fights by using that trick (which is a bit of a joke). Often you don't even know that doing X will cause some cascading chain reaction and result in surfaces of type Y, W, and Z splashed everywhere. I find that takes away from tactical control, rather than adding to it.

For me the obsession with environmental hazards/surfaces is an over-used part of the game - I died numerous times (after tough fights I barely survived) because I stepped on the wrong pixel or combat ended before I could cleanse myself of poison etc. This part of their mechanic (sudden drop out of TB) is still "broken" - I have played the beta and you can still quite easily die when combat ends, even if you had resources to stop the effect, because 'real-time' suddenly reasserts itself.

This is exactly how I feel and why I got tired and moved on to something else after 50 hours. I want to go back and finish eventually but I'm burned out on that formula right now.

And yes many deaths after a fight I click to leave the area and my guy runs right through fire or poison and dies. I started just standing around after fight to wait for the effects to fade which didn't contribute to the fun factor.

IIRC when I played D:OS at release, the best way was for everybody to have some summon. I don't remember if it was because the AI would always focus on them or what, but the battles were much easier when there were 4 summons taking the hits instead of my members. Did they ever do something about it?

What's the current ETA? I still have March 31st in my notes.

The elemental interaction is a very unique and new idea and I look forward to them expanding it. It was great fun in the first game. And I for one can't wait for the occasional curveball when I accidentally cause a massive chain reaction of explosions and madness! Keeps things interesting. :)

I also recall most battles where the good ol' fighter Madora was by far my most important character, and she didn't have a single elemental attack. Summons were useful as well as arrows and ranged weapons. Getting excited to check the new one out!

Last edited:
Wow. That came really fast. If it is still March 31st then you guys won't see me for a month or so as my dad and I co-op the game. :)

Is that a promise? Hurry up March 31st! ;)

Wow. That came really fast. If it is still March 31st then you guys won't see me for a month or so as my dad and I co-op the game. :)
It won't be released ar March 31st. I just don't have another source than Q12017. That's why I asked if I missed an announcement or something.

They have not made any announcements on the date. Currently the estimate in our database is Q2, but that's as good a guess as Q3 or Q4.

Back
Top Bottom