The Man Came Around - On Kickstarter

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PCGamer The Man Came Around is on Kickstarter and comes with a free demo. The game itself is a survival rpg which explores the themes of fascism and repression. The goal is for 10K euros and has made close to 4K already with 28 days to go.

As mentioned there, Occida is The Man Came Around's fictional settings that's said to be the "most powerful nation of the world", but has been "shaken by mass protests met by brutal repression". An internal war has broken on between activist group The Many and the government, which has in turn forced the country into a dictatorship.

From here, you assume the role of five nomad citizens aiming to cross the North Border to freedom. Naturally, this proves no easy feat as you're forced to manage scarce resources, make life-threatening decisions, and battle both the heavily armed guards scattered across the mountain and the elements themselves.
[…]

Features :

• Political fable: The story explores how a democratic system can fall, ruined by special interests. And asks the crucial question: How could it happen?
  • Moral Choices: Sacrificing a member, making shady deals or letting innocents die in order to survive … Those choices will impact the story.
  • Group Survival: Permadeath for the characters! It's up to you to finish the game with five or only one survivor.
  • Trauma System: Stress and guilt will impact your characters' psyche.
  • Interactive Narration: Let your choices change the story. Replay to discover all possibilities.
  • Lost in a Maze: Explore a labyrinthine world full of secrets.
  • Unique Graphic Style: 2D handcrafted speed painting.
More information.

Very cheap looking 2D art. Need a better artist. Overall the direction is good.

I don't think it's a question of the artist's skill. It's a question of style. I imagine they're going for a bleak, minimalist look.

Sure, it's okay that it's bleak. But very amateurishly drawn.

It has a storyboard look, or maybe a lean graphic novel. Certainly a valid art style, but perhaps not for those who crave flashy eye candy.

Hi everyone! I'm the dev behind The Man Came Around. Thank you for those who supported the project (and those who will :p)

And the answer concerning the artistic style is … both! From the start, the art direction of the game was to have a minimalistic approach. But I'm not a professional artist either, so it's totally amateurishly drawn :D

You can find informations about the game and its visual progression on this kickstarter update.

P.S.: I dream about an alternative version of The Man Comes Around. But it probably won't happen because ... well ... copyright, money, etc

Back
Top Bottom