Sol Ni Koro - Now on Kickstarter

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Back To Basic Gaming started a Kickstarter and a Steam Greenlight campaign for their RPG Sol Ni Koro:

Sol Ni Koro is an epic RPG set in a handcrafted 3D world mixed with 2D pixel sprites. Inspired by the golden era of video games - designed for the modern era.

Our goal

From day one we set out to develop an exciting and compelling RPG with a vast story and interesting characters. The project that emerged became a modern RPG that evokes nostalgia, but also improves on many of the pitfalls of classic RPGs that we remember so fondly.

Modern technology has allowed us to design and develop a beautiful and vast 3D world, with stunning towns, dungeons, depth of field and verticality that adds to the game's atmosphere. The 360 degree camera allows the player to fully explore the 3D environment, rotating and zooming to find hidden paths or just to get a better look at the world.
More information.

The engine and examples look OK, but I'm just so sick of "giant pixel" retro-look. We wouldn't have made games with giant pixels back in the day given the choice (not much you can do at 320x256!), but this indie insistance on "faking the past" is just bad.

The engine itself looks like it'll be fine for basic RPG purposes, so no complaints on the tech, but please devs, design your art for 1080p clarity and use the extra clarity to add more narrative/emotional detail to sprites. By all means give your game an old school feel with basic tech and (some) recycling of assets, but don't fake it with substandard art "because that's what they did back then". I assure you, we didn't do it on purpose!

this indie insistance on "faking the past" is just bad.

The essence of hipsterism - faking style forcefully .

Usually people who are clueless and cant come up with their own ideas, people who never had their own attitude and their own style

The engine and examples look OK, but I'm just so sick of "giant pixel" retro-look. We wouldn't have made games with giant pixels back in the day given the choice (not much you can do at 320x256!), but this indie insistance on "faking the past" is just bad.

The engine itself looks like it'll be fine for basic RPG purposes, so no complaints on the tech, but please devs, design your art for 1080p clarity and use the extra clarity to add more narrative/emotional detail to sprites. By all means give your game an old school feel with basic tech and (some) recycling of assets, but don't fake it with substandard art "because that's what they did back then". I assure you, we didn't do it on purpose!
Yes, the pixel art fad for me lasted one game.

The one game that it really worked for me on was Evoland, which evolved from giant pixels through to about Final Fantasy 7 level graphics. That made sense in terms of gameplay and what the designer intended (showing the evolution of video games), and despite its low-fi beginnings, that game evolves into a modern recreation of a Playstation-era basic-poly 3D RPG (at a modern res). This works really well, and I thoroughly enjoyed Evoland, but the key was in making the low-fi portions a meaningful part of the game.

Another excellent "retro" style of game is Itle Dew, which is effectively Indie-Zelda. However, despite feeling similar to NES/SNES Zelda games, the art was clear and sharp and utilized modern pixel-counts to provide the feel and "simplicity" of an older game, without the baggage.

Back
Top Bottom