HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Joshua Smith aka Old Man Mordaith has reviewed Expeditions: Viking:

Expeditions: Viking – A Tale of Time and Blood

Venture to the Unknown

At the end of May in 2013, the company Logic Artists released Expeditions: Conquistador. The title was a well-received tactical RPG with a fantastic take on simulating a journey to the new world. It was with great anticipation that a sequel arrived on our shores here in 2017. Not a direct sequel mind you… This adventure would focus on another group of explorers: The Vikings.

This title sees you taking control over a clan and its holdings not long after the death of your father. Considered a complicated ruler, your father had the respect of his peers in many regards, but angered others with his poor leadership skills. Fate forces you down the same path your father took, with all the detractors and supporters that came with it. It becomes a race against time to assure you can gain and keep the strategic resources necessary to show strength in the face of your clans enemies and maintain your holdings. You will get to explore, battle, suffer grievous wounds, and investigate mysteries – all in a well crafted historically close setting. The fantastic authentic sounding musical score brings everything home.

[...]

There are lots of skills here as well; my count puts them at over sixty divided over five categories. Some of them are non-ranked perks or abilities, while others have ranked levels that increase their effectiveness or add new powers to your character when you increase them. While I struggled with where to spend my starting points, once in the game I never felt like any of them were bad choices. I just needed to lean in hard with my character’s strengths. That said, you will be grateful for every new character you add to your hird, as every skill they offer brings something valuable to the table. Leadership, Witchcraft, and Healing are incredibly useful skills that I found to be game changers in many situations. But I know I’ll be trying the game again with different characters and powers to see how it works out.

The concept of experience and levelling is a bit different, but it moves well with the narrative-driven concept of the game. You do not get experience for killing bad guys and winning fights – not exactly, anyway. Instead, you get awarded skill points when you handle a situation. Did you murder the homeless children (by mistake! I swear) or maybe took the time to find an alternative non-violent approach? Either way you’re getting skill points at the end of it, which are used to increase your character’s abilities. A simple sweet system that allows for growth with out being level or even combat dependant.

[...]

Besides a few minor gripes, this game is well-executed, and I ran in to no major bugs or glitches that stand out. I look forward to seeing more from Logic Artists as they continue to expand on their Expeditions series. Just, maybe no timer next time.

Rating 8/10
More information.

He should have waited a day. 1.0.3 went live last night, making it possible to turn off the timer if you want. (Though it will cost you achievements.)

Still, it's not WAI with timers disabled.

Still not a sure which game he played as lots of things he wrote are just incorrect.

While I struggled with where to spend my starting points, once in the game I never felt like any of them were bad choices.
There are some skills which are plain useless. For example "additional attacks of opportunity". In 40 hours you have maybe 5 attacks of opportunity total. It won't happen more than once or twice in the game that this skill would have any effect. Probably it will never happen as the opponent tries to not trigger them.
But there are several other skills which are basically useless. Among them pretty much everything which takes an action bus doesn't do damage. This actually includes healing. I threw my healer out of the combat party as healing in combat is useless. (It's needed outside of combat for threating wounds though).

Did you murder the homeless children (by mistake! I swear) or maybe took the time to find an alternative non-violent approach?
Good that he mentions this quest. And bad that he mentions it as positive example, as this is actually an example of bad quest design as mentioned in another thread.
When you get the quest you get told that there is a non-violent solution. And you keep searching and searching. But there isn't. The only way to solve it non-violent is if you took a different choice hours ago. But you will never know that if you don't look into forums. Instead you keep searching or just fighting them to get the Skillpoints and finish the quest.

You need to be mindful of your party’s supplies and where you are heading
No, food is never an issue. You can put an unlimited amount of people hunting, you will never run out of food. In fact I just sold 300 rations as they just piled up and had no use.

This is one of the best tactical combat games I’ve had the pleasure of playing in some time. It was easy to understand, with your available actions clearly colour coded, and never did I find a character to be a complete waste. There was always something to do, and even my sub-optimal characters could find a way to interact and grant an interesting synergy with others. A versatile ability coming from the Leadership skill, for example, would refresh an ally’s attack action this round. It made all the difference in some fights, and could be used routinely.

Besides of the first hours the game basically has almost zero tactical value.
And a character cannot become complete waste, because you always have enough points to just train "everything". Just the stats hold them back. But you don't need more than 5-6 characters for combat anyways. So actually all other characters can be considered complete waste.
And no - refreshing someones attack is something which might somewhat sound good on paper until you realize that this is a full action and you could have shot 1-2 people in this turn instead.

Battle was unforgiving and furious.
Uhm…no. ^^

I ran in to no major bugs or glitches that stand out
But there are tons of small ones. Glitches in quests (4 of them yet), doing crits even though you selected non-lethal mode, far too loud music, broken music controls, hunting ground not decreasing in quality, prices not dependent on demand/supply or "setting" at vendor though the game implies they should, you can buy/sell items at same vendor for profit, display bug with resources in building screen on map, crafting armor doesnt use special supply items, crafting armor can result in cursed items, broken timeline in faction view, autosaves when entering a camp are broken (enemy vanish after reloading).
Bonus: As German you also get more than 80 translation errors in 40h of gameplay.

Overall I don't think the review is very helpful. It's obvious he is fascinated about the choices and setting and that's fine. But you should be realistic and objective.

If he wanted to write a very positive review without focusing on the negative things I mentioned, he shouldn't have "made them good" but instead mention them shortly as issues and instead focus in the story and tons of options you have with decisions, even when losing fights.

The most time he actionally spent on a single thing was to describe the time factor, which could have been handled in 2 sentences.

I disagree about healing. I use two healers in combat since skills are plentiful.
I also use poison and demoralise a lot due to the amount of enemy archers, so Roskva has been very useful to me. Also, her knife skill is OP. Stun someone and deathblow :D

About the inspire ability, it can be very useful, you just need to find the right opportunities.
For me it's been useful to ensure a last hit on an enemy that would otherwise have been able to punish me. It's also only a attack action, not a full action.

Most of your other points, I can agree with or understand.

I also disagree with Kordanor about healing, but for those who'll read this, I set the difficulty on normal while he was playing on insane. Also, I won all fights, he… Couldn't do that. Which doesn't mean he should, the game knows certain fights are near impossible and there is combat lose scenario (as it's just one battle not the whole war).
Some skills are definetly useless, have to agree on that, but not all nondamage are useless. Stun a hard-to-kill trashmob with shield (no damage) and they can't deflect your arrows during that turn. Or stun a trashmob who's scripted as temporarily invincible.

The kids quest also I'd always add as a positive example. You had three choices, which are forgiveness, execution or exile. You took the first one, well, kids will suffer for it later. Due to a bug, KOing them would count as a murder but for all I know it's now fixed.

The rest, I agree. The review is not an example of quality. ;)

Well, I also won all fights (but needed some attempts for the one I posted in another thread which you arent supposed to win), and I agree that stun and removing the shield are useful. But there are lots of other skills like kick, all the buffs or even feint.

And while you can have healing ofc because you have almost unlimited points anyways, if you have to decide between healing or a weapon skill, healing would be the worst option. Just have healing as additional skill on a maxed out fighter is a decent addition ofc even you will hardly use it.

On insane basically everone without a shield either dies by:
1 Shot or 1 charge attack
2 Shots or 2 attacks
with the exception of shield dudes which require:
3-4 attacks or 1 removing shield/stun + 2 attacks/shots

And I guess on easier dificulties they will die even faster.

And of course if you are dual wielding weapons or using a bow you can do these 2 attacks with one character per turn.

And enemies who are dead cannot hurt you. So normally you will not require a healer, because you won't take damage. If you replace a DD with a healer, you necessarily take more damage.

And in the beginning your armor won't be perfect. And the same rules apply to you: 1-2 attacks and your character is dead (on insane difficulty). So even healing doesn't prevent them from going down (of course you can also resurrect with max skill).

Funny thing: When I used Röskva in my party for healing, guess who was always attacked first and died. And that's even with taking the "less likely to be attacked" skill, which almost felt more than a taunt.

Speaking of taunt. Another skill which isn't really usefull. You could kill the opponent instead of taunting, or instead if increasing your party members resistance.
The best thing you can do regarding to tanking is always to build a front row of two guys with shields, blocking the LOS between enemy archers and your archers. While there isn't a LOS break on own characters there is one on enemy characters. So they can't shoot past your characters, but you can shoot past your front row.

Cmon, it's not to be taken as something negative, unlocking useless skills is pretty much normal.
For example people are still buying i7 for gaming. :evilgrin:

Well, it's a negative thing and a design weakness. But of course Viking isn't the only game with this an it certainly doesn't destroy a game.

Just wanted to point out that this

While I struggled with where to spend my starting points, once in the game I never felt like any of them were bad choices.

Isn't correct.

Back
Top Bottom