Phoenix Point - FAQ Update

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
There are two new additions to the Phoenix Point FAQ:

FAQ Update

How will the shooting work? Will it have more realistic ballistics simulation?

Currently we have a system similar to modern XCOMs. We will soon prototype a more simulated ballistics system, but we have to solve some interface/feedback issues. The player needs to have a some idea of what kind of damage might be expected from a particular position. The cover system will obviously be different, and it also needs to integrate with the hit location system. We have a plan, so we will see how well it works.

How will stealth work? Aside from silenced weapons like the crossbow, are there any other mechanics?

We have a design for this, although it is not currently implemented or tested. The system is based on detection ranges based on a character’s perception attribute modified by equipment and abilities. Various abilities and tech may reduce those ranges. You will be able to see detection ranges for known enemies. Normally, using a weapon will make a character spotted, but stealth weapons negate this.

Is the map randomly generated?

The battle maps will be generated using randomly selected, pre-designed components as in original X-COM and XCOM 2. We will add variable positioning of obstacles, such as barriers and vehicles. Additionally, locations may have already suffered significant battle damage before your squad arrives, creating more of an appearance of a war zone.

How will research work? Will there be a UFOpedia like classic X-COM?

Research will be based on a tech tree which will be revealed as the game is played. Each of the factions possesses some unique tech at the start of the game, and they will engage in their own research and development. You can acquire their tech, and there will be some unique options for the player based on combined tech from two or more factions. There will be a UFOpedia style database which you can access any time.

What are the estimated system requirements?

We cannot say for sure yet, but we realise this is a concern for many players. The requirements definitely won’t be too onerous, and there will plenty of options to optimise performance to run on lower end machines.
More information.

I'm liking the sound of a proper stealth system, although it will probably be hard as hell to properly balance. Still a really cool creatures if they manage to pull it off.

This will be the first X-Com style game I'll play.

You should try Open Xcom in the meantime.

This will be the first X-Com style game I'll play.

You mean you haven't played the classics nor nuXcom nor Xenonauts? You've missed out.

Wow, it's been years since I played Enemy Unknown. Do you find it a better game than Xenonauts?
Enemy Unknown is the name of the Firaxis version.

Open Xcom is Gollops game enhanced to work well on modern computers, with fixed bugs and with optional setting that improve UI, change some strange design decisions (like not being able to change orders of aircraft during flight in the original game). I also has some of the graphical enhancement filters similar to what BGEE did or what new SC:BW 1.18 has as well working well on high resolution 16:9 monitors.

It is THE version of UFO to play if you want to the play the Gollop version. Gameplay itself is not really changed. But there are also mods for Open Xcom that add new weapons and stuff and Open Xcom comes with some mods you can turn on like making it so killing aliens makes their weapons explode like in Firaxis version.
Packaged mod I use is that Aliens know how to pick up weapons from the ground after they drop them due to panic or your mind control.

The new game is called Enemy Unknown as well, is that the one you're talking about?

Oh it is? To me the original game is UFO:Enemy unknown and the new one nuXcom or XCOM. I know the expansions name is Enemy within…

Edit: UFO:Enemy unknown is the correct name of the original. Xcom:Ufo defense is the not quite as good sounding US name… ;)

Oh it is? To me the original game is UFO:Enemy unknown and the new one nuXcom or XCOM. I know the expansions name is Enemy within…

Edit: UFO:Enemy unknown is the correct name of the original. Xcom:Ufo defense is the not quite as good sounding US name… ;)

Yeah, it wasn't enough for Firaxis to use XCom, so they used the subtitle as well.

As to your question, I do prefer the original or open XCom to Xenonauts.

Yeah, it wasn't enough for Firaxis to use XCom, so they used the subtitle as well.

As to your question, I do prefer the original or open XCom to Xenonauts.

I played Xenonauts when it hit 1.0, but it must've been at least 10 years since I played the original. Time to rectify that perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom