Sega - to revive old IP

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gamebanshee noticed that Obsidian Entertainment tweeted in response to Sega planning to revive some of its old IPs, "You don't say. What if...?". This has led to speculation that Alpha Protocol 2 could be revived. Gematsu has the rundown on Segas plans called the road to 2020.

A "major issue" Sega says it will tackle is to "create titles that will become global hits." To do this, they plan on reviving past IPs and actively utilizing existing IPs, new IPs, and external IPs, and maximizing the value of said IPs by expanding development channels (mobile devices, PC, and game consoles) and regions of the respective IPs' development for a global simultaneous release.

Elsewhere in the report, Sega said that sales of Persona 5 and Total War: Warhammer performed well in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2017, and total unit sales were 10.28 million, surpassing the figure in the previous fiscal year. For the fiscal year ending March 31, 2018, Sega plans to further develop sales of Persona 5 overseas, and plans unit sales of 11.6 million with titles like Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III, Endless Space 2, and Total War: Warhammer 2 set to release.
More information.

Revive checkpoints based games?
I can understand the excitment from those who never saw an option to save their progress when UPS starts beeping like crazy. Me? Count me not interested.

The statement probably means nothing, but I do find the prospect of another AP rather interesting. The original was certainly flawed, but also very interesting. Original, to say the least.

Revive checkpoints based games?
I can understand the excitment from those who never saw an option to save their progress when UPS starts beeping like crazy. Me? Count me not interested.

But what if they developed MMO games for phones, free to play but fueled with microtransactions? Would that crack your flinty disinterest?

Kind of sounds a bit desperate from Obs.
Still love AP, but I don't see it happening( and with recent Andromeda underperforming...)
But a game with Steven Heck in the lead?

My bet is on one of their old, iconic Japanese games, such as
- Phantasy Star (yes, I know there is PSU, but still hope for a proper PS game),
- Shining Force (with the Total War engine? count me in!),
- Panzer Dragoon (hope they won't go Tolkien with this one),
- Lunar (always a fan favourite in Japan),
- Skies of Arcadia (ditto)

Anyway, we'll see.

No no no, forget AP. Dig up that Aliens game instead and finish it!

The old classic Sega rpg's that are collected together on Steam have given me hundreds of hours of entertainment. I'm willing to give them a chance in the future based off some of their past accomplishments.

The old classic Sega rpg's that are collected together on Steam have given me hundreds of hours of entertainment. I'm willing to give them a chance in the future based off some of their past accomplishments.

I wouldn't mind seeing a return to the Phantasy Star series, but I know that's unlikely to happen. The original Phantasy Star was one of my favorites when I was a kid.

Shining Force was pretty good as well. The sequels were crap though.

Back
Top Bottom