The Surge - Review Roundup

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
There are quite a number of reviews available for The Surge, ranging from bad to good.

No Rating, but positive:

More information.

Last edited:
For those who bought or will buy the game, 12 tips:
http://www.vg247.com/2017/05/16/the-surge-tips-scrap-core-power-implants-armour-farming-upgrades/

The Surge: 12 tips for farming upgrades, implants, scrap, armour, core power and more

Eurogamer also made a review, played on PS4, scoreless:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-16-the-surge-review

It's sure to find a decent following among the Souls hardcore as there's a lot here that's familiar for them to enjoy, but really these players have two fights on their hands - that against the enemies of The Surge, and that against the feeling The Surge isn't all it could have been. And that bloody, incessant song, of course.

There is a review also on PCgamesN, 8/10:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-surge/the-surge-pc-review

Subverting expectations is something The Surge is very good at - it’s not just a Souls clone with a lick of science fiction paint. It’s subtly different, an evolution on the hardcore action-RPG genre. It might not be better, it might not even be as good as that beloved franchise it bears such a striking resemblance to mechanically, but that’s not the point. The Surge is a superb game on its own terms, compelling in every nook and cranny, lopped-off limb, and newfound shortcut. Underpinning it all is a surprisingly engaging, multifaceted narrative, and a set of combat mechanics that offer a little something for every type of player, but that punish all comers with equal aplomb.

Last edited:
Weird - players reviews are generlaly positive (90%) on steam.

Well, that's what you get with a binary review system as Steam's. One may find that a game is not overly engaging but still too good to give it an outright thumbs down so you sort of "have to" give it a thumbs up.
We are also only seeing release week reviews here. People who spend €50 on a game may be more likely to give a thumbs up to validate their purchase.

I always take the pure Steam review score merely as a very general guideline whether a game is complete crap or worth taking a closer look at.
If a game interests me in general and the Steam score is at least "mostly positive" then I do more research like actually reading the Steam reviews, watching a LP on YT or join a random Twitch stream to watch someone play the game live (usually with the sound off to avoid spoilers).

Such low scores come well-deserved for this mediocre LotF clone.

As of last night Steam reviews were quite bad. They must have improved quite a bit since.

Whoa, quite a large spread on those reviews. I'm not interested either way, but it seems the opinions differ more than usual on this one?

That pcgamer review is really bad. There is no useful information about what the game actually is, rather you just have the word "Dark souls" every third sentence.

Reading that, doesn't even explain about the menus, inventory, performance etc.....wth pcgamer.

The review seem to be pretty widely spread, so I guess this is a game that maybe only appeals to certain people. I am currently playing Lords of the Fallen and am enjoying it, but I have heard many complaints regarding how it is just a Dark Souls wannabe. I find some things I like about it more than DS, for instance one of the annoying parts of DS was having to run past a gauntlet of enemies every time just to reattempt a boss fight. I just beat the 6th boss in the game and so far there has been a save close to the boss and not a lot of enemies in between.

The Surge is not something I am going to jump on at this price, but since I am enjoying Lords of the Fallen I am sure I will pick it up in a year or two.

The scores vary greatly. I don't have a formed opinion about this game since I'm not following it closely, but sadly every "DS-wannabe" or "DS-clone" out there (as some reviewers call these games) are reviewed at disadvantage because most reviewers tend to judge them for what they wanted to be (Dark Souls), not for what they really are.

Funny thing is how Souls "took" as much from Severance which most people haven't even heard about.
But the setting here is off putting in comparison.
Terminator Hack&Slash, now that would be something.

How to stupify your kids,

1. buy them consoles
2. get them The Surge

result:

z7ODJgG.jpg

Funny thing is how Souls "took" as much from Severance which most people haven't even heard about.

OFFTOPIC:
Nitpicking, but not really. The Souls games are based on From Software's very own King's Field games, which were considered ahem... bottom of the barrel games on PlayStation :)
Anyway, the Souls template is as good as ever, so it is inevitable that clones would follow.

ONTOPIC:
Personally, I liked Lords of the Fallen, so I'll give The Surge a whirl too.

Souls games didn't take much from Severance AFAIK. I mean, they both have melee combat focus and share a similar setting - but the gameplay foundations are extremely different.

How to stupify your kids,

1. buy them consoles
2. get them The Surge

result:

That's not how you spell "stupefy". Better stay off them consoles.

I wouldn't touch consoles with a 10-foot SJW person, don't worry

Oh and wow, my typo = giant WIN for the Ripper. Who actually cares though,

A) No one
B) No one
C) No one
D) Ripper

icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

Not really mate. Just slightly funny to get your spelling of the word "stupefy" wrong while being a smartarse. :p

Back
Top Bottom