Cyberpunk 2077 - Assets Stolen

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Eurogamer reports that assets have been stolen from Cyberpunk 2077 and are being held to ransom. The assets themselves are from an old build and not representative of the final product.

Here's the studio's statement in full:

"An unidentified individual or individuals have just informed us they are in possession of a few internal files belonging to CD Projekt Red. Among them are documents connected to early designs for the upcoming game, Cyberpunk 2077.

A demand for ransom has been made, saying that should we not comply, the files will be released to the general public. We will not be giving in to the demands of the individual or individuals that have contacted us, which might eventually lead to the files being published online. The appropriate legal authorities will be informed about the situation.

The documents are old and largely unrepresentative of the current vision for the game. Still, if you're looking forward to playing Cyberpunk 2077, it would be best for you to avoid any information not coming directly from CD Projekt Red.

When the time is right, you will hear about Cyberpunk 2077 from us - officially.

CD Projekt Red Team"
[...]
More information.

Lulz, how very Cyberpunk

If they ever identify this person (or group) - maybe they should demand a ransom from him - lest they "leak" the identity to the public :)

I'm pretty sure trying to sabotage the next CDPR game will not go down well with a lot of the more rabid fans.

Maybe Bobo will personally sit on the guilty!

Who tries to ransom art assets?
Hilarious!

If they ever identify this person (or group) - maybe they should demand a ransom from him - lest they "leak" the identity to the public :)

I'm pretty sure trying to sabotage the next CDPR game will not go down well with a lot of the more rabid fans.

Maybe Bobo will personally sit on the guilty!

Probably a 3 hour session of MEA. It will make the Bioware fans all warm inside and still be considered by the vast majority of the gaming community as an Inquisition level punishment.

Hmm, the statement only mentions design docs, not actual ingame assets...

This is kind of a stupid ransom. I guess CDPR will not even care very much if they release those art designs to the public

yeah, apparently it was all an ancient stuff.

I'm kinda sad the hacker haven't release the old stuff. I wanted to see it!

Unless they changed the whole design drastically, this leak would be very damaging - it will show the paths of the different stories, characters involved, .. etc. which will spoil much of the game.

I really hope it is just scraps of initial thoughts left out on some administrator's computer that has no value.

The same thing happened with TW3 (in 2014) and that time CDP said to avoid it because it would spoil stuff (which it did). This time they said "Do it! it's all old garbage anyway".

Unless they changed the whole design drastically, this leak would be very damaging - it will show the paths of the different stories, characters involved, .. etc. which will spoil much of the game.

Design documents for RPGs are long and I dont think most ppl will study it in detail. Its also subject to change. I dont think it will harm them that much.

Maybe they should react like Mel Gibson in Ransom. :)

Ransom-1996.jpg

Word has it, this was black ops done by Todd Howard and his sidekick, NewDart.
The two approached the building under cover of night and then NewDart managed to push Howard into a ventilation shaft…Tood then using Skyrim's stealth, uh, techniques managed to sneak past CDPR's security and steal the plans from server room.
Unfortunately, they realized a bit too late that they were too complicated for Bethesda's next game and so they went for ransom instead…but CDPR pulled a Jagr, so that didn't work either. :rotfl:

The thieves should me made to play really bad video games for the next 10 years. I mean really bad, not just least favorite. But I suppose that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

There is article that it could be CDP marketing:

www.keengamer.com/article/16547_cd-projekt-reds-statement-could-be-cyberpunk-2077-marketing

The thieves should me made to play really bad video games for the next 10 years. I mean really bad, not just least favorite. But I suppose that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

Maybe there is even more fitting punishment - to have to study and remember each sentence from such elevated piece of art as design documents for Ubi open world games, EA Sports Games, MMO shooters, next Sims or Candy Crush Saga. :)

Last edited:
Maybe CD Projekt should include that incident into their game ?

Word has it, this was black ops done by Todd Howard and his sidekick, NewDart.
The two approached the building under cover of night and then NewDart managed to push Howard into a ventilation shaft…Tood then using Skyrim's stealth, uh, techniques managed to sneak past CDPR's security and steal the plans from server room.
Unfortunately, they realized a bit too late that they were too complicated for Bethesda's next game and so they went for ransom instead…but CDPR pulled a Jagr, so that didn't work either. :rotfl:

Actually, site forensics in fact show that it was not NewDart, but in fact Rendelius, who, using a flatline of the Dartinian second account, jacked an ICEbreaker into CDProjekt using the upgraded Jolt UI. Like RPGDot, CDProjeckt had no idea what hit them.

Now in the outback, he and Dhruin, with mirrored glassed firmly in place, sit, waiting for the dollareedoos to come in and playing the alpha 2.0 copy of the original sequel, The Warlocker, to the strains of Dub music.

Back
Top Bottom