Ealdorlight - Procedural history RPG

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Ealdorlight is on Kickstarter which is described as being a new kind of RPG: roguelike step-based combat, a realistic damage model & procedural history/society in Unreal Engine. The game is seeking 40K and has made 7K with 26 days to go.

Ealdorlight is a new kind of RPG which merges procedural generation of history with a story-focused goal, a realistic damage model and "step-based" Roguelike combat.

It combines elements of Mount and Blade and Dwarf Fortress: Adventure mode gameplay with Unreal Engine graphics and a compelling story that guides and gives focus to the player.

The game is set in a medieval kingdom where magic is rare and mysterious. You discover at the beginning of the game that you were found lost as a small child, and the identity of your real family is unknown.

Soon after, you meet the Ealdorlight, a legendary supernatural being not seen for centuries, who tells of darkness in the kingdom and invites you to take the King's place.

You must leave your adopted home and travel the land, gaining connections, title and influence in order to discover your real family, and to win the throne: through honour, intrigue, or force.

The game has "step-based" combat with a realistic damage system that models bones, muscles and organs. It also procedurally generates an new kingdom history, society and people every game. Each time you play you'll meet different characters with different backstories.
Thanks nanni68!

More information.

Reminds me of Summoner; realtime movement and turned based combat.

Same as with "Ash of Gods" (was there actually a news article about it? Couldnt find any) I think that the entry level is a little too high for such a low profile / high risk project.

While I like the procedural aspect of Ealdorlight, I am not seeing how the combat can work.
While a realistic "no hitpoint system" can sound fun, it can also be extremely frustrating as it's not very predictable. One unlucky hit and you are toast.
In addition the risk is high, that you basically do the same attack order each combat, which then makes it very repetitive.

And I wouldn't be suprised if this game shows up as 20€/20$ early access game, so the 15 £ supporters (no early acccess) got a bad deal in general.

All the power to them, but the following paragraph worries me:

"You must leave your adopted home and travel the land, gaining connections, title and influence in order to discover your real family, and to win the throne: through honour, intrigue, or force."

Hum...

Looks interesting. Not a fan of procedurely generated story quests however....Will keep an eye on this though.

Back
Top Bottom