Tyranny - New DLC Coming

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamesN points to some teasers and thinks new DLC is coming for Tyranny.

Obsidian have been teasing something Tyranny-flavoured, over on their Twitter account. Our guess is it’s some DLC. What else could it be?

It’s doubtful we’ll ever see a sequel to the RPG that lets you be the bad guy, since it’s struggled to meet sales expectations. Still, it’s good that the game is still being supported despite those lower player numbers.

There have been two tweets: one shows a volcano spewing out molten lava, while the other shows a deep, dark dungeon.

More information.

That art piece, cracked wall as a tease?

1/10

DLC? Nah, probably it's just another portrait pack. Maybe this time they're going to add some horse armor, too.

That art piece, cracked wall as a tease?

1/10

Yeah that's a horribly uninspiring image. It's not even an interesting looking dungeon....

Hopefully it is some proper new content though rather than a portrait pack or something. If so, I'll probably pick it up.

Why are we commenting twitter pics here?
A suggestion - please open social networks commenting subsection. I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of comments on someone's instagram or something.

The Tyranny Developers are in a dark place right now and about to blow their tops.

I certainly think it's interesting that Avellone opted to go head to head with Obsidian with Kingmaker.

I mean, there was some talk about how his work wasn't being used much in PoE - and then he left, or something?

Maybe it's for the best. I think Obsidian could use a good kick in their complacency.

I know people are falling over themselves praising PoE - but I, for one, would really like to see Obsidian up their game. I think they have it in them, somewhere.

Maybe it's for the best. I think Obsidian could use a good kick in their complacency.

Obsidian narrowly avoids going under thanks to PoE, and now they're "complacent"? That seems unlikely. They're a small gaming company that lacks the resources to produce AAA games.

Obsidian narrowly avoids going under thanks to PoE, and now they're "complacent"? That seems unlikely. They're a small gaming company that lacks the resources to produce AAA games.

Complacency could actually be the reason they're skirting disaster all the time. Again, they need to up their game, if you ask me.

Complacency could actually be the reason they're skirting disaster all the time. Again, they need to up their game, if you ask me.

Hmm. Well to me at least, Obsidian took a decent-sized gamble with Tyranny. I'm not sure how that is being complacent. Being complacent would be using an existing ruleset (Pathfinder) and an existing setting (Kingmaker) to create a type of game (isometric party cRPG) that others have made before.

Everybody needs to up their game. :)

Last edited:
Tyranny's flaws always felt to me a symptom of running out of money, and I greatly enjoyed the ride until then. The portrait DLC was a horrible idea for a myriad of reasons. If this is real, honest to god more content then they have my money.

Tyranny in all accounts is still expensive and Paradox are exploiting the hell out of it with their different 'commander', 'archon', .. etc. versions with additional ringtones, posters and other crap.

The portrait DLC is a joke.

They have been putting Tyranny on sale since release and that did not seem to help considering their overpricing (check out the latest Humble E3 Ticket for 60% and 50% off coupons for the different Tyranny versions, and 'pay what you want' for the portrait DLC).

They're a small gaming company that lacks the resources to produce AAA games.

They are talentless and would produce bland shite even If they had millions, it has nothing with money

Could be a good chunk in length, at least 10 hours or so.
Nine you will spend on loading screens. Maybe they could add a new violine theme? :p

Hmm. Well to me at least, Obsidian took a decent-sized gamble with Tyranny. I'm not sure how that is being complacent. Being complacent would be using an existing ruleset (Pathfinder) and an existing setting (Kingmaker) to create a type of game (isometric party cRPG) that others have made before.

Everybody needs to up their game. :)

Maybe it has something to do with how we see PoE differently - and what taking a gamble means.

If you think PoE is a bold new step in the genre, then we certainly don't agree :)

It's about as safe as you can get - and the ruleset wasn't gambling - that was merely a mistake brought on by designer arrogance and incompetence.

Well, from my point of view, anyway.

Kingmaker doesn't look like much of a gamble, either. I mean, what's the big risk with these crowdfunded games? That they don't get funded? Wow :)

Well, Tyranny wasn't crowdfunded. And that's the one he said was a gamble.

Good point, I missed that :)

Still, my point remains - that PoE was a pretty big success and very safe.

Tyranny was, to me, a pretty underwhelming use of the engine - and didn't seem at all like a conscious gamble in terms of cost. I mean, it can't have been that expensive for them to make.

The fact that it wasn't so successful wasn't because of a roll of the die - it was just another example of Obsidian being incompetent.

I know that sounds harsh, but seriously. How could anyone expect such a niche title to do all that well?

I honestly thought they would have known that - and I thought it was just a little pet-project they put out to capitalize on the work they'd done with PoE.

I still think so. I just don't think they understood the limited scope of such a game.

I think Tyranny made them a decent profit. Approx 200K copies have been sold so far. If you figure $45 avg (there were more expensive editions but also, I assume, some sales), and then subtract out a 30% cut (that's what Steam's is, not sure about GOG etc), then they would have brought in $6.3M of revenue from it so far. I imagine its budget was around $2M (if not less), so that's still >$4M of profit, and a really nice profit margin. And it will continue to make a lot more money for them in the years to come. I'm not sure that equates to it being "not successful". It just didn't end up being the massive slam-dunk cash-grab they were undoubtedly hoping for.

Back
Top Bottom