Battle Brothers - Mount & Blade meets XCOM

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer checked out Battle Brothers:

Battle Brothers is turn-based Mount & Blade meets XCOM

'It's basically an open-ended, Dungeons & Dragons-style campaign for players who prefer combat over storytelling.'

We recently, and rightly, complained on this website that Final Fantasy Tactics needs to come to PC. Yeah, we've got XCOM 2, Xenonauts, Shadowrun, Massive Chalice, and BattleTech is on the way, but fantasy turn-based tactics games where you're playing chess with customized soldiers are hard to come by.

As it turns out, a follow-up to FFT has been hiding in plain sight—a German equivalent of it, anyway.

I started Battle Brothers over the Memorial Day weekend after hearing designers Josh Sawyer and David Goldfarb rave about it on Twitter, and it's exactly the sort of combat-focused strategy game I've loved since Shining Force on Sega Genesis.

Battle Brothers is basically an open-ended, Dungeons & Dragons-style campaign for players who prefer combat over storytelling. You roam a procedurally-generated overworld map fighting goblins, varieties of undead, orcs, brigands, and competing mercenary companies on outdoor battlefields split into hexagons. Some of these threats are roaming, and will even chase your party around the map, but most of them sit and wait for you in forts and encampments.

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

The part about BB being an open-ended D&D campaign is 100% true. That is why it has made it into my personal top 5 games of all time.

Please change your minds on modding or a DLC :(

The part about BB being an open-ended D&D campaign is 100% true. That is why it has made it into my personal top 5 games of all time.

Please change your minds on modding or a DLC :(

yeah but looks like it won't happend, i'm curious about their new game ...

A lot of misinformation.

Less than 60 hours in a product like BB, you cant make a claim of liking that kind of stuff under the 800 hours~1000 hours bar. At that, you can start talking.

Naming ponys rainbow, chestnut, blup blup, in my little pony, that is roleplaying.

Comparing BB to M&B while stating that BB is light in storytelling (storytelling is core to M&B)

Claiming careful play cant avoid deaths in BB: it is quite hard to lose a company member in BB as there is an option similar to an egress spell in BB, the company can be withdrawn anytime.
etc

Please, anyone who hasn't left a Steam review, take a few minutes to do so.

Many players holding a grudge against the devs changed their positive reviews to negative when they heard Overhype definitively say they wouldn't be doing mods/DLC and the reviews dropped from 92% to 70%. Though now that they've all punished the creators of this amazing game, I anticipate new players will push the reviews back up again.

That's a real shame. Overhype deciding to move on to a new game after Battle Brothers hardly crosses the threshold warranting a review-bombing protest. People these days need to chill the hell out.

I would say I am as disappointed as anyone that BB is not being updated with new content anymore. But I would never change my review or act like a spoiled brat because I did not get my way. Some people are going to have a hard time coping when real disappointment hits them. I guess when you hit a certain age you either roll with the punches or become a bitter old fool :)

I guess when you hit a certain age you either roll with the punches or become a bitter old fool :)

But why not both? :D

maybe they won't add content anymore but they gave me 680 hrs of fun already so i can't talk shit about overhype.

How many of these hours were collected since the final release? In a crowdfunded project, until the final release is done, all hours put into a product does not count toward the hours played. Players merely participate to the feedback stage.

Enjoying the feedback stage is different from enjoying playing a game.

Please, anyone who hasn't left a Steam review, take a few minutes to do so.

Many players holding a grudge against the devs changed their positive reviews to negative when they heard Overhype definitively say they wouldn't be doing mods/DLC and the reviews dropped from 92% to 70%. Though now that they've all punished the creators of this amazing game, I anticipate new players will push the reviews back up again.

There is no grudge.

Until the final version is released, reviews can not reflect the quality of a final version. Simple as that.

Now the final version is out, people review it.

As to punishing creators of this amazing product, players were extremelly supportive of it during the early release stage. It's been a while crowdfunding supporters figured out that, similarly to a con, promoting the product in order to attract funds was the best way to get something out of it.

Based on devs' promises, they painted the product in a disingenous light, that did not correspond with the quality of the product. This led the product to be overvalued. The correction is happening now.

So, no, players never meant to punish devs, they are the root of the commercial success of BB by churning out undeservely positive reviews during the early release stage. This is when BB sold the most. On the sole merit of the final version, the sales are going to be another story.

Chien, do you ever talk anything but trash?

Back
Top Bottom