HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC PowerPlay has reviewed Expeditions: Viking:

Review: Expeditions: Viking

Nordic by nature.

The clue’s in the name. No, not the Viking bit. Though it does accurately describe the amount of beards and longships awaiting you. It’s the other bit, the bit before the colon.
Expeditions is the name of the series which began a few years back with Expeditions: Conquistador. Both games lean heavily into ideas of travel, of trekking to new places and returning home, of time passing. This is the kind of RPG that’s less about quests and more about journeys.

[...]

From the outset your goal isn’t to embark on a quest to save the world; rather you must prove yourself a worthy leader, navigate political instability and earn the respect of your people. This journey takes you all over northern Europe, but you keep returning to your home. Every time you do, you chat to your family and friends and realise how far you’ve come.

Score: 8/10 - A deep tactical - and strategic - RPG.
More information.

Had been waiting for 1.05 to fix combat easiness, but hearing it would be pushed later, was waiting for 1.06. Now waiting for 1.07 since newly discovered bugs have pushed the balance adjustment still later. I really want to experience this one at its best.

IMO you shouldn't wait, I played it on the release and regardelss of it's not so good design decisions, it was instaentry for my goty vote on RPGwatch at the end of this year.
Then again, if your backlog got fat so you don't know what to choose among so many titles, waiting for more polish is a preferred option.

One day I really really need to get back to this game. Played about six hours on day of release, heard about bugs and fled, never to return. Yet!

Had been waiting for 1.05 to fix combat easiness, but hearing it would be pushed later, was waiting for 1.06. Now waiting for 1.07 since newly discovered bugs have pushed the balance adjustment still later. I really want to experience this one at its best.

I have been waiting also. I have heard great things about the game but that the combat is super easy except for a few fights. I like hard battles like Battle Brothers or Temple of Elemental Evil.

Plus I F'ing love Vikings :)

IMO you shouldn't wait, I played it on the release and regardelss of it's not so good design decisions, it was instaentry for my goty vote on RPGwatch at the end of this year.
Then again, if your backlog got fat so you don't know what to choose among so many titles, waiting for more polish is a preferred option.

Why on earth shouldn't I wait for the final version? Is it going to be inferior if they fix combat difficulty?

Deep tactical game!? Just because it's turn based doesn't mean it's going to be deep. If you want that sort of thing, go play XCom or Valkyria Chronicles. (Or wait for Battletech <drool>)

The storytelling in this game is just plain weak, too. They introduce characters which sound interesting but then they just tag along, barely adding anything to the story.

Yeah I agree with Zloth as well. The battle isn't that tactical... I found D:OS a lot more superior in that regards and storytelling was a bit on the weak side too. I still enjoyed it heaps though, something about it is quite addictive...

I only played about six hours and it was on the default level and I believe that was the most difficult, if I'm remembering right. It wasn't hard at all, perhaps it gets more difficult later, but the battles I'd been in were not hard at all.

I played the game in it's final beta test and was quite disappointed with the combat. Did not draw me in, at all. Something about it, I cannot quite put my finger on it. As well, it is a bit thin on story. I lost interest after the first decent-size engagement (farm encounter at the beginning of the game)

Back
Top Bottom