Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - Early Access Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Fextralife checked out the Early Access version of Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem:

Wolcen Lords of Mayhem Features

• Dynamic combat system: fast-paced combat system with weapon-based combos and charged attacks. Dodge, Dash, Hack, Slash and unleash devastating spells on your enemies.
  • Open World: Discover the world and enjoy it at your own convenience.
  • Custom player: choose your gender and customize your player, skin color, hair, beard, eyes etc.
  • Tons of Loot: Weapons, Armor, Potions and randomly generated magic effects for more game play diversity.
Story and Setting

Before I get into the story and setting within the game, I’d like to first fill you in about how this game has evolved from a mod designed for Cryengine, to its current state. The game was originally known as Umbra and had humble beginnings in an apartment in 2013 developing into a prototype that was featured at GDC 2015. After getting some buzz, completing a Kickstarter campaign that raised $400,000 and becoming a full fledged indie studio we now have the early access title that is Wolcen Lords of Mayhem.

So now for the game. You play as a former officer of the Army of the Human Republic. After somehow developing magical powers, you are sentenced to death by your own people and decide to flee. After escaping death, you are recruited by a mysterious group know simply as, Templars. This is where your story begins. You play through escaping an initial dungeon where at it’s end you activate a waypoint that is noticed by one of the Templars who brings you to the main town of Amarth where you will be sent on your first quest. The story isn’t anything special but definitely borrows from other games. There was even a soldier in the town who “Can’t fight anymore because I took an arrow to the elbow.” Sound famliar at all?

[...]

Summary: Wolcen Lords of Mayhem is a game that has come from basically a proof of concept mod to a game that has a ton of potential. WOLCEN Studio has been changing the game for the better since it was offered for early access last year. They still have a long way to go but have a good base of a game that could flourish into something big. The developers have a good rapport with the community and even offer a roadmap that shows what they have planned for gameplay, features, new abilities and even multiplayer coming to the game. The game itself needs a little more content and polish if it wants to take on the big boys but it's in a position to make some waves if it shores up the ship. Note that this review score reflects its early access state and current price and is subject to change upon full release.

Score 7.5
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I agree with the 7.5 at this stage.

I bought into it a while ago and recently booted it up for the first time in a long time, just to get a better view of the progress since the last time.

I was impressed overall. The visuals look even better, the combat is smoother and more visceral, and while I did not play it much (don't want to ruin it like I did with Wasteland 2) I was satisfied and impressed with the progress.

I agree with the 7.5 at this stage.

I bought into it a while ago and recently booted it up for the first time in a long time, just to get a better view of the progress since the last time.

I was impressed overall. The visuals look even better, the combat is smoother and more visceral, and while I did not play it much (don't want to ruin it like I did with Wasteland 2) I was satisfied and impressed with the progress.

I agree. Development is not fast but steady and improvements in each build are significant. Has the potential to be a pretty terrific game.

I just wish I enjoyed this style of relentless ARPG more. I can't help but look at the terrific atmospheric graphics, and wonder what a great top down traditional RPG they could make with them.

I tried an early version of this and it wasn't terrible. I would describe it as so-so but with potential.

Will be keeping an eye out for it.

Back
Top Bottom