RPGWatch @ Gamescom - Vampyr

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Next in line in our series of Gamescom articles is Vampyr, which as the title indicates features vampires and is set in Londen 1918 during the Spanish flu.

Vampyr is a narrative action RPG set in London, in the year 1918. The Great War is over and the Spanish flu is killing millions all around the world, including in London. You play as Doctor Jonathan Reid a physician who has been turned into a vampire at the end of the war and now, next to saving lives, also needs to kill in order to survive and grow stronger.

The demo starts in the Pembroke hospital where you were invited to work there by the hospital administrator, who knows you are a vampire, but accepts that because of your skills in medicine. He needs your help in a case where two patients are missing. The demo also teaches us that there is a secret faction at work, the guards of Prewin, who's aim it is to kill all vampires, but hospitals are secret grounds where no blood, by or to vampires, is to be shed, which is also why the administrator feels it is safe to have a vampire work in his hospital.
More information.

And here is the second Gamescom article.

Thanks!

So without killing you won't get any XP? Is it known if you actually can finish the game wihtout gaining XP?

This looks rather cool actually. Not my main style of game because of the combat. Watched a demo play video and it has some twitch factors which I am not good at. The NPC stuff sounds cool although at the same time I suspect that will limit things if every NPC has to have a story and background. I also wonder how hard the game is if you didn't want to turn into a mass blood drinker. But I liked the theme and atmosphere and will keep an eye on it. Good article and some nice videos on it on youtube.

Thanks!

So without killing you won't get any XP? Is it known if you actually can finish the game wihtout gaining XP?

From the article:
Besides gaining experience by killing, collecting all the hints on an NPC will also reward you with XP.

You'll get XP. The question is can you finish the game without killing anyone? Dunno, but is worth trying IMO.
Unless certain main story fights are scripted in a way you can't proceed without killing someone critical to the plot.

This is what I'm totally scared of:
The game has more abilities that you can use and get better at though, but there are only four available as quick slots, which also nicely fits on the D-Pad of the controller they were using during the demo.
Basically, the reason why I won't preorder the game. I'll buy it only if people confirm playing with K+M is not broken.

In theory it should be possible I suppose, but it will be much harder as you don't level up that fast, which means the fights will be a lot harder.

I sense that old vampire, Acleacius will be attracted to this thread. :)

Ambiance really is great. One thing though...how does exploration "feel"? Is it sort of "hubworld"? Can you explore fully, verticality, no invisible walls, create your own entries, etc?

A pacifist run as a vampire?

Screw that… I'm going to feast. :)
Perhaps. I don't know yet. I just want to have the option.

Vampires are evil creatures in historical fiction, and always have been. Ever since they popped up in both mythical folklore and the original novel. It would be weird if they didn't encourage killing in this game...just sayin'.

Maybe those who don't like killing in games should think of this game like a first person shooter, in that it would be impossible to complete the game or go very far without killing someone.

You can go wherever you want and explore, save a citizen or two from a Skal attack (as they might have something interesting to say). You cannot enter buildings that are owned by NPCs though, as you need to be invited first.
And if you feast too much the entire are with all the quests in it is going to be lost, so there is a limit to that, unless you don't care obviously.

Vampires are evil creatures in historical fiction, and always have been. Ever since they popped up in both mythical folklore and the original novel. It would be weird if they didn't encourage killing in this game…just sayin'.
Well, I don't want to start an evil-good discussion but I don't think it's that simple. The one thing that I think vampires of all settings have in common is that they can (and to a certain degree must) drink blood. As it's normally not easy to get fresh blood in a peaceful way it must be taken by force which indeed is considered evil by non-vampires.
But I still think it's possible to create a consistent setting being as well consistent with common vampire lore where vampires find different ways to survive. I'm sure these exist (I'm not a vampire lore expert).
For me personally it would be intriguing to have the possibility between chosing to
  • A) feed on / kill humans, getting stronger and reaching the goals "easily" (beating the game) or
  • B) find another way to survive, staying weaker and struggling to reach the goals, but end the storyline in a defined state
What I wouldn't like is when acting according to B) makes it impossible to continue the game so the storyline stays in limbo.
I'd like to have the choice.

Maybe those who don't like killing in games should think of this game like a first person shooter, in that it would be impossible to complete the game or go very far without killing someone.
That's why I don't play pure shooters anymore. Too little options in conflict resolution.

You can feed on rats, there are plenty of them, if that makes you feel better about being a vampire. However their blood quality is low, so the effects of drinking their blood is also a bit on the low side.

Well, I don't want to start an evil-good discussion but I don't think it's that simple. The one thing that I think vampires of all settings have in common is that they can (and to a certain degree must) drink blood. …

Yepp. There are (I think) several sources of vampire lore, so there's no uniform characteristic of vampires. Except for the blood thing.

pibbur who mainly is a water (and milk - in coffee) drinker

Vampires are evil creatures in historical fiction, and always have been.

Usually, in terms of vampire fiction, three works are quoted as providing archetypes for vampires.

Bram Stoker's take on vampires, Anne Rice's take on vampires, White Wolf's take on vampires.

Taking only the last mentioned, the struggle to keep in touch with the lost humanity is a major thematic point.
Killing humans while feeding on them is troublesome as there is a shift in the balance of power and vampires are urged to keep a low profile.

WW universe looks it fits the bill for historical fiction considering that, before WW sold out, the metaplot was based on history.

Cautiously looking forward to this one. The whole conundrum between killing for the blood/XP or not sounds nifty.

... you were invited to work there by the hospital administrator, who knows you are a vampire, but accepts that because of your skills in medicine.

Sounds like a lame shortcut. He accepts the protagonist is a vampire because of his skills in medicine? Eh.

In Vampyr all NPCs in the game have a name, a story, relationships and secrets.

Every single NPC? Every merchant, guard, hobo, ...? There are no "nameless" NPCs whatsoever? I'm a little skeptical, unless the amount of NPCs is on the low side, which implies that the hubs/areas might feel underpopulated.
Is it known how many NPCs are in the game?

No, I don't know how many there are, but what I mentioned as NPCs (or they did actually) should exclude the guards of Prewin. You cannot communicate with them, when you get to close to them they will attack you.

Back
Top Bottom