Divinity: Original Sin II - Review Roundup #2

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Some new reviews are in for Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Hardcore Gamer, 5/5

Divinity: Original Sin II pulled off the impressive task of taking the kitchen sink approach to game design by cramming as much into it as possible yet somehow making it all work, making it a fantastic title for solo or multiplayer gaming. Playing the Divinity: Original Sin is not required to enjoy this title or its story, though having played the first game will make the experience more rewarding. Everything about Divinity: Original Sin II is of the highest quality and any negatives that could be said are basically nitpicking, such as the camera angles might obscure characters one percent of the time or the inventory set up isn’t as nice as you’ve seen in some other games. No game is perfect, but this one comes closer than most.
PCGamesN,9/10

Divinity: Original Sin 2 stands as a remarkable example of three genres: the classic roleplaying game, the online arena battler, and the tabletop-style adventure enabler. If its campaign fails to shake off some of Larian’s unfriendlier habits, those flaws are mitigated by the ways in which the studio have shaped a genre moulded by nostalgia into genuinely new forms - changing more than just the keyboard shortcuts for the better.
Trusted Reviews, 4/5

This is a great game for RPG fans to get their teeth into: over 20 hours in, you’ll notice the story only just starts gaining traction, and you may only just start getting familiar with the game’s myriad systems. The game is unforgiving, often mercilessly so, but if you have the patience to penetrate the density and crack open the core gameplay, there’s such a wealth of well-written RPG content, it’s impossible not to recommend.
More information.

I approve of these reviews. Larian sure as hell deserved it. Personally I'm loving the game, and especially the amount of freedom you have in solving tasks and building characters. Perfect? Of course not. Close enough? Yup.

I am with you topmasp3n, a perfect score does not mean a perfect game. it means a game measures up to all expectations of value and game play. I am really enjoying this game, it has challenges and good story. I am just about hitting the 20 hour mark myself, and if it truly gets better, this game will be a true classic.

20 hours?
I'm 84 hours in, exploring everything, looting everything, stealing everything, destroying everything, etc everything.
I've only scratched the second island, more than two thirds of the map are still under "fog of war"!

IMO for an explorer type of gamer, this game deserves every praise.

Perfect however it is not. Sorry. If I wasn't clear in other posts, UI is not on the same spectacular level as was in the first game - while I can close eyes on a few (honestly irrelevant) bugs I saw, on music not being top quality, on classes/attributes/skills/perks "being disappointing" specifics, on rewards generally being crap, etc - UI should IMO have been better.

Oh and what's with loading times lately? When I started the game I had no problems. Last couple of days (the game is on SSD here) loading IMO takes too much time.
And I assure you I'm not playing this game on a phonsole!

Oh and what's with loading times lately? When I started the game I had no problems. Last couple of days (the game is on SSD here) loading IMO takes too much time.
And I assure you I'm not playing this game on a phonsole!

The save file goes from 5mb in act 1 to over 12mb in act 2.

Back
Top Bottom